1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Good Luck Scotland

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by tinmanofkent, Sep 17, 2014.

1. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

So it's the evening before the big vote.

I happen to be up in Scotland on holiday right now and, as always, the Scottish people have been warm, welcoming and hospitable to me even with my blatant southern accent. The vote has come up several times in conversation and from what I can gather everyone up here is sick to death of the media coverage.

It's a big decision and the opinion poles seem very tight, in fact too tight to call. The 'yes' campaign certainly seem to have more banners up but the conversations I overhear between Scots have all been in favour of 'no'.

My personal view is that it's a shame there is no real independence on offer to the Scots, only really the choice to be ruled by one group of elitists or another. There is no doubt in my mind Scotland will be capable of standing on her own two feet but may well be stronger remaining in The Union.

I certainly hope once the votes are cast and counted there is no hatred or bickering back and forth across the border. At least one Englishman wishes you all the very best however your future pans out.

Good luck Scotland.

James

2. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Duper Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I wish them the best either way but hope they don't complain at what they get after they vote on it either way

3. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

Keep my fingers crossed for Scotland and the proper choice

4. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

It looks like half the population will be disappointed either way.

5. Ganton Gunner

not quite 1/2 ;)

6. Alex.B

Alex.B Big Poster

7. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

I dont mind what happens as long as I dont have to pay import duty on my bottle of malt:D

8. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

guess your looking forward to joining the EU and being ruled from the Bundestag rather than Westminster:D

9. Ganton Gunner

just start buying Irish everyone else will :D no duty on it

10. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Irish people having enough alcohol left over to sell? Don't think so :D

11. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

well James that's the most grown up and sensible thing I have read in this whole referendum.

On behalf of myself and Scotland, thank you!!

all the very best to everyone, north and south, and hope a fare deal is had for all of us, which ever way it goes.

Cheers.

12. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Sorry but the only ones going to get a fair deal win or lose will be the politicians, as usual.

13. Alex.B

Alex.B Big Poster

No I was just saying bye to Scotland ,:D

14. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

yes sorry, pete corrected me on my dreadful geography. Trouble is everything north of me is like a foreign country specially them brummie chaps;)

15. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Couldn't agree more mate!!

16. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

As an "Englishman" born in Scotland to a Scottish mother and having lived in England almost all my life I find it really sad that such a fine union of countries can be broken by the political aspirations of a few politicians.
    In particular I find it distressing that when so many votes on different issues have to have 2/3 to 1/3 or 60:40 majorities this referendum has been set up by politicians with crass stupidity so as to allow a major change to take place affecting some 70 million people throughout the UK by, in theory and quite possibly in practice, by one vote.
    Does that sound unrealistic? I think not. Where has anyone said that this change to the whole of the UK could not be triggered by such a tiny margin? The mind boggles that our politicians have allowed such a thing to happen and that what looks like a very close margin could leave half , or almost half, of a new country p****d off with the result!
    Perhaps even more annoying is that there are some 400,000 people who live in Scotland but weren't born there who can vote and that some 800,000 who were born there but live in England and elsewhere will have no vote in the future of their country. As we are frequently reminded, there is no going back!
    When politicians can be so stupid one realises why people trust them so little.
    Whatever the outcome I sincerely wish the people of my country of birth a successful and prosperous future.
    Dag

17. Trampilot

Trampilot Big Poster

There are a number of problems with the referendum as a whole:

1. Only current Scottish residents can vote. While this sounds logical this also includes students - who will probably go elsewhere in 4 years time and immigrants who may well stay for a bit and move on. It also excludes all Scottish people living elsewhere.

2. The rest of the Union aren't included. This would be like Westminster holding a referendum to stay in/leave the EU but only allowing the good people of Lichfield a vote.

3. There is no pass mark, in that 51% is enough. Mathematically a majority but hardly a moral one. A 66% minimum should have been applied. Something this important needs more than just a 1% majority rule.

4. Politicians got involved thus skewing any chance of honest debate and clear presentation of facts. It's become an anti-Tory campaign which is a problem. Also a successful Yes vote will finish off Labour in England forever - not that I'm pro-Labour but it balances out the other evils.

5. I read a story about a Scottish couple at a Edinburgh cafe. The waitress was from Eastern Europe. She was voting yes but planning to leave next year... tell me how that is right? There should have been a minimum of 5 years residence. This would cut out non-Scottish students.

6. People are stupid. Man on TV said "I voted Yes but I'm not sure if I did the right thing." Then you are an idiot and could have condemned the union to complete failure and maybe Scotland for decades of misery... (or not) but you see my point.

As for the the way it goes, I'm pro-Union, based on that I'm concerned that Alex Salmond's own epic ego has got in the way. He hasn't answered how he wants to start up the Scottish DVLA, Scottish Tax Office, Scottish Passport office, how Nationality will be defined (with Passports?), all Scottish people working in England and wanting to be Scottish will now have to apply for work permits, none of this has been mentioned... he is a fool and if it goes wrong he'll just blame Westminster.

The government have panicked with offering everything almost anyway. They should have waited for the result and work with that. Offering everything now means that Salmond wins regardless and the rest of the Union may lose (including Scotland). For Salmond this isn't about whats right for Scotland.

18. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I hear the accent all the time every day as my G/F is English and originally from Hampshire but most of her life in Aldershot. Oh, I also hear more "London" accents than ever before in my "little" part of South Wales as more and more of you get out of the "smoke". I also have loads of first cousins in London a result of a Scottish father and Welsh mother. They of course rightly regard themselves as 100% English :)

What a nice way of putting it James, brought a tear to my eye......Well, almost lol :D What a nice bloke you are :D. You would be most welcome to move to South Wales if you ever wanted to :D, and we'll even let you remain English and wave the Flag of St George now and then......Well, at your own risk of course ;)

Your sense of humour seems similar to mine, so I hope this was taken in the "friendly/jokey" way it was intended mate :)

Andy :)

19. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

Well that's the Scottish independence vote out of the way. Now I wonder if we will ever get one on our membership of the EU.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  20. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

Of course no offence has been taken!

My ideal would just be to refer to the country we all live in as the British Isles and if someone identifies them self as Scottish, English, Irish or Welsh that's fine. All these arguments I've been hearing are just fights over the spoils of war, where the likes of you and I are the spoils. So to hell with Holyrood, Westminster and The Welsh Assembly, I can't possibly imagine being worse without any of them.