1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Gmail - Reports This Site A Possible Phishing Scam

Discussion in 'Forum software help' started by HW100Tuning, Aug 28, 2019.

1. HW100Tuning

HW100Tuning Jaja Ding Dong

Any ideas why? Obviously I know it isn't a scam... just wondering as the message is annoying

thanks

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  2. Readie

Readie Grumpy Old Fart

We have a "Fishing" section....

RobTaylor likes this.
  3. Sky

Sky Top Poster

Gmail belongs to Google. Google want to rule the world. Anything Google is a security threat and possibly a virus, but most definitely a trojan - they want ALL your details and as much of your money as they can get.

I won't let anything Google near my computer; phishing, data-mining, profiteering, tax-evading scum-sucking pigs.

I don't like them either. ;)

:alone:

RobTaylor, wezil, Cartnoiré and 4 others like this.
  4. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

I know there was a potential move to get a certain emoticon removed from here, but while it's still available ...

Google = :handjob:

Nasty insidious company who try and dictate to their users all in the pursuit of profit.

Like Trev, you can probably tell I don't like them too.

Cartnoiré, peasemold, maz1 and 2 others like this.
  5. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Top Poster

I like their maps Sky, I can make the little man go up and down streets:). Bing Maps, I cant:(

6. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

This query came up some time ago, not sure that it was on Gmail but at the time Andy paid for a certificate notification gizmo what ever it's called a 'Green Padlock' in the URL slot, it's showing for me if that helps .. :thumb:

7. HW100Tuning

I searched and most replies ont tinterweb says it's probably something to do with a certificate... It's no bother just wondering.... I guess it could worry some people though

Tadpole likes this.
  8. Sky

Sky Top Poster

Google's extortion certificate has probably expired, so they're looking for more money by 'pretending' it's a security risk. :mad:

I rest my case M'Lud.

pjgtech and That hurts like this.
  9. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

it seems to me that some disgruntled ex member might have reported the address to gurgle as being a scam

10. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

if you click the padlock you can see the certificate is valid

Sky likes this.
  11. Simonix

Simonix Engaging Member

I have used a hotmail account for about 20 years now (made it in a computer lesson at school).

I never get any email notifications for anything on this forum. Doesn’t even register anything in the “spam” folder either.

I guess it’s just the way it is....

12. pbrown

pbrown Honorary Member

Have you got a screen shot or can you be more specific on when you've seen the message?

13. HW100Tuning

I agree but the message is from gasr#m@gmail.com :p

14. HW100Tuning

gasram.jpg

pbrown likes this.
  15. monsta41

monsta41 Donator

gasram is the forums email address

16. HW100Tuning

??? Yes I know (hence my original post)... I was making the point that even though gmail (google) are monsters etc etc even the forum is using it. :confused:

17. pbrown

pbrown Honorary Member

In this instance it's because the recipient and sender domain are the same, flippin stupid. :rolleyes:

18. HW100Tuning

But not all of them get marked like that....

19. pbrown

pbrown Honorary Member

Then a possibility is how the forum routes it's mail through Gmail.

20. jonnyuk

jonnyuk Posting Addict

The 'Green Padlock' on the site is produced by the SSL/TLS Certificate and managed by the forum/site manager. Not Google.

The way these work is there's a chain of trust between multiple certificates in a hierarchy, and each certificate is digitally signed by either the next trusted in the chain, but ultimately by a Certificate Authority (i.e. RapidSSL, Thawte) with the root certificates for those authorities being installed on your device (computer/tablet/phone) as a part of the Operating System. These have nothing whatsoever to with Google and they cannot be removed or changed.

When Google (Chrome) and other browsers load a site over a 'https' web address, they ask that server (in this case the server airgunforum.co.uk is on) for the sites SSL certificate/public key. The certificate is then validated using the root certificates on the device, they tell your device how to encrypt the traffic (how and with what cipher etc.) for security. This has nothing to do with this problem however and in my view, EVERY service transmitting or serving data should be secured with these certificates. Google did this en mass when they discovered the US National Security Agency were intercepting our emails and messages. They did it to secure your data.

Ironically, the problem here is Gmail is actually protecting you.

Gmail looks at the inbound/received email (gasram@gmail.com) and its content. It's seeing links in there and a whole varied amount of content/copy across different users.

It then looks where the email originated from (there's a whole host of different servers/services/records/markers it uses) and attempts to verify and validate the sender and the sender's domain.

In this case, it sees an email from @gmail.com when the email itself is referring to the airgunforum.co.uk domain, at the same the content refers to the airgunforum.co.uk domain and content. Therefore, Google is suspicious and thinks this is a phishing email. Much like emails from - for example - alan.hump374843@yandex.com but appearing in your mailbox as an email from HMRC asking you to fill out an online form for a tax rebate.

The email from the forum should really be something like noreply@airgunforum.co.uk, then the domain matches the email address and Google can validate it as such. This is done using what they call MX, SPF, DKIM and TXT records which are added to the domain DNS records by the administrators of the forum/server, telling Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo etc. that the domain/email have been validated.

This is an odd setup for the forum and will continue to cause problems with other mail platforms when they catch up with the AI mail technology Google use.

I'm a Software Engineer - I didn't Google this.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019