1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

groupings

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by abc, Jul 3, 2006.

1. abc

abc Active Member

is a grouping of more than ten pellets at 55 yards in a space of around the size of a one pound coin good enogh to begin to hunt
    thanks steve

2. Austin

Austin Well-Known Member

You Betcha. That's a great grouping for 55 yards.

Happy Hunting!

3. abc

abc Active Member

what would you say is the average grouping for a hunter as i have no idea as i am new to hunting. ive only done ft and hft comps before.
    steve

4. Chael

Chael Engaging Member

Well, I think most of us (where I l;ive anyway) like to try and get a grouping of a 10 pence coin at 40-50 yards with a standard 12ftlbs air rifle.

So yea, yours is great! got any pics?

5. custom100

custom100 Well-Known Member

HUNTING GROUPS

at the syndicate i shoot with , we try to get newbies to hunting , to only hunt at the range they can happily group 10 shots within a 10p.if they can do this at every range out to 35 yds then that is what they hunt to. if they can shoot out to 50yds with ten shoots in a 10p at every range(from 10 yds up)then this is what they shoot to.a lot of guys i know apply this when practising on the range and most have said that not only does it improve their hunting but also their target work to.........hope this helps
    :):):)

6. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

ABC ,Thats damn good shooting at that distance. I would personally bring it in to around 40 yards and see if you can get double the amount at that distance.
    Then put a 1P at 35 yards with 10 shots. If you can do that your aim for any hunting will be spot on. Remember Wind becomes a huge factor at long distance. 40 yards is good but personally i have mine set bang on 35 yards. I do not want to hit anything but the sweet spot.

Hunting and Range are not the same, Good fun but Field craft plays a big factor in hunting.

7. custom100

custom100 Well-Known Member

well said fog.

8. RugbyPete

RugbyPete Active Member

You can now see why I only hunt at about 10 yards! And I work on the 50p method! :D

seriously though, I'm a better long range shot than I am close range, I think it was allt he wargame I played as a kid where you had to fire a spitfires guns well in advance of the target!

9. topcat

topcat Post Whore

group size

the group size also depends on the position your in and wind conditions rested shots are easier than standing ie allways try to rest on something or go prone with as bipod and you will be how to expand your shooting distance

10. writingame

writingame Newbie

without the issue of accuracy, what range does a 12flb rifle have the energy to kill at?
    50 yards would be pushing it wouldn't it?

11. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

35-40yds is my max, I dont like wounding bunny's i.e. body shots, it only takes 4ftps to kill a rabbit(head shot that is) hope this helps:)

12. topcat

topcat Post Whore

distance

if you are shooting excellent groups at 55 yards then live quarry at 55 should be ok in windless conditions i often shoot rabbits at that distance and a bit further with my s type of the bipod running at 11.5 fpe but the conditions have to be spot on i also seem to get more clean kills at longer distance and use 20 times mag on my scope

13. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i would say the max efective range of the air rifle is 45 yards so you'll be fine at that range.

infact thats one hell of a good group.
    (dont let buck fever get to you though)

14. topcat

topcat Post Whore

the max effective range is up to how good you are the airgun mags have pushed 40 yards max for years a 177 running at 11.5 fpe energy can kill bunnies cleanly to distances a lot further than 45 yards in perfect conditions if blowing a gail its a different matter only take the shot if you are sure of a kill

15. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i have seen a feral killed by a .22 at 60 yards but you have to be super fantastic to do that.

i keep below 45 yards then i'm 100% sure that my .22 will kill whatever i'm shooting.

i dont shoot prcentages unless its 100%

16. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

change to .177 then

17. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i'm happy with .22;)

the only time i would need a .177 was to stalk rabbits and i use .22 for everything elce and when static hunting i know the ranges.

i may get a 12 bore sometime next year and use that on rabbits and pigeons

18. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

I would say 50 yards if hunting ,any longer than that and your going to get a few runners !!!:eek:

19. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

I would never personaly use a 12bore for rabbits.. pigeon's , yes...I also would be happy to use .22 but only in FAC, why because 9 time out of 10 that rabbit will be at long range, and a .22 sub 12ftps will be traveling at 2 slow a speed to get a clean kill,

20. topcat

topcat Post Whore

longshots

as i have said in the past you get more clean kills at long range with177 running at 11.5 than you do at close tange ihave my thoughts on this but for another time