1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

GUTTED!

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by engraver, Sep 18, 2014.

1. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

This time just a few weeks ago I was out in late afternoon sunshine, watch bunnies hopping around in the distance and shooting woodies on a laid wheat field.#

Im looking outside dark depressing windows now onto street lamps, only flippin quarter to Eight:(

It all seems to come at once winter doesn't it.

That's why Ive made the best of the hunting the last few weeks of this brilliant summer we have had, I really made it crack.

I do it with nights like this in mind, as I knew It would be a blink before our nights would draw in.

All I can say lads is its been one hell of a summer, and one to be remembered, I always treat them like my last.

Oh well role on next spring, in the meantime I will be bitting and batting around maybe shooting the od winter woodie and squirrel.

I don't really do the NV thing maybe I should but those woodies are still the only thing giving me that bump in my heart rhythm, I drove over woodhead bypass today and passed a field still to be baled, grey over with woodies, and thought they will always be more good days to be had.:hunting:

2. landymick

landymick Very Active

Yep,looks like thats it now.Might have to get the Photon out again soon.

3. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

Don't give in to the dark, I've got my halogen lamp down the garden at 35 yards with the target cards hung up, patio doors open, Prosport and S200 on the table, beer next to me and the Mrs about to bring me a curry! :D

4. nath92

nath92 Donator

Least you made the most of it mate , I surely enjoyed reading your writups , the dark and cold won't be putting a stop to my outings I enjoy going out for the rabbits with the lamp I enjoy the extreme silence too just me being weird I spose :D and I just fancy a beer and a curry now ;)

Atb
    Nath

5. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Ive got a lamp myself, but its that trugeing around muddy fields at night in drizzle that doesn't seem appealing to me, then dragging all that mud into the house when you come home, for the sake of a shot or three.

I did it when I was younger in fact I couldn't have done much more, so Ive done that got the T shirt.

But for me Of all the shooting sports Ive done, I like my summer woodies shooting, but one good thing there is a lot of Rape been planted on my permissions this year, so first frost may turn those birds on, but in my experience they will only do this when all the berries have gone from the trees and it must be bitter cold with nothing much else for them to feed on.

But Ive sat in bitter cold, hands numb face and lips numb in snow for hours to shoot a few woodies, cant beat sat in a summer hide sun blazing down on you getting a shot every 5 mins its the best sport there is.;):up:

6. nath92

nath92 Donator

Can't argue there mate (last paragraph) and now you mention it the misses is never impressed when I show up full of mud ect out of the two its summer time hunting although I still enjoy the winter :D
    Atb
    Nath

7. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Don't despair, this is why we have Sunday afternoons, and winter also gives you a clearer shot and a condensed window of opportunity for the little b*****s to escape! :p

Winter is only long if you let it be.

James

8. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, no ratties on your perm? just buy a cree 501B with red led and thumb switch and a easy off mount just in case?

9. harry brown

harry brown Banned BANNED

I don't mind the winter months for shooting myself. One of the farmers was saying he'd had lots of airgunners/shotties ringing and knocking on his door this summer for permission. Be interested to hear if the calls dwindle over the coming months!

10. nath92

nath92 Donator

I imagine numbers will lessen myself had a chap fone me up , whom I approached months ago about shooting permission and was met with the response no sorry lad got enough on at the moment already (which was fare enough ) had a call that these other chaps have been going less and less to control a big rabbit problem he has I'm pretty sure I will have another call from him within the month sorry if this post makes me sound bitter lol quite the opposite

Atb
    Nath

11. Barni

Barni Donator

Yep it soon rolls round ..... late summer evening shoots ..... then its dark !! .... HEY who hit the lights ? Goddammmit ! :eek:

Time to hit the mornings :)

12. harry brown

I think landowners appreciate it when guys are on the perms in shittie weather.

Don't get me wrong, most of my shooting this summer has been in shorts and vest and trainers! However the farms run 24/7 and the vermin seem to present different problems at each time of the year.

I'm looking forward to using my HW in the barns. I've not given it much use this summer due to playing with new toys but you cannot beat sub 12 in and around barns IMO.

Some guys on this forum have had fantastic results with their airguns (Engraver, Daveratz,DJratboy,Timmytree, pelletpower, Harwich shooter + many more) many spring to mind with some great posts/results. I think the winter is what shows the permission owners you are committed to doing what you promise when first knocking on their door. Oh well in another six months we'll be looking forward to another great summer....And Elliot (Engraver) showing us how it's done properly! Keep the write ups going over the winter into spring mate. ;)

13. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Got one mate:up:

I shoot all year around don't have to worry about that, I not nesh or anything total opposite actually Im really warm blooded so don't get cold much, compared to my partner who was brought up by a family who sit in a house with heating on all year lol, I never did understand that:confused:

I remember going with a mate stalking to Scotland 9 months after my leg amputation, when we arrived it was -11 degrees temp and I nearly caught hyperthermia that night sleeping up there in the back of a transit van, seriously cold conditions when the whole track up there is iced over, clear skies up there can make even the grass turn white, I have to be carefull was very painfull as circulation doesn't work like it should especially in those conditions.

Im woody shooting even in snow[​IMG] I just prefer those summer nights when it comes to airgunning and fishing that's all.

I remember going out the winter before last in the snow we had, and the roads to my shoots were blocked off and not a car on the roads I had just had general grabbers fitted to the landy so I got to my shoot, left the car where I could Ive never heard it as silent, anyway I got to the field I was going to and a massive snow drift against this path leading to one of the woods had created a tunnel and I got in it at one point, and to my great surprise, there were about 40 partridge huddled up inside and two ducks, the pigeons were too cold to fly and I felt so bad shooting anything I came home.

A few weeks later I was soo sludgy I was carrying two dead squirrels and my hw100tk, when I slipped at the top of a bank, went arse over tit squirrels went flying I tried with everything I had got not to mark my nice hw and turned jarring my back stuck the gun in the mud, my leg came off and I ended up in a pile at the bottom of the ditch with my leg inbetween my shoulder blades, It was quite scary actually because the first thing that went through my mind with the leg was I thought I has broke my stump open again (not the first time, and means I cant walk for 12 months) but thankfully this time after 15 minutes of slowly turning I was ok and crawled back to the motor.

But its daft things you don't think about when you have two legs, I like Dry conditions now, as mud means I fall a lot, that's my biggest fear now, its a bit like trying to hunt by hopping around your shoots with a gun in your hand its bloody unnerving at times, seriously I sometimes crawl and hands and knees where its slippy due to risk of falling.

Anyway, I welcome all the seasons and look forward to those crisp white over frosty mornings with the sun shining, looking for squirrels with the airgun this time of year, as that's all I shot squirrels for a good number of years on my original permission there wasn't much else to shoot so I do enjoy that.

14. Barni

Barni Donator

Come rain or shine ... a decent hunter dont mind the weather :)

15. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Unless you loose a leg Barni then its game changer It is a real challenge :D:up: beforehand It never crossed my mind.

That's one of the reasons I don't have NV as walking in the dark is hard enough for me, the risks associated with me going out and breaking my only good leg could mean I don't walk again and add a loaded gun to the scenario, its something I don't think my family would be happy about to be fair not in slippy mud anyway.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  16. Barni

Barni Donator

Hey i respect you mate for all you do and how you manage to do it ..... im due a double knee op sometime this year ... or im guessing next but thats no where near what you have been through. I love your write ups and hopefully i learn from those. All the best to you .... if i could do a massive thumbs up i would :up:

17. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Thanks mate, my left knee is tracking and grinding now not long before they do that, Im only 34 but 4 years has bolloxed it, so I don't know if they would do a knee op on me on the NHS, so it may mean they simply amputate further up, which mean there will be a couple of nice airguns for sale in the ads section, but I just try to ignore it for now that's all I can do, but like I say I never know when my hunting will come to an end, so I try and get everything I can out of it while I can.

But I hope your knee op goes well buddy, there are really good now the knee surgeons, stuff they can do keyhole and whatnot is amazing.

My problems are constant tumours on my nerves, Ive had 4 neuromas removed now and 14 opperations, and I got two at the moment so I know eventually my left knee will be cut off, just got to focus on the posetives for now.:D

18. harry brown

I don't think for a second Barni meant the way it read.

However, losing a leg and getting out into the mud and Censored is not easy for sure. Nobody on this forum could doubt your shooting skills so you'll still put us to shame with either both or one leg!

19. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Im sorry I didn't mean to sound arsy to what barni said I was just thinking out loud as usual but I like to just talk to other hunters about my disability sometimes as I don't have anyone in normal life that can identify my challenges when it comes to hunting.

As I cant talk to the women in the family about it they just turn off, I actually got playing for a wheelchair basketball club in the first year of amputation, as like a re habilitation exercise, anyway they wanted me to play for them every weekend and 2 week nights, and whatnot so I thought b****r this it was like a full time job so I explained to the coach one day that I wasn't willing to spend so much time at the club anymore as when my walking improved I would be doing my other hobbies again, so the coach says "like what" so I said "hunting and fishing" they just all looked at me like an alien so I never returned lol not for me, they couldn't relate to what life I had lived beforehand.

If I learned anything it was that loosing a leg didn't mean I should change what I was into before hand, and to be honest with you going shooting again has been the best re habilitation anyone could have given me, sometimes no matter what the pain I will focus on one place and my shoot maybe just one idividual tree, I will get there even if it means blood sometimes, and when Im there I may spend all day there thinking about the walk back, may have to re adjust things, and put dressings on in the middle of the wood lol done that loads of time, not really ideal.

All you shooting lads on the websites have been a massive motivation for me so thanks a lot lads your comments mean the earth to me and that support had driven me to push even harder.:up: you really don't know what it means to me to have some feedback, Im not fishing for compliments its more an acceptance thing really I just want to feel normal again, I spent a long long time thinking will I or wont I be able to carry a gun and go hunting again, I saw a dr the other day who said to me she remembered me in hospital and actually thought I was dying when she saw me.

So Couldn't have done it without you lot and this site this summer, thanks again hope to write about a few more sessions soon, but with the pheasant season starting every other Saturday I cant go on 90% 0f the permission I have so I will just have to watch them enjoy their shooting for now.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  20. Barni

Barni Donator

Yeah sorry if it read like that but i didnt mean it like that :)

You have every right to think out loud and im lucky i do shoot with a good friend so we talk shooting. My missus isnt too keen on me hunting .... she likes rabbits !