1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Bad news Goddam syndicates!

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Egg, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Well, just got the phone call I've been expecting for some weeks. A shooting syndicate has been encroaching on the local farms over the period of a year or so and the guys that own the 2 farms I had permission to shoot on have finally succumbed to the temptation of cash for crop protection and let the syndicate in so I'm effectively without permission at this moment in time although the farmer on the bigger of the 2 has said that I'm still welcome to come on the land as long as the syndicate's not on it but how that's going to work I don't know :mad:

Farm 1's run by a young-ish guy with a family and bills to pay so I can see his point; farm 2's run by an older bloke with a drunken fanny of a son that has no interest in the land other than hooning around on a horse or 4x4 with a shotgun and a hip flask more or less always in his free hand so I'm guessing Davie "The Lush" Mc******* [name blacked out to protect the muppet] has been the driving force behind that one.

Ah well, better get a leg on to find something new but not as close as these 2 were - 10mn cycle away. I've been spoiled I guess.

b****r :(

2. Irvysan

Irvysan Posting Addict

That's poor mate, I don't suppose joining the syndicate is an option?

If you can't beat em and all that...

Irv

3. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

Thats a shame mate. Is it worth seeing if the land owner would put a word in with the syndicate and maybe they will let you join? If you are shooting air rifle only then maybe there is a deal to be done? I know its a kick in the knackers to have to pay for something you once had for free, but like you say people have bills to pay and money talks. With my syndicate I pay £200 per year. For that I get 1200 acres spread over 9 local farms. Compared to what I used to spend on fishing, its pretty good value I think.

Best of luck anyway mate. Hope it works out in the end!

4. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Aye, it's a bit of a whack in the balls but I had an inkling it was on the cards so it hasn't come completely out of the blue. Rumour mill says they're a bunch from the Clackmannan/Alloa area. They've been spreading eastwards like a virus for some time :D I know a couple of other guys that had the rug pulled from under their feet by this lot a year or so ago so the word's come from them as to where they're from but not who they are.

All's not lost though - if they're not on the land and I give Davie a call before I chance my arm down on the farm then win - on the bike, quick cycle down there to see what's what: they'll have a fair amount of ground to cover in their area of control so chances are they won't be there every day and a multi-gun syndicate they may be but they'll not hit every woodpigeon in the area. As long as I get my one or 2 woodies a week and can still saunter over the land unmolested I'm not going to be too downhearted. I still have my shotgun and can traipse down to Innerleithen in the Borders to my mate's place where he has the nod from the keeper to shoot pests on the Traquair estate. Bit of a trek but at least it means I'll be overnighting at my mate's so wine, whiskey, good cooking, top tunes and Jazz tobacco on the menu a bit more often than they've been of late.

I could go back to being a Hedge Hunter but, TBH, I'm a bit older and wiser than I was back in the day so that's not really too viable an option. Yet.

5. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

Sorry to hear that, I hope that you can sort something out.

John

6. ANGOF

ANGOF Posting Addict

Bad news indeed but both my local permissions also have the local syndicate shooting on them but they hardly ever seem to bother and then only lamping so maybe it wont be all that bad on the farm youve still got rights for. Fingers crossed for ya

7. nichard

nichard Engaging Member

My biggest permission in owned by one farmer that hes 2 woods with pheasant pens but I am still allowed by the land owner to shoot an air rifle there although the woods are out of bounds. Just speak to the land owners and explain that your pidly air rifle will have no impact on the vermin there compared to the sydicate and there shotguns

8. Egg

Egg Major Poster

TBH the issue's really about the Monetary Musclemen swaying into what were 2 pretty productive shoots and cutting me out of one of them (for definite) but the other one's still tacitly open to me assuming the syndicate aren't on the land at the time I want to fill the freezer and assuming they haven't decimated the woodpigeon population to the extent it's non viable for shooting - fat chance of that: woodies are clever but they're also greedy gits so they'll come where there's free food and as it's a cereal farm there's always going to be a free lunch at one time or another. I've spent time on farm # 1 with my shotgun alongside the landowner and that's how I got farm # 2 because the owner of that one joined us on a shoot a couple of Septembers back. I just prefer air rifling woodies as there's less metal in the meat so it's better eating :D

Thread's more a rant than an "OMG! I'm :censored: - I'm clutching my nuts but the fat lady aint singing yet.

9. Jack

Jack Big Poster

I too recently have had a permission ( my main one ) revoked due to a syndicate coming along. It's a turf farm so acres and acres of lush flat grass fields :( They(turf farm) said that they didnt mind me coming up but I would have to plan with them as the syndicate all .22 + shottys and 'trigger happy' apparently.. Sighhhh.

10. steevie dan

steevie dan Pro Poster

I've also lost land to syndicates infact a hell of alot so i know what it feels like mate, but i have recently got two of them back as some doppy **** in the syndicate, has shot a cat belonging to the farmer so they are out of there. Once the word spreads they will probably be lucky to have any of them lol, and it will, i'll make sure of it.

11. Tadpole

Tadpole Honorary Member

Feel for you Mr Egg, money talks that's the scourge of life.
    Fingers crossed your good looks :rolleyes: will help with a new permission :thumb: ................. :coffee:

12. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Not good at all guys :down:, i feel for you. I would be gutted if i lost my shoots. Hopefully it's not long before you get somewhere else :up:

13. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Thats crazy in Lincolnshire you have a job to find anyone reliable that wants to shoot on your land for free, let alone pay a lot of money to do it. Very sorry to hear this I hope something comes up soon.

14. Bertyb86

Bertyb86 Engaging Member

Sorry to hear this Egg, bloody shame. Losing my shoot is my biggest fear, hope nothing like this happens in future. Finding a permission is probably one of the hardest things I've had to do.

15. bunny stalker

bunny stalker Active Member

Yeh bit of a kick in the teeth. One of my permissions has a lamping syndicate travel about 50 miles every few weeks. Not too sure how much they pay but it must be worth it!!! I still get out there with my airgun though. I just make sure I do it just before they are due. Went just after once and the bunnies were well twitchy. Scarpering well before they were in range. Even with my best stalking!!!
    Good luck with current and future sites
    jb

16. pedro68

pedro68 Well-Known Member

hi Egg, i live in clackmannanshire and i chapped a few doors last year looking for permissions and the syndicate you mentioned have the place sewn up, i got told several times, "sorry we have a syndicate on the land". one farm said he had a real rabbit problem and would ask the synd if they minded me lamping a few bunnies around the farm ,i went back 2 weeks later and needless to say they said NO .i eventually got a few permissions but had to go further afield. i heard its an italian guy thats runs that synd, but that may just be gossip.hope you find something soon mate :up:

17. PAUL1986

PAUL1986 Big Poster

I have never heard of a shooting syndicate, what is the deal with them and how do they manage to drive a single shooter off his permission?
    the last thing you want when hunting is a big group of people with you, the less the better in my mind.

18. pedro68

pedro68 Well-Known Member

i think the syndicates use shot guns ,they wont bother with air rifles ,to much field craft involved , they will just rough shoot it with shotties i recon.

19. PAUL1986

PAUL1986 Big Poster

I hope I don't upset anyone with this, but I don't think shotgun shooters should be classed as hunters, I spent several years grouse beating on a local farm. the shooters stand still while the birds are driven towards them, then they send out the dogs to bring the birds back to them, some of them also had a young lad with them to pick up any spent cartirdges. I was looking for shooting sticks last week and came across another pointless invention for lazy shotgun shooters, an adjustable pole with a magnet on the end for picking up spent cartridges, heaven forbid they could expend any energy bending down to pick them up.

20. Dan Giliballs

Dan Giliballs Dave Boy Green ate my Trifle!!!!

Bit of a generalisation Paul - I shoot a shotgun so does that mean when I take the shotgun out i'm not hunting or have been degraded in status to not being a hunter

You'll find many more ways a shotgun is used for hunting... ooops sorry shooting quarry other that a driven shoot