1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Give Up! & Find Professional Help

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Elk hunter, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

I've had the old man banging on about the increase in squirrel population around the farm. Now there's one thing you need to know about my eccentric father. All animals are tolerate till they do something wrong, this goes for children too. A couple of squirrels have been seen in the orchard around the bird feeder first thing in the morning. So now we have an epidemic and I get greif.

I've no desire to get up early and go to the farm sit and wait for critters to show. I've next to no patience as others on the forum will agree. So it's been a case of walk and stalk the wooded areas round the house and building. Come on how hard can it be!

[​IMG]

My quest started yesterday afternoon. An hour Stelth Walk with little success. Man theses suckers are quick, quicker than me. Even the woodies were all over me. I can stalk deer, but squirrels are having a laugh. Gave up and went back to constructive work tin can hunting.

[​IMG]

Today I thought I'd try my luck again. Great afternoon for a walk lots of wild life that had no intentions of standing or sitting still. Saw 5 critters and even one within 5 yards I just couldn't see him that close up. Again gave up. there's plenty of cover but this is no excuse.mmmmm or is it.

[​IMG]

Ive realised I'm no squirrel hunter due to lack of patience and will power as there's plenty to shoot even if the critters aren't about. I can't be bothered to bait them or trap them and I don't own a shotgun.

[​IMG]

So I'm open to suggestions before I get the pest controllers in or offer a day or two to local forum member with a little patience and a lot of time.

A despondent Andrew.
    Only up side loving the gopro.

2. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Two words Andrew, Drey poles!:D

3. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

I take it thats to poke them out, then shoot.

Andrew

4. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I know its bad practice now but as a lad, me and my mate who was a farmer, used to go around the farm him using an old relum tornado that would not knock a hole in a wet paper bag, and me with a full power FWB sport.

I used to get him to shoot at the drey with his door knocker, and then after a few shots the squirrel would usually bolt, and we would simply take chase, and get in front of it, and tree it up eventually on circling the tree it would present a shot and pop down it would come.

Shot absolutely hundreds this way if fact, my terrier got so used to it she would go around the tree and bark to send them my way, best squirrel dog I ever had that, but she liked to bury them, or eat them sometimes lol

She got bit with one as a pup sent her squirrel manic, Russel lakey bitch, bred her myself miss her.

5. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Yes but needs leaving until the leaves are off the trees or they get in the canopy a little too quick. Another way is use an old low power .22 springer and rattle them out with that if the drey is too high for your poles. .410 is plenty of gun.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  6. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Yes mate, the poles used to be readily available and often carried on beaters days by some unfortunate sod, I haven't seen any for years now.

Seems some keepers just put a shotgun shell into the dreys but I don't like that method at all, I would rather save them for airgun fodder and at least know you haven't left them injured in a drey.

7. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

Bag of monkey nuts on a little platform for a few days and you'll then know where they'll be! Take it as a challenge.
    Enjoy the hunt.

8. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Yes I would not use the shotgun shell through the drey in areas where there could be little owls.
    Poles or old springer to get them out the drey for us then a couple of guys with .410s.
    Cheers Andy

9. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Seems this Red squirrel ranger team do really well around Nut feeders, shooting 10-15 sometimes at a time, may be worth putting a few bird feeders strategically around the dreys and going getting comfy one morning early.

Make a great mornings sport.

10. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

My mates farm appears to have tons of squirrels around as I've seen loads of them myself. Trouble is, even when some of the cheeky one's allow me to get really close, they just don't seem to stay still for 1 single second, always scrabbling around here and there so I am unable to get a good, clean, accurate shot off at them......Hmmm :rolleyes:

Andy :)

11. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

First thing in th emorning, or last thing in the evening. Andrew, don't stalk the entire treeline, there will be one or two favoured feed gathering trees - oaks and sweet chestnut especially. Just get yourself a spot where you can sit against the base of a tree so you are not skylined from within, and they will come to you. A feeder is a good way of getting them - double your effort by siting a pheasant feeder in that ride - you just have to shoot that feeder area then. They will soon find it, especially if you put maize in it.

12. CJK1965

CJK1965 Banned BANNED

In areas where we cant shoot, we use heavy duty rat traps cable tied vertically to small trees, smear the pressure plate with peanut butter, works a treat.

13. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Have u thought of snares on there run lines abit of anasty way to do it but if causing damage and lot cheaper than a pest control officer and can be used again next year and so on ;)

14. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Too many "Andrews" around here, but I'm guessing you meant the OP? But good info all the same and I will try this myself :)

15. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

I'd say put a bird feeder up where its easy for you to shoot and buy some monkey nuts. Unlike rats, squirrels will sit still to munch on the bait.

Squirrels maybe the most sporting airgun quarry, very interactive and intelligent. They can move a long way while still concealing themselves on the hidden side of the tree. I would also divide squirrels into two camps, town and country. Any that go near gardens will behave very differently to ones in woods, being far more skittish.

Andrew, you NEED a shotgun. Forget that you don't like them and they 'do nothing for you'. If you want to taxidermy squirrels and crows you shoot they will be in far better nick if shot with a 12bore than a 25-06! I fear the squirrels you will experience while stalking need a shotgun.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  16. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

I have a magpie and a squirrel here you can practise on Elky...in the freezer until I come over...you might have a box full by then! The magpie you can consider your first commission....:D

17. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

True words James! My old man pops 'em down like nobodys business in his garden as he "doesn't like them stopping the garden/song birds feeding" :rolleyes:. Out on the farm though it's a different ball game as you say :). I must admit that I can stalk VERY close to some of them, but getting them in those crosshairs is a different matter altogether :rolleyes:. They learn very quickly to become "GunShy" if people have been taking shots at them regularly and missing I find. My mates farm has TONS of wood pigeons, crows, rooks and magpies flying about all over the place, but do you think I can stalk close enough to give my .22 Air Rifle even a slight chance of an instant kill shot? Not a chance lol. Gun-shy to the max! And when I try and just sit quietly under some trees waiting for them to land, they never come near :eek:. Can't seem to win lol :)

18. themadspread

themadspread Donator

wait till all the harvest goodies have gone put up a feedere theyll come to you luvly jubbly