1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Safe

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by rascaltrousers, Aug 12, 2018 at 6:37 PM.

1. rascaltrousers

rascaltrousers Busy Member

Despite only shooting 12fpe air rifles I decided a gun safe would be a good idea. Firstly for security but also to help keep the house tidy. I've bought and installed a six gun model from GDK which I bought off eBay. Whilst I am happy with the build quality and the price was good, there is no way on earth it will hold 6 scoped rifles as advertised. When I put the first rifle in the foam rack would not locate on the rifle barrel whether the gun was scope towards the middle or towards the outside. In the end I have removed the foam altogether and left my rifles in their gun bags to protect them. This way I can squeeze 4 in. Has anyone else found their safes to be like this?

The really annoying bit was after I'd fitted it my wife said; "If you'd waited to discuss with me about buying one I'd have said buy a bigger one in case you want another gun in the future" :facepalm:

cloverleaf, Baldalot and Popgun like this.
  2. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Major Poster

They reckon to almost double the amount.

So if you have 6 guns you’ll at least want a 10 gun safe.

Age old problem and I’ve no idea why every manufacture, even BSA branded safes seem to have no idea how many guns will fit.

Oat likes this.
  3. rizla1

rizla1 Donator

I got a 5 gun cabinet, it will fit 5 shotguns but only 2 scoped rifles as they need to go side on

4. Popgun

Popgun Post Whore

I have the same safe, i also have the straight foam & the 3 sided, with the straight 3 in but in on the diagonal
    i can get 4 in with 3 sided but have to remove rifles to gain access to others
    My safe is the so called "extra deep" one

5. critter

critter Donator

I think they put the smallest rifles in with the smallest scopes so they can say X amount will fit in.

6. Oat

Oat Spud guns rule

6 rifles in a 6 rifle cabinet would fit like a rubiks cube. So not that practical.
    Xmas is coming..... :up:

7. robs5230

robs5230 Big Poster

Mine's a 6 gun (scoped) but only fits 4 on an angle at that

8. Felixlogs

Felixlogs Well-Known Member

I take mine out of the bag but put a silicon treated gunsock over them before storing them in the cabinet. Less bulky then storing them in the bags.

9. Peter Norris

Peter Norris Post Whore

And scoped rifles in gun slips so they don't get damaged?
    Peter.

10. hughlle

hughlle Keyboard Hero

But its a bit like tents. Only takes a few reviews before everyone knows that you never buy one based on the capacity stated, so where is the benefit to the manufacturer? If anything it just damages their reputation a bit due to their inability to even understand their customers needs and expectations.

Popgun likes this.
  11. critter

critter Donator

I don't like leaving them in their bags as think encourages damp onto the gun.

GMballistic and psycho inside like this.
  12. psycho inside

psycho inside Psycho by name, chilled by nature....

My mate left his S400 in his bag for 2 weeks, between house moves and now has pitting on the barrel.:facepalm:

13. Felixlogs

Felixlogs Well-Known Member

If it's me that you're asking then no. I am careful in handling my guns and the cabinets are firmly fixed so won't be falling over.

14. GeeTee

GeeTee Engaging Member

I decided earlier this year that i needed a Gun Cabinet especially with the Grandchildren around, so having done a bit of research i decided on a 10 scoped rifle cabinet,which i am glad i did,the 6 scoped Guns i had were shall we say a comfy fit,but more like cramped would be a more apt description,now only having 4 rifles,there is plenty of room
    I seem to remember reading on here earlier in the year,a rule of thumb when buying a cabinet,was to double the size of what was being advertised to what your needs are.

15. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

Yes.
    I have an extra deep Brattonsound (for scoped rifles) and although I have in the past fitted the stated number of rifles inside it this was only possible because over half the rifles were antique/vintage spring guns with open sights.

If they'd have all been bolt action PCP rifles with scopes then there is no way I could have gone to full capacity.

@rascaltrousers Re: Leaving the guns in gunbags. Personally I definitely wouldn't be doing that. Just leave them out in the gun safe and get some "Napier VP90 Corrosion Inhibitor Sachets". One of those will last for 12 months and help protect your guns from moisture. :thumb:
    Link: https://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Super-VP90-Corrosion-Inhibitor-VP90_.html

16. psycho inside

I got myself an old locker from work, with the intention of locking my rifles away, and keeping them out of the reach of my children.:D I made a rack / holder from a foam kneeling pad, lined the sides with laminate flooring underlay for a little extra protection, put a little LED light in, pellets and other bits and bobs on the top shelf. Put a padlock on it, and ONLY I have access to the key.:thumb:

IMG_7244.JPG

IMG_7245.JPG

The only downside, my missus very quickly started whinging about the 'big grey ugly bloody monstrosity in the corner'.....!

So off I trot to B&Q, buy a roll of sticky back plastic, and voila.......!

IMG_7246.JPG

HW95J, Rm29 and GMballistic like this.
  17. GMballistic

GMballistic Donator

Good job @psycho inside . :thumb:

Plenty of room left in there for another rifle or two at a push I'd say too. :D

psycho inside likes this.
  18. psycho inside

Thank you mate.:thumb: Great minds think alike.:D

(There is actually 5 rifles in there. There is 2 unscoped old Gamos, wrapped in silicone socks, behind the trigger sticks....!)

GMballistic likes this.
  19. HW95J

HW95J Donator

Nice setup there! I think metal lockers do the business for airguns and you can get fairly big ones for less than a gun cabinet.
    I've got a nominally 6 gun safe from GDK and it's very good quality but lacking in space. Sure, if you mess about enough you can fit all the guns in but it's no easy task with scopes involved. I've found that storing shotguns muzzle-down works better for space. Added benefits that you avoid the potential oil-soak issue and actually they're a lot easier to get out without bashing the stock off the side of the cabinet...

20. SteveO

SteveO Organ Donator

I have the Bratton Sound MT9+ deep & extra tall, realistically it houses 5 at a push with absolutely no room between the scope SF knobs but 4 comfortably.

I made my own comb shelf to support the guns and binned the rubbish foam inserts.

Really good quality and robust safes though.

Great Job Dave! ingenious! ;)

psycho inside likes this.