1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question grain size vs velocity?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jimmyhackers, Jul 15, 2014.

1. jimmyhackers

jimmyhackers Well-Known Member

hopefully this is a simple one

been googling and i cant find a definitive answer....maybe there isnt one?

im looking for a general rule of thumb if there is one.

heavier grain = slower "exit" velocity is what im steered to thinking....

but thats a very simple assumption on my part using the same gun and same/similar shape pellets but of varying weights.

to put it into context i shoot from a p17 which is a single stroke pneumatic. i plan on getting a webley rebel which will be multipump pneumatic. so im asking from the context of pneumatic primarily.

i do have a 22 springer rifle. do springers follow a differnt rule?

thanks in advance
    jim

2. warrenater

warrenater Donator

3. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Think of it this way, if you pick up a light stone and throw it, and then pick up a heavy stone and throw it...which goes FASTER?

The lighter the pellet the greater the velocity it can carry and stay within the 12ft-lb legal ruling. It follows, therefor, that the heavier the pellet the slower it has to travel to remain within the legal restriction.

Now, with PCPs (or a pumped pneumatics, which are essentially the same thing, just with a pump built in, whether that is single stroke or multi-stroke) the rule of thumb you ask for is: heavier pellet = greater energy. There will be some pellets that haven't read the book, because there are then a few variables that can play a part, such as lead content of the pellet, head size and skirt deformation for sealing. BUT in general terms with a PCP you will get a higher power reading with a "heavier" (I put it in commas because there is a limit - fill the barrel with lead an dit won't work!) pellet than a lighter one....except for AA Fields! They haven't read the script and can throw a wobbly into the picture.

Spring guns are the opposite, they tend to produce the most power with a "lighter" pellet.

This is all on the proviso you don't go to extremes. With a (eg) 13gn - 18gn pellet variance in .22 this rule of thumb will work. Chuck in a 32 grainer and no, you won't get more power because it will be outside the bounds, unless you have the extra waft to drive it down down the barrel. Get that 32gn pellet up to 900 - 975fps and you would have a LOT more power! Within the 12ft-lb limit there will be barely enough waft to get it out of the barrel.

4. smartarze

smartarze Active Member

If thats the case, If the police were to test the rifle using their prefered choice of Bisley Magnums, how can it be a fair test? Springer would show a lower reading and a pcp would show a higher reading?

If u had a springer shooting at 12.5 ftlbs on AA Fields it would be legal when tested with magnum's
    If u had a pcp shooting at 11.5 ftlbs on AA fields it would be illegal when tested with magnum's

confused.com!!!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  5. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

The police may use any pellet they choose.

They will know full well that a light pellet produces more power in a spring gun normally and a heavy pellet more power in a pcp normally.
    They have plenty of time and a selection of pellets to try if the gun goes over with any pellet you have problems.
    Cheers Andy

6. smartarze

smartarze Active Member

ok cheers for clearing that up Andy, I just assumed they used only magnums as I've read it in many different places. Its still a bit of a lottery tho! Its impossible for us to try every single brand of pellet on the market to check it doesn't creep over the limit.

7. r10hunter

Yep!! That's why it's normally recommended to set your power at 11.5ftlbs with the most powerful pellet in your gun.
    Cheers Andy

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

It's not that they use Bis mags,I think they actually shoot three heavy,three meds and three heavies then take an average,it's that in PCPs,most of the time a heavier pellet yields higher power so setting a gun up within the limit with a heavier pellet means it should be safe with others but it's not always the case.

TBH,testing your rifle with every pellet is actually not as bad as it seems when you consider how many pellets are the same but branded up differently, I would try about 5-6 types then be happy if it's under with all of them.

9. jimmyhackers

thanks, thats good food for thought....but i feel i still need to clarify

so as is with my pneumatics, its actually kind of the opposite of what i thought.

heavier = faster?
    or
    heavier = same-ish exit speed but more power?

does that mean its safe to say in a pneumatic that the velocity remains resonably constant (within said grain limits)

without a chrono im just speculating..... basically i want some pile drivers (for no reason except owning/trying the heaviest pellet about) buy the sounds of it police test with a variety of pellets.

but say if they found piledrivers with my guns would they have to include them in their tests?

10. r10hunter

Ftlbs is worked out by (velocity of pellet X velocity of pellet X weight of pellet in grains divided by 450240) = ftlbs for that pellet
    Put some figures in the calculation and have a play you will soon understand.
    Heavier pellets will have more power at the same speed as a light pellet.
    Some pellets are able to utilise more of the air blast than others.
    If you have pile drivers on you they will probably be tested.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  11. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Piledrivers - even though 21.00 Grains in .177 - They do not always go over power in many gun's

Some light weights will go over power in some guns

Been well discussed - there is No ideal Test Pellets for all UK used Air Guns -

BOB/R

12. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

When I tuned my rifle I was told to set my gun up to the desired ftlb I wanted using bisley magnums there for any other pellets I use that are lighter will not exceed it, and that's how i set mine up and for the police test don't they test the rifle using 3 different types/weighted pellets?

Cheers, Greg.

13. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Yes,the thing is,that's a very broad and vague statement, usually, PCPs produce higher power with a heavier pellet and springers produce higher power with a lighter pellet but this isn't always the case so setting it closer to the limit with bis mags isn't always the best thing to do.

14. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

I see, well that's the method I have used to set mine and after doing so I tested some brands of other pellets through the rifle with chrono and they seem to stay below the limit but I'll take on the info when it comes to doing my PCP rifle :)

Cheers, Greg.

15. jimmyhackers

ive seen those little calculations..... and a few calculators that do it for you.

problem is i cant tell what my pellet speed is untill i get a chrono. (very tempted to do so)

the stated speed of my p17 is 410 fps i think....but ive seen many reviews and it seems to range from 350fps upto 410-420. so all my calculations are based around that max limit. so a piledriver 21 grain pellet going at 410 will be illegal at 7.84 ftlbs and close to illegal at 350fps being 5.71

but will my p17 even get to those speeds firing one?it seems so heavy i cant imagine itd get much velocity into it.

what do you guys think?

16. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I may have mis understood you but a gun doesn't spit out every pellet at the same speed,I'll try explain below...

Your pistol won't get up to that power, it wouldn't,just because a gun shoots 410 fps with 1 pellet,doesn't mean it will with them all,pretty simple when you think about it.

Airgun manufacturers often use alloy pellets that are super light to claim figured of 1000 fps etc.

my HW40 runs at 2.1 ftlb,yours will do the same.

Btw if your doing calculations regarding power,see if you know what's so special about 671 FPS.....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  17. Sir Oscar

Sir Oscar Donator

Mr Hackers. After reading all your posts, not just this thread but the others you have started. It seems your intent on firing just about anything you can lay your hands on through your guns. Why not just use normal everyday pellets or *** and just enjoy. :) no need to push the limits of the law, it's still fun.

18. jimmyhackers

i know 671 fps means that whatever grain my pellet is what power figure in ftlbs im shooting.

i figured a bigger pellet means slower velocity......but again "assumption is the mother of all fookups" hence asking. and i did learn that pnuematic perform different to springers, and how.

i dont use everyday pellets becuase as you may of figured....im not your everyday person.

my intention isnt to break the law or push the limits. its to experiment primarily, a what if, a break from tin cans and holes in target paper.
    id just like to make informed descions and get prior advice from people who may have been there before.

be thankful im asking questions because "stupid people dont ask question"

19. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

The Police will use whatever the gun shop sells them primarily, My RFD and FEO told me that. The Bisley magnums is a myth certainly round here. its not not worth the time money and effort to prosecute someone with a 12.5ft/lb air rifle cause it goes over with a specific pellet that you don't use.

The cost is stupidly high.

Its different though if you actually do something daft such as shoot in public etc or they get a serious complaint, but they aren't interested otherwise. PS its the CPS who decide to prosecute not the police they only charge and evidence gather.

20. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

Ive been shooting long enough to know i can't be bothered to explain now!