1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

getting land / permission

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by maddog, Jul 5, 2007.

1. maddog

maddog Newbie

I've been reading through the posts on the site about how to gain permission for shooting on land etc, as i've just got back into the sport recently.

All the advice given by other members has been very helpfull but when it came to down to it, actually popping the question, it felt really akward.

It just didn't feel right asking a complete stranger if he or she would let me, a complete stranger to them, loose on their land with an air rifle. To be honest it felt down right cheeky.

There is a saying here up north " Shy Bairns Get Nee Sweets " and it's true. If you don't ask you'll never know the answer. But it still felt down right cheeky.

So a rethink on how to ask was in order, then it dawned on me.

Don't ask for permission.

Ask for their advice.

Advice on how to go about asking other farmers or landowners on how to get permission to shoot on their land.

I asked the farmer for his help, his advice, his knowledge, not his land. Even though I was asking indirectly, going the long way about it I suppose.

Well, the first time I used this approach it worked, and I now have just over 250 acres of farmland to shoot on! And best of all I didn't feel akward or cheeky when I made first contact with the farmer to ask him his advice.

Just thought I'd post this on here in case it might help any one else who may feel like I used to when approaching farmers or landowners.

2. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

your right maddog shy bairns get nowt;)

3. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Well done.

Old chinese proverb......'If you ask you feel a fool for 5 minutes if you don't ask you feel a fool forever'

Grasshopper!

4. splitter100

splitter100 Member

talking about shooting on land, is there anywhere we can shoot where we dont need to get permission,last time i went shooting the 1980,s we used to go down to the marhes out the back of where i live and never got permission and never got bothered by the old bill has the law changed thatmuch since then..

5. metalmorgan

metalmorgan Post Whore

I think we're suffering from the same problem - The problem being that we're British!

6. gunjac

gunjac Engaging Member

same as when i was a kid ,went hunting rabbit up the hill and over the old disused rail tracks. never ever thought i need to ask, never did, never got any stick for it. but now i am shxt worrid if the dog gets a rabbit and i dont know whos land it is, i mite be braking the law . how sad is that ?