1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question gun reviews

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by bjameson, Dec 20, 2013.

1. bjameson

bjameson Newbie

Hi all im new to the forum. Im after a pcp and got around £550 to spend on one. Was just after any info on whats a good gun. Someone has offered me a bsa super10 whats your views? Many thanx :up:

2. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

I personally do not rate current BSA guns.
    I would always recommend you get yourself off to a club and try as many guns as you can before you part with your hard won cash.
    If this is not possible then do the same with your local gunshop. A gun has to suit you.

3. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Dunks, BSA Super 10s are not current BSA guns.

To the OP, how much, what model, what comes with it?

I have a BSA Super 10, probably the last new bull barrel carbine that was sold new in .177 in the UK. It is a gun I love, accurate, reliable, superb in operation. It seems to suffer with less problems that the much inferior replacement, the R10!

The Super 10 comes in 3 marks, each roughly equivalent to Rapids produced at the same time in stock design, the first mark was heavily scalloped and a right swine to fit a bipod on. The second mark was a straight underside and much easier, the last mark had a stock very similar to the first model R10!

Pellets, most seem to favour Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums, mine particularly likes Defiant Ogive in 4.52mm!

Any upgrades? Take it to John Bowkett, makes a Super gun a really Super gun!

4. bjameson

bjameson Newbie

Thanx for the info. Dont know about model comes with scope bag and dive bottle. Are they a heavy gun?

5. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    the super10 has a big and loyal following mate. rifles are a personal thing - what looks great may not 'hold' great, what suits me may not suit you.
    i would advise shouldering as many as you can, to see what you think - this should narrow the choice down ...... unless the super10 feels great when you pick it up

6. shears20

shears20 Donator

Welcome to the Forum BJameson :D Not familiar with the super10 as you know but the guys here on the forum won't see you wrong when it comes to advice. :up:

7. secretagentmole

Quick crash course on Super 10 mark identification!

The Mark One!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note the scalloped stock shape!

The Mark Two
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note the flat underneath of the stock!

The Mark Three (The Most Beautiful One Of All)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. secretagentmole

Just to confuse things further any model BSA Super 10 can fit in any BSA Super 10 stock!

Mine currently lives in this....
    [​IMG]

9. critter

critter Donator

You would be better buying a second hand AA S410 classic, should give around 80 shots in .177 and leave enough for a decent scope and charging equipment. Go and shoulder one at yor local rfd.

10. metalman

metalman Big Poster

The mk 3 is a lovely looking gun, but yes, the Supertens are heavy

11. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

Super10s are a very good rifle .but they are abit on the heavy side

12. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

The S10 has a loyal following, of which I'm not a part :p

They'll do the job if you get a decent one; however they're not particularly well put together (fit, finish and materials), are a pig to work on and are prone to reliability issues (particularly concerning the mags and regulator).

I'd strongly adivse not to part with any cash for one before giving it a good grilling over the chrony. They're all getting on a bit now and if the reg's had no attention during the gun's life it's extremely likely that the seals will be goosed and the reg will need a rebuild - budget around £100-200 for this; depending on who carries it out. Also check that the mag functions correctly; they're very good at skipping certain chambers once they become worn.

IMO there are much better guns to be had for the money; namely the Air Arms 400 series ;)

13. SimonD

SimonD Active Member

FX airguns are nice... they have a good range, I have the T12 , a nice lightweight gun, deadly accurate, and I have the independence, it's big, it's heavy, has a built in pump to pump air into the tank.. It's deadly accurate, no problems hitting the target at 100m .. Oh.. And very tuneable , especially when bought in Sweden with no anti tamper.. :D

14. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

There's an rws excalibre in the sales just now on here, I have the webley fx 2000 same gun! And I rate that over all other air rifles I have owned (22) and used Many more, s200 are another superb gun, ripley hogan elite is another, but it really is personal. As I don't particularly like any of the current bsa's and neither do I like the theoben mfr!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  15. secretagentmole

Round hairy spherical objects you nasty person you!

I have never had a problem with any Super 10 magazine, I even bought one that did not work properly, serviced it, set the tension following a youtube guide and it worked perfectly. It is one of the more reliable magazines out there and was copied by blooming Daystate!

The seals. The one that tends to give the most problems is on the buddy bottle and is a piece of piddle to change. Regulators are very reliable, a damned site more reliable than the R10s. If it needs a rebuild for the sort of money you are quoting you can have it rebuilt by Bowkett and blueprinted too! He only charges £120 + VAT for a blueprint and then it comes back much much better than before.

I have never had an internal seal fail on any Super 10 I have owned.

Personally I have never had anything but problems with any Air Arms I have owned, the PCPs are particularly prone to being underpowered, magazine problems (both the AA and CZ versions) and they leak like sieves as well! They dump the air if the pressure gets too low, then they are a swine to top back up! :p:p:p:p

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  16. yardmonster

yardmonster Well-Known Member

Go for an air arms **! All I have ever owned is air arms and wouldn't change for anything else. For that money you could get yourself a very decent second hand S410 and they are lovely looking, great accuracy and rather light too! All gravy!

17. 14sheep

14sheep Well-Known Member

Ive got a S10 MK 3. Bought second hand in August and it is as it was built. I use it at least once a week, putting at least 300 pellets in one session. I've had no problems with, it handles beautifully, very accurate and get around 100 shots per fill. I love my S10 compared to my husbands JB R10 but this is my opinion and what I prefer. As what has been said before you need to "try before you buy". What suits one does not suit another. But don't let the horror stories put you off if you find you like the S10. If you researched hard enough you would find horror stories on just about any rifle.
    Good luck with what you decide to go with.

18. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

Well if i had that money to spend on a rifle id watch for trusted sellers on here with good sales feed back , you can as our american cousins say , get a lot off bang for your buck :up: Just follow the standard rules off buying on line