1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Good starter rifles? SMK B2/B4

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Pinki Pete, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Pinki Pete

Pinki Pete Member

Hey guys, I have been looking at buying a rifle from local shops and there seems to be quite a good deal for the SMK B2 and the SMK B4. What I was wondering is if anyone had had any experience with these rifles or had any advice regarding the rifles or the makers in general?

For reference here is the website: http://www.pownalls.com/products/Air_Guns_Accessories/Air_Rifles/-_Budget_Air_Rifle_Kits/

Thanks in advance, always had good help here :)

2. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

They are not very well made and its debatable whether they're good value for money. My local dealer sells them for £32! I think that's about £30 too much!!:D

Opinion is divided as to whether they're a good starter gun as well. I reckon if someone tries one of these they're likely to get fed up of not being able to hit anything and will possibly give up on the hobby thinking all airguns are this bad.
    Others think it'll give you a cheap way to find out if you like the sport before upgrading the following week.....

Fwiw I'd suggest saving a little extra and getting a Hatsan 55 or 60 which is leagues ahead of the B2 in every way!:)

3. Adam_h

Adam_h Engaging Member

A good cheap SMK @ Pownalls I found is the SMK Synxs, the wife has one and it's fairly accurate and nice and easy to use/ hold, and ambi stock too.

4. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Well I am no expert you understand, but I think you may well be very disappointed with either the B2 or the B4. I have heard very good reports from a couple of folk on here about the XS19 which is on Page two of your link, more money, but I think you might well find a lot more bang for your buck. :) I believe there are some nice tuning kits for the XS19 should you want to upgrade it later on, that is not to increase power, but to make the rifle smoother and quieter to shoot.

5. Pinki Pete

Pinki Pete Member

Well I do want to start as have plenty of prior experience and I tend to prefer to spend a little more initially so I don't need to upgrade too soon.

Fairly accurate as in with a bit of skill you can hit what your aiming at or with a bit of luck youl hit what your aiming at if not then something close? Do you have much experience dealing with Pownalls then? Would you recommend them as dealers or are there any other locals I could/should try?

6. Pinki Pete

Pinki Pete Member

You know I never noticed there was a second page! (im an idiot). So what makes the XS19 a better rifle then? (just trying to learn more and understand more about rifles).

7. Adam_h

Adam_h Engaging Member

The wife can hit a bull shot at 20 meters with her Synxs .22 more then once (not luck), using an AGS 3-9x40 one piece mounted scope, as for dealers the only other in Yarmouth is Youngmans on Market Row, bought a lot from them in the past, but I buy more from here better value for money on the forum. Got my X20s from youngmans and it's a very nice rifle. Just bought a Hatsan 60s from A fellow member on here (after a sale fell through I got it :)). & I'd highly recommend the Hatsan over SMK Youngmans got Hatsan 55 -.177 or the 60- .22 @ £113 at the mo (new). if that's of any help to you mate.

8. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

SMK are importers, they don't make anything. The XS19 s fairly well made from reasonable materials. The B2 appears to be made by drunken chimps from empty toilet rolls and liquorice.

9. Pinki Pete

Pinki Pete Member

I get the feeling you're not a fan,,,, :p

10. Adam_h

Adam_h Engaging Member

As for dealers I would say I'd buy more fishing bits and a few acc's from Pownalls had several SMK over the years from them and as I've said the Synxs is IMO a good starting point (my wife loves hers). Youngmans offer better brands and are more a RFD shop then Pownalls are, there service and knowledge was better then Pownalls. But I will say ask around on here is a rifle catches your eye/ pocket in the sales section on here and buy off the forum, once you know what you want.

11. mattyts

mattyts Donator

You'll struggle to find a fan of the B2 because of how it shoots,most people who recommend it do so as a way to get into tuning and modification.

Spend another £70 more and get a Hatsan 60S, 1 step up from chinese manufacturing (Turkish ;) ) and miles ahead of the B2

12. Adam_h

Adam_h Engaging Member

As your only round the corner from me if you'd like to try one of mine to get an idea your most welcome.
    the five I have are:-
    BSA Lightning XL 'Theo Gas/Ram conv' .22 (Springer) with Hawk Map Pro 4-16x50 AO scope.
    Beretta Stoeger X20s Suppressor .22 (springer) with Stoeger 3-9x40 AO P/A BDC scope.
    Hatsan Mod 60, .22 (springer) with 4x32 scope.
    SMK - SYNXS, .22. (springer) with AGS 3-9x40 Mil-Dot scope. (now my wife's riffle).
    SMK 15 junior .177 (springer), with 4x20 scope. (my sons first riffle).

Catch up later got to take my pooch out for her night walks :).
    Regards Adam..

13. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

LIke I said, I only know what I have been told, but listen to what others have to say, From what I can gather it is much better made than some of the other SMK offerings.

14. Adam_h

Adam_h Engaging Member

15. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Nowt wrong with a nice turkish made rifle, you young wippersnapper!:D

16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

My mate stupidly paid fifty quid for a second-hand B2 (he's not the sharpest) and it was the worst bag of Censored ever. I'm not a bad shot but even with reasonable pellets I couldn't get a group at over ten yards that would fit on a dinner plate. Loud, harsh, inaccurate and unpleasant to look at; other than that, they're great.

17. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Duper Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I had reasonable accuracy with a b2 after a few throws I had it bang on and could hit the target with every throw of it :D

18. Adam_h

Adam_h Engaging Member

B2's are good cheap fun for cans IMO, I hated the bear trap on the B4 always made me feel like I was gonna lose a finger when ever I loaded. Both where fairish to shoot, but once you shoot another/ better gun you would never look back @ B2 /B4.

19. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Much chortling!!!:roflmao:

20. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

As a collector of airguns for many years in my opinion the B2 has brought more people into airguns than any other airgun made....as a airgun it is poorly made but its CHEAP and that makes it a ideal starter rifle.....many of the airgun snobs on here wont admit to having one....me i have had 2