1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Haenel 300 Meets F1...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by rabbitwrecker, Jul 14, 2018.

1. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter...

As per title, put the little 300 over the Chrony F1 this afternoon, just to see what's what. With a limited selection of pellets to hand - all the good stuff's at the farm - I plumped for the 8.49 grain H&N Neue Spitzkugel. Probably not an ideal choice in the long run, but they had shown the most promise of the three brands tested. A 23 fps spread over a 10 shot string was a little disappointing, though not surprising.
    The average ME of 3.7 ft/lbs seemed a little on the low side, but I really have no idea what the output should be. JSB RS could easily add another half ft/lb. Now I'm not power crazy, but I would like to be getting around 5-6 ft/lbs, simply to elevate the little Haenel from pure garden plinker to barn gun status - as an alternative to the 30s.
    I did notice that the firing cycle was on the slammy side, a good sign that the leather piston seal - the breech seal too - may require some attention. While she's in bits, I'll likely change the mainspring, which I'm told is the original. Also in line for an upgrade is the barrel latch spring, as it seems just a shade too easy to overcome. Fortunately, Chambers appears to have a good supply of spares available.
    I had intended to glass-up with a classic Weaver K1.5-1, but in retrospect, my Hawke RD 1x25 might be more appropriate. (Considering the low power output, it's unlikely that the 300 will be used much past 10-15 yards). There appears to be some barrel droop in evidence, so a bit of shimming may be required. I don't normally like to use shims, but in this case it won't be a major issue.
    Still really pleased with my purchase - this rifle has plenty of potential...

robs5230, JohnHG and Hiram like this.
  2. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

I'll be eager to see what energy you get it to. I think I could live with 6 FPE.

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  3. JohnHG

JohnHG Engaging Member

It is very close to my 1950 Diana(Milbro) 25 which gives 3.9 ft/lbs and at close range 10/15 m
    took care of lots of PC in the past before I knew better via a Chronograph

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  4. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter...

Hiram, if I could get 600 fps - that's around 6 ft/lbs with RS - out of her I'd be more than happy. My pal and I have taken rabbits, rats, squirrels, woodies and magpies out to 25 yards with the 30s and that's only running 50 fps faster.

John, I don't doubt it for one minute. Because of our legal limit, many people here seem to be fixated on power output. At such low energy levels, I believe that velocity is far more relevant to achieving a clean kill. Accuracy is paramount of course...

JohnHG likes this.
  5. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

I believe it. I have a pic I could post of a beer can I hit on the very edge of the bottom of the can (can lying on its side with the bottom pointed at me), where the aluminum is creased and hard, with a JSB Express .22 at a paced out 52 yards. I shot it with the 50s and was amazed at how far that pellet went into the can, pushing aluminum the whole way. How much energy is left on an Express shot from a 50s at 52-ish yards? I dunno, but it can't be a lot more than 6 FPE or so, I'd think. I'm also always delighted at how smashed the pellets shot from a sub 12 get hitting spinners at 30 yards or so. When I started into this airgun odyssey I thought it was weird that 12 FPE would be regarded as good for anything. I mean, here, 22lr is considered a kid's cartridge, after all. Well, now I'm a believer. I can easily see where 6 FPE could do the job with good shot placement. I love your UK hunting videos because I love to see good precise shooting.

Rm29 and rabbitwrecker like this.
  6. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

20180625_130110.jpg

That's the one. That pellet was still moving pretty good to do that.