1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question good ones? and bad ones?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jamessuper10, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jamessuper10

jamessuper10 Engaging Member

Hey chaps:cool:

iv been paying attention to some of the feeds on the forum and other forums, and the seems to be alot of convo about good pellets and bad pellets, could someone show me the difference between a good on and a bad on.

like iv said many times before i have shot with "pellet guns" for many years and i have never thought to try and distinguish between good and bad.

so any light on the matter would be great:D:up:

2. crowman

crowman Member

:up:good is a result :down: bad is a miss, worse is a wound

its all about finding the 1 that does well 4 u :thumb:

3. chiz

chiz Engaging Member

I've messed about with loads of different brands.

I now swear by H&N's Field Target Trophys, just took a little while to come up with the verdict.

I'll be using them for the foreseeable future as I buy them in bulk, usually about 5000 at a time!!

4. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

The most consistent and accurate pellet will always be the domed variety.
    Pointed pellets are not so good.
    Hollow point are good for close up vermin shooting.
    Flat heads are used for paper punching,as they make a bigger hole !!!

See if you can try various makes of domed pellets through your gun,to see which is the best for you.

Air arms field,Crossman accupels,Jsb exacts are good pellets to start with :up:

Steve :)

5. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I've got a sneaky feeling that James might be asking how to distinguish between a "good" or a "bad" pellet from the tin. The easy thing to look for is obvious damage, especialy around the more vulnerable skirt. The domed pellet is more aerodynamically stable, but only if the dome is uniform..check that too. More difficult to check is weight, size and balance, but all will affect the accuracy. You will have noticed that some pellets go into the barrel easier than others. It depends which one your gun is "set" for, but one will go closer to where you aim than the other.
    The easiest way is to get a pellet that is a known good quality generally and then you'll have less to worry about. There'll be more to follow on this I'm sure.

6. jamessuper10

hiya all
    thanks you all for your input but Buzz has hit the nail on the head!

i dont know if im the only one that has thought about this or not but do you not think that a hunting pellet "pointed" would be more auerodinamic than say a domed pellet just on it pointed shape, my mind would tell me that a small point would break through the air easier than say something that is nearflat and has a bigger surface area.

this is just from someone who like to know the ins and out of every thing, i mean if you put a boat on the water and it had a sharp bow it would 1. cut through the water faster 2. have less drag on the boat. As apposed to a flat stubbly bow that would create a larger surface area causing drag and slowing it down!

i hope i am making sense here:eek:

7. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

i get where you are coming from but i have no idea why pointed are not as accurate as domed. in theory it makes sence that pointed would pierce the air better than a domed but im not sure why it actually isnt more accurate than a domed pellet.

all i know is that pointed are not very accurate out to longer distances so i dont use 'em.

8. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

pointed pellets are actually less accurate ever wondered why bullets are domed and not pointed it's because of the way it leaves the barrel it's put into a spin by the rifling and a domed shape responds best to this

9. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

thats a boat and they are 1/2 in the water and 1/2 in the air.

look at a submarine;)

[​IMG]

dome shape nose.
    much more efficient in flight:)

right building on steves pellet types i say stick to rounders at all times.
    if you want close stopping power get a .22 dome with soft lead.
    if you want penetration and stopping power .22 with hard lead.
    if you want long range performance then a heavy .177

good pellets all depend on consistency and quality.
    generally the harder the pellet the less chance it will be damaged bus sometimes you need a soft pellet like in a barn shooting at close range.

you will be able to see a good pellet and a bad one.

try rolling them, if they rol nicley without jumping or roll at the same speed not randomly speeding up or slowing down they are good.

stick to good quality pellet brands and look at the skirt as this is the only part of the pellet thats likley to be damaged in the tin

10. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

sniper rounds are pointed

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...?q=.50+cal+sniper+bullet&gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off

however they their accuracy may have something to do with the 1/2 tonne of powder behind the round!!!

11. jamessuper10

hmmmmm:confused: i see the logic but... This is just me here! in my mind thin and pointy should be better but again i see the logic in the domed and i understand now! A1 you have to much time on your hand and you know to much!:up: good work guys you have help me clear that up:cool:

12. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

shal i take that as a compliment?:confused:

13. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

there not actually pointed they just look that way it's actually a slow taper so you get a stretched out dome that looks pointed i've got a cabinet full of bullets and if you look at them closely the end is very finely rounded off

14. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

so its a sharper dome in other words.

you need sniper rounds slighty pointed anyway as they are armour persing, piersing, erm, armor punch through rounds:confused:

they do shizzle loads of damage either way!!

15. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

aeroplanes have domed noses helicopters have domed noses paper aeroplanes have pointed noses how many of those do you see fly straight a point is only aerodynamic if everything behind it flows to the same lines so with a pointed pellet it would need to be a cone shape in order for it to be effective. If you try and get into the physics behind ballistics it will send you mad. I like to question stuff to but leave this one alone i've tried it all you end up with is a headache and more confused than ever :D

16. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

your right it's a sharper dome but still a dome rather than a true point made that way to acheive more penetration unlike magnum rounds which are a very rounded dome made for impact

17. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

just been doing some more searches and there are magnum rounds for .50 cal snipers but pointed domes are used most for long range penetration and velocity as its the speed that causes the most trauma as the bullet flys right through passing very little energy on itno the target.

also, ive gone into the physics of it too.
    i havent a mathimatical brain but i understand the physics of it so i leave it at that.

18. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

I understand the physics of it but the usual laws of physics don't allways apply to bullets and pellets after a while it just makes my brain hurt

19. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

its when you start taking enviromental factors into account that makes it fun:D

now look at the Coriolis effect. now that so much fun!!!!:D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect

20. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

Look at it this way,if a pointed pellet is not perfect,that is the point is not exactly in the middle,then the way that it spins through the air,it will increase in ever increasing spirals.That is why when you fire them at paper targets you will get the POI high,low,left and right depending on what point of the spiral the pellet is when it hits.Pointed pellets are prone to being unbalanced.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008