1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Great (UK) alternative to duct seal and plumbers mait

Discussion in 'Target Shooting' started by bramley, Jan 24, 2014.

1. bramley

bramley Active Member

Most google searches bring up Duct Seal as the putty of choice but not available in the UK. I've seen people mention Plumbers Mait but having used that before when replacing a bathroom I know it's not particularly nice stuff to use, and apparently it can slump in a pellet trap.

Step forward this:

[​IMG]
    It's £5 a pot of 500g and four pots gave me a thickness of about 1 inch which stopped my .22 pellet from 10yds. I've put it in a deep baking tray and I've just got another two pots for extra security. Not the cheapest but it's great stuff, easy to use, not messy and is more solid than Plumbers Mait so very unlikely to slump.

Job jobbed :up:

Just noticed this eBay listing has a discount and free postage: 310759452567

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. mikigough

mikigough Engaging Member

3. Natgun

Natgun Well-Known Member

I buy plumbers mait from Screwfix @ £3.99 for 750g.

I find that it can slump but only once it's rammed with a lead ball/ignoring stirring it up regularly.

I haven't experienced using it during warm weather, I guess this would make it more liquid/malleable and would cause it to slump more.

Is this stuff easy to get out of the pot as plumbers mait can be a nightmare.

4. bramley

bramley Active Member

Yup, comes out easily in one lump leaving no residue in the tub :up: (and none on your fingers).

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  5. ped

ped Keyboard Hero

i currently use plumbers mait as a back stop for my chrono(i just turn the tub on its side and shoot straight into it) and it slumps like b****ry most of the american sites i go on all use duct seal for back stops so i'll be trying some of this
    ped

6. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Using it while testing the Chrono is a great idea, I can shoot straight into the tub.
    Took delivery of 1 kg from Amazing (sic) at 7pds inc p and p. will also try to use spread into a slab and will let you know how it goes. One thing is certain it isn't sticky like Plumbers Mate!
    Dag

7. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

A quick follow up to give you some idea of how much there is in a pot and maybe this will help you decide how many tubs you might want or need.
    A 1kilo tub is approx 3.5" high (contents that is) and has an average diameter of 3.25" . My calculations give an average cross sectional area of 8.3 " and therefore if you were to use at a thickness of 1" you would get approx 25 sq in per pot or say 5" x 5" if making a backstop. Obviously if you just want a sound absorbing material you could spread it out a bit thinner but at 0.5" thickness you will still only get 50 sq in which is about approx 7" x 7".
    Hope this is of some help
    Dag

8. john frum

john frum Engaging Member

There is one big flaw to this idea.
    You are spending out unnecessarly to make a decent quiet backstop !
    You can make it yourself or I can make it for you if you provide the initial outlay (of beer, non returnable)
    Buy a case of stella bottles, drink beer, recycle bottles, loosely stuff box with free newspapers, seal up box ends, cut slot for target holding bulldog clip.
    Place box before safe back drop and enjoy quiet target bashing.
    Repeat beer as necessary.

This works well for me and I cast the shot lead into toy soldiers.

9. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

True, cheaper still you can use an empty wine bottle box from your local supermarket and stuff it with papers or magazines. I think th debate re duct sealant started some time ago as a possible solution to those noisy metal pellet traps where it should be easily applied and removed etc.
    Adjusting my trigger over the weekend I found the pot of duct seal, mentioned earlier, to be a handy tabletop pellet trap.
    For those interested in its stopping power, or how thick a layer should be used, I found that all the pellets had gone no deeper than 1inch. Bear in mind however that in a pot there is still another 2.5in behind that so the 1in should only be used as a rough guide if applying as a layer.
    Dag

10. Donzo

Donzo Banned

Two question RE: these items as a back stop 1 if I use this behind a paper target and put pellet on pellet about how many shots is this stuff good for before the pellets are going all the way through and 2 will this stuff dry out and become a solid hard block.
    it would be very interesting to know before going through the process of making a target holder for putting this all together.

11. Natgun

Natgun Well-Known Member

I have a couple of traps with Plumbing mait in, you can shoot for weeks at it so long as you mix it up a bit now and then. Shooting directly at the tub, it stops pellets at around 1cm from very close up.

That said I was testing my gun and fired 10-15 and it did go through but not more than cracking the wood.

12. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

A bit of an update on using duct seal mentioned previously ( definitely not Plumbers Mait!)
    I fancied a plinking session today so flattened the contents of the tub into an approx 6" dia x 1" thick slab with three smallish lumps holding it away from the side of a wine box. I then thought it would be interesting to se the effect of shooting into this material with different pellets so tried RWS Superdomes, JSB Exacts, and RWS Hobbys, all .177.
    Not one pellet went through the slab the Superdomes and Exacts formed a bulge on the back of the slab but could not be seen. The Hobbys only went in about 1/2" and whilst there was little deformation to the domed pellets the wadcutters Hobbys were flattened, much to my surprise.
    What happened to the Hobbys confirms, I guess, what vermin hunters say about using pellets like hollow points that use up all their energy within a short distance after impact.
    Dag

13. SW-Novice

SW-Novice Engaging Member

DON'T USE PLUMBERS MAIT!
    Tried it out by packing one of the wifes old cake tins (non stick had worn off)
    put it in 2 inches thick and put a cork floor tile infront of it with my target attached
    Less than 10 shots later at 25 yards with a sub 12fpe BSA Ultra and i had managed
    to shoot through the tin and hit the brick wall behind it.

14. mattyts

mattyts Donator

That's because you decided to use a cake tin as a 'suitable backstop' even though it isn't.

Plumbers mait will not absorb all the energy and penetration power of the pellet,it will simply drown out the sound.

Get a proper backstop,thick bit of wood (logs etc) or a plate of steel (I use 2mm stainless)

15. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

Whilst I can't actually see where SWNovice says a cake tin is a 'suitable backstop' and in fact says there is a brick wall behind the tin I think it is worth reminding folks that it only takes a couple of pellets to be on top of each other for them to push right through this material. Ten pellets at that distance and you can be almost certain you will punch through the container with some of them.
    Dag

16. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Yep
    Angled 2mm steel works very well and my trap has no wear to it.
    If noise is an issue just put some old carpet or something on the steel....

17. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I was sick of using the commerical ones after they break once the pellets hits a few times in the same place.

18. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Aye, cheaper to make you own aswell.

19. SW-Novice

SW-Novice Engaging Member

The cake tin was against the wall intentionally, I was using the compound as another forum suggested it had similar properties to ballistic putty.

20. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Few hits in the same place will bore a hole straight through most target backstops so a bit of sheet metal and putty isn't going to do much.