1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question gunsmith resources? o-ring and springs

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jimmyhackers, Aug 11, 2014.

1. jimmyhackers

jimmyhackers Well-Known Member

besides the wonder of ebay (which isnt very wonderful)

where can i find all shape and sizes of oring and the same for springs.

is there a one-stop shop to go to?

do they do random selection bags of said items?

any help is appreciated

jim

2. Nickg

Nickg Posting Addict

Cromwell tools best price for o rings

3. stalkerbarricade.22

stalkerbarricade.22 Active Member

Google tw chambers they have spares for just about everything

4. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Poundshop for o rings.

5. clbarclay

clbarclay Engaging Member

For specific O rings try bearing suppliers, there are some reasonably cheap online bearing shops listing more common specifications and bearing suppliers should be able to source less common materials, profiles and sizes.

For specific springs (not air rifle related) I use a local spring maker/supplier who has a wide selection of stock sizes and can custom make.
    http://www.springmasters.com/compression-springs/search.html

6. darren 67

darren 67 Newbie

Don't shoot me if I'm wrong but thought o rings for airguns was a different compound. What gun is it for?

7. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

Haha that's what I did for mine, plumbers selection box ;) they done the trick! Using in my xs78 and PCP pump :D

[​IMG]

8. jimmyhackers

thanks for the info..

ive noticed they come in differnt hardnesses......what hardness will best suit my webely rebel.... or is it different per aplication within said gun or is it upto choice etc?

9. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Yep,had ours for ages,sizes go from massive to miniscule :D

10. jimmyhackers

on another mad note.... to get rubber tubes to fit over stuff you can heat them up to make them more plyable. is this the same for orings

i ask because....
    ive replaced the bolt oring in my webely rebel. ive used an 002 o-ring with a hardness of 90. (used on my beeman p17)

the bolt seems to strech the oring a fair amount to get it over. not sure is its warping it or giving it a bit of a loose fit? wonder if heating it first i warm water would help relieve this?

or perhaps a softer o-ring?

11. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

Also try coating the Oring in silicone grease as I know if I don't on my co2 rifle they expand/warp... But with the grease they don't :)

12. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

If you find you have to heat up an O ring to get it on it's probably the wrong size, it won't last as a a proper one, but that could be a long time, they're pretty resilient.

I've got a couple of these sets, one metric & one imperial: http://www.screwfix.com/p/metric-o-...and Cleaning&gclid=CJXvyJGTjMACFYMewwoduikAIg

I use them for a lot of things as well as airguns, occasionally I find they don't have the size I need or the material is wrong & I reckon there still will be plenty of sizes I never use, but it's handy having them.

13. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Your using the wrong size O ring for the bolt,if you're heating it up or stretching/deforming it to get it on.

14. jimmyhackers

i think the original o ring had a smaller cross section. but it is an 002.

it doesnt look deformed after fitting...just bigger than the original. after a bit(a lot) of googling i found out some filling of the gun was in order.

ive filled the bolt catch latch and the bolt (where the catch attaches). polished the bolt oring seat. fitted a more powerfull but slightly shorter bolt spring.
    the pellet inlet port was catching the oring on the close and return action so i filled them down .this was the main problem with the new larger section oring, this also had half shredded the original oring replacing it.

its back upto wonderfully wonderful standards. smooth firm and not a smidge of air leak like it was before. im starting to get why some people refer to this webely rebel as a peice of junk and some as a diamond in the ruff.

thanks for the help guys

15. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

Are you lubing the O rings? it does help, as noted some sort of silicone lube is best, a lot of ordinary oils can attack certain O rings.
    I use the silicone grease I got from a dive shop for O rings in SCUBA kit & about £4 a small pot, I prefer grease because it will stay put - you don't want it getting into important metal to metal joints.

16. jimmyhackers

yes i greased up with some synthetic axle grease i had lying about. still felt rather tight.

either way im not getting any air leaks out of the bolt and loading port anymore so all is well im probably just paranoid.

i might splash out on some 75 harness 002 orings instead of 90 hardness (only a few quid off of ebay)

see if they're strechier/more plyable

17. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Has anyone used Cromwell's O rings for Air Arms breech seals?
    Dag

18. Nickg

Nickg Posting Addict

Silicon attacks Nitrile O rings, regular grades of oil are best unless dieseling is going to be a problem, then you need oxygen safe grease

19. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I don't think Silicone attacks any type of O ring, but it's a vast field so there's probably something out there that's susceptible, it you look at the attached table it's not brilliant for Silicone rubber, it just depends how exotic the O rings in your gun are.
    They probably aren't anything too special, as I said I use the silicon grease designed for SCUBA kit & haven't had any problems, those are supposed to be Nitrile or Viton seals, but they don't have any markings on so they could be anything really.
    Oxygen safe grease is probably related to Krytox so may be a problem if it gets mixed with normal lubricants, but I've no idea how bad is bad...
    http://www.standard-gasket.com/tech_specs/chem_res/chemical_resistance.htm

Here's a link about scuba seals which is quite informative, you definitely don't want to buy that sort of stuff off the 'Bay...
    https://www.divegearexpress.com/hardware/orings.shtml