1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Gun Advice Please

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by mart2, Dec 31, 2013.

1. mart2

mart2 Newbie

Hi all

This is my first post post so please excuse any stupid questions.

I currently have a SMK B2 which is not great to say the least and i am looking for an upgrade. I am looking to spend £150 -200 on a springer. I want it for a bit of plinking, targets and vermin control, not looking to do any hunting yet as I am not good enough (but hopefully that will come with practice so maybe in the future).

So far I have been considering:

SMK XS20 - a bit put off by my experience with the B2 though
    SMK TH208 - as XS20
    Hammerli Seeker Kit - Seems good value with the full kit - but is this the same as a XS19
    Weihrauch HW99S - Which I probably like the idea of most but i am a bit put off as i've read that its very noisy and i don't want the neighbours on my back.

I was originally tempted to go for a s/h HW97 or similar but i am left handed so it's difficult to find one.

Any advice or opinions much appreciated.
    Many Thanks and happy new year

Mart

2. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Hello, and welcome on board;

Of the rifles you list, the HW99 would be the one that I'd choose. I'm a big fan of HW springers for a variety of reasons that I won't go into here, but they tend to be well made and they work well. There are big debates as to the quality of the SMK rifles - some users hate them and others believe that they represent very good value for money with a high degree of potential for fettling and tuning.

As for the noise generated by a HW99, it's not a huge bang; it's more spring noise, which, as you get further into what makes your rifle tick, can be pretty easily remedied with an afternoon's work on the kitchen table with some basic tools (just make sure you get permission from the boss before taking over said kitchen table, eh?). If tuning it yourself isn't an avenue you wish to explore there are plenty of gunsmiths who will do it for you.

I hope this has been of some help to you, fella. Any further questions you have, please ask them. There are lots of members of AGF who have a wealth of knowledge and will gladly share it with you. We're a pretty friendly and helpful bunch and will be glad to help you out if we can. Have a look at the link below - hopefully it'll answer a few of your questions.

Cheers,

JR

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/...-their-answers

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  3. rattus

rattus Donator

hi mart2, welcome to the forum. if you go for a hw97 in a synthetic stock its ambidextrous so left handed will be no problem. its a very good springer rated as one of the best by many.:welcome:

4. mart2

mart2 Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I think it will have to be Weihrauch then, as no one has recommended the SMK or hammerli. I'll keep an eye on the s/h ads for a 97 for 2 or 3 weeks and if I can't find one I'll go for a 99. It will make a change for the wife if I have a air rifle on the kitchen table instead of fishing tackle.

Cheers

Mart

5. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Check out your local Air Gun Clubs and See what is about

And why others are using different Gun's

Most Clubs have a For Sale Table - often a good chance to purchase a bargin

BOB/R

6. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

If you can find a TH208 2nd hand,they do punch above their weight for the budget. The examples i have fired and handled have been finished well,and shoot quite comfortably,although they do seem quite long. 12 months ago our local RFD was doing them as a package with a hawke scope for £170 new.
    If however you find you can stretch to afford the Hw99 this would be the better option in my opinion.
    Regards,Stu.

7. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Another gun to look at is the Hatsan 55 (.177) or Hatsan 60 (.22).

They are around £120-140 usually, some places are still selling them for under the ton though! It is also sold as a Webley Stingray mark 2 (for twice the cost), it has a nice walnut stock, anti bear trap mechanism (so you cant fire it when loading it) and auto safety. They are fairly quiet but if you are lucky you might by one with a screw cut barrel for a moderator!

They are not of the same quality as the HW99, but HW quality of late seems to be hit and miss, with a fair few people reporting problems with swarf in the mechanism, poorly cut springs and poor finishing.

8. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I might be talking out of turn here but I think that Ze Chermans have addressed those issues as lots of noise was made about them.

9. ambriel

ambriel Engaging Member

Take a look at the Gamo Socom 1000 as well. Photos in my profile somewhere. You should be able to buy one new plus a scope for your budget. Synthetic stock is ambidextrous and has an adjustable cheek pad. Love mine.

10. mart2

mart2 Newbie

Thanks again for your replies. I am am fairly sure that I want to go for a 99s now but I think I will have a look at some others before I buy. Is the 99s fairly easy to work on?