1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Had my first "ratting" session last night. It went really.........

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Jam1e, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Jam1e

Jam1e Active Member

Crap!:(
    I have no idea why??
    To explain the circumstances, the farmer told me he had problems with what he perceived to be a large number of rats in the very large grain bins in one of his barns. He asked if i could sort them out, to which i agreed.
    I said i couldn't do it for a couple of weeks and he was fine with that.
    Since then he has emptied the bins and cleaned the whole concrete barn out and had been putting down a new type of poison, (no idea what)
    Anyhow, i arrived on Saturday night at around 10:40pm. I crept as quietly i could into the barn where the huge grain bins are kept. Just to point out i am having to use a red filter light at the moment as my diy NV is pending, thanks to the help of "Yogi" :D
    Anyhow, i went to my pre-arranged position and sat down in the pitch dark, as quiet as a, eer mouse! :p and waited.
    After around half an hour i heard what sounded like one rat moving about on a gantry above me. Then what sounded like another single rat on a bin lid. I turned on the red filter light and scanned around me including around the roof on the metal framework of the barn. I didn't see a single rat!! I released the pressure switch and decided to stay put for another half and and did the same with the red light. Again no rats seen.:(
    I then decided to climb the short ladder onto the gantry and sat yet again in silence in the dark for another half hour. At this point i could hear scurrying about of what sounded like just one rat. I gave it another ten minutes then scanned round with the red lamp. Only to briefly see one rat dart along the steel roof joist and into a hole in the barn sheeting. I gave it around another half hour and heard nothing. I scanned the area again and saw nothing. At this point i'd had enough and buggered off into the nearby field and bagged a couple of rabbits before going home.
    Now in my daytime visit, there were very little rat turds about and what i did see had been there since cleaning out the barn a week or 2 before.
    Now i'm no rocket scientist but would i be right in thinking that if the place had a real rat problem it would have been littered with rat turds after 2 weeks since the clean out??
    Also, i'm led to believe rats become imune to poison after a while so a new type of poison has to be used, which is what the farmer had done.
    So the question i'm asking myself any anyone else out there who does "ratting", has the rat problem been temporarily sorted with the new poison? And having no food source the remaining rats have buggered off to find food elsewhere???:confused:

2. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

There is your answer. Even rats can't survive on fresh air. How much of the poison he has put down gone? Sometimes in a situation like this you will see "groggy" rats about where the poison is taking its toll but hasn't finished them off yet.

Some poisons are ineffective in certain situations, the new poisons are deadly though - old style warfarin is virtually neutralised by maize silage. The new generation rat poisons don't suffer this problem. Pasta baits are very good at getting tricky rats, they will often come for the pasta based poisons when all else fails. That won't help you though!

3. kenhawker

kenhawker Honorary Member

I have a similar situation, I shoot rats for Lord Staffords farm owners. There are a couple of lads that do a bit of ratting with terriers and beleave me you can tell if they have been ratting. The place seem like where isnt a rat problem at all. The farmer doesnt use poison of any sort because of his wifes cats.
    We have been before where on night the place is crawling as if the is a rat carpet moving along the floor, but you can go the following night an theres nothing or perhaps the odd one or two. So we would leave it a couple of nights and the place is like a rat farm again.

4. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Nice looking lurcher there, Ken.;)

5. gotta go tactical

gotta go tactical Posting Addict

Sounds like the combination of no food and poison has done a good enough job of moving them along if not killed them...I have same problem but not with poison or lack of food but they just dont seem to be around...Could be that the time I am out (till around just after midnight) is still not always dark enough with the moonlight and the recent rain may have also forced them up to higher ground...Who knows....All I know is my ratty tally is not moving much over the last few weeks...

6. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello the best solid rat poison is called jaguar in big tubs, not the small blue pellets but are big pinky color, these will kill rats, the blueys are pretty useless. check with farmer? does the grain store have underground venting tunnels? thats where are lot of rats hide, does the barn have a large extraction air system, that could be the way in from out side, once you find the source of entry then your half way there, oh and they will climb up just about anywhere, including gantries and ladders. one thing to watch is pellet flyers off steel sheet or concrete having shot a rat straight through and came back to hit me, lucky my welly!!