1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Gun advice please

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by scottydog, Jan 11, 2014.

1. scottydog

scottydog Member

Gents

im after a bit of advice. My dad would like to purchase a PCP air rifle for a bit of target shooting (range) and when he can a bit of rough shooting. It will be more of the former than the latter in my opinion. He has shot shotguns most of his life and has had a couple of springers in the cupboard over the years. He's not as mobile as he used to be so maybe weight of gun needs to be a consideration.

i recently bought a Logun Solo (which I know is not to everyone's taste) for a little vermin control around stables and the like. My first air rifle, but seems to be going well to date. He's had a plink with it and you could see smile on his face growing with every shot.

i would appreciate some suggestions as to what could be suitable.

he has a total budget of around the £500 quid mark.

can any one give me a steer me to something worth looking at on the net etc etc.

cheers in advance

scottydog

2. mikmon

mikmon Donator

air arms s400 and plenty choices of scopes to ad !

mik

3. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    would the total budget include charging gear ?
    i would recommend an air arms s400 superlite .177, possibly karbine (100mm shorter than classic length). its a proven, well made, reliable gun that will be more accurate than 99% of shooters. used, can be picked up from £350 scoped up, which will leave room for a bottle.
    http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/air_arms_s400f_classic_superlite
    before buying any tho, i would both take a trip to your rfd to try a few for size - what looks good on paper or on screen, sometimes doesnt feel that good in the flesh - try a few for size and feel, and dont rush in and impulse buy on looks alone.
    oh, and welcome to the forum mate, you'll love it on here

4. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

I'd agree with both the above posts but stick the S200 in the frame as well, match accurate barrel, very simple to maintain and light weight. Try and handle as much as possible but if you don't mind secondhand there are some great little bargains out there. S200 with scope and pump or bottle will come well under budget, in fact one highlighted on PW recently was under £300 for the lot. All wasted money if it doesn't fit your dad though, get him to a local club and see what others are shooting, they'll usually let you have a try.
    Regards
    Tim

5. scottydog

scottydog Member

Thanks Mik/ Steve. I was lucky enough to get a bottle for Christmas so he can use that while he gets himself up an running. All he will have to do is get an adaptor. A hate of his suggested a pump would do but I've talked him out of that.

Looks like two votes for Air Arms S400 so far............:)
    Scottydog

6. scottwood

scottwood Engaging Member

Defiantly the air arms s400 superlite. Great gun and very accurate just wack a hawke hd on it and have some fun.

7. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, i would suggest a good S/H AA S400 in .177 then you have enough money for an air tank, or a lighter one is the brocock concept in .177 which you could get new and air tank too. i say .177 as is good for rats if use a heavy pellet like jsb and further range for rabbits, both are well engineered and reliable, i must say i use a S410 in .22 for rats but a .177 will do the job as these shoot spot on with a decent scope, you could also look at the S410 10 shot/ brocock super 6 shot. having had 2 S200s i think the brococks better but slightly less shot count. good luck

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  8. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

I am probably going to get some slack for this, but I would recommend in .177 carbine format, an HW100. I think the balance and feel of this gun makes it an ideal candidate. Well made, accurate & above all, excellent reliability. Obviously this would need to be a second hand purchase. Be sure to come back to us, with the outcome. And above all else, make sure that your father shoulders as many rifles as possible. All the best,KB1

9. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    if the fill adaptor of dads is different to yours, you will need one of these quick coupler kits, enabling the quick change of 2 fill adaptors http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=225
    if you buy brand new, a fill adaptor will be included, buying used, you may have to ask for it

10. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

webley Fx2000 get overlooked but are quality rifles. I bought a .20 special edition daystate harrier for 380 posted, there's a .22 version on gun star for under 400 to. Lovely bolt action an balance to them

11. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, just another thought from what you have mentioned these can be very usefull, a bipod and can easy be made from 2 garden green stakes from home base, black tape 4 inch down from top, old bike inner tube cut 1 inch strip and 3 turns over from spike end and slide up to bottom of black tape, light to carry and good to steady rifle. i use a 4ft one in a hide with my tripod seat, and 5ft one walking the fields or around the farm. there is a video of these on the Utube i think.

12. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Ultra SE? Brockock Contour?

13. scottydog

scottydog Member

Looking at an AA510 this weekend.........

14. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Accurate rifles, but hw100 is nicer in my opinion

15. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

Hw100 heavier than aa.

I.d go for old webleys as fx2000

Better than any aa in my opinion

16. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Well that goes without saying :thumbup: :D :beer:

17. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

for the range target shooting propuses keep in mind some weight restrictions, price limitation and good shot count i will start my search from the following list (multishots and .177 only):

FX2000 (Webley, Logun, FX)
    Webley Raider
    Axsor (Webley, Logun)
    FX Cutlass or Logun Dominator (wery rare at good price)
    Daystate Huntsman (again, hard to find at lower price)

another one to try is brocock concept S6 (light, good shot count and beter trigger unit)

18. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

If your considering the ultra se, be quick! Prices are going up in February

19. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

i wouldn't back to BSAs after making my R10 to works nicely last autumn,
    very far away in it's built quality from DSs, FXs or HWs
    and even worth from oldschools

20. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Completely agree , the <only> reason I bought the ultra se over a contour s6 was it had an ambi stock.