1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Getting kitted up!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by TreeCarrot, May 27, 2015.

1. TreeCarrot

TreeCarrot Well-Known Member

Afternoon folks,

I've been plinking around with my new Gamo Varmint Hunter Classic .22 and whilst it's a great budget gun.. It is oh so bloody loud! Plus that spring recoil is a real tough one to tame. Groups at even close ranges are hard to come by due to it. Now I'm sure that's down to my shooting skill but after having a go with a few pcp's at my local club, I'm hooked. Plan to keep shooting my springer and really try to get my head around it.. but I'll definitely be switching to PCP soon...er than I thought!

Now, I'd quite like a PCP that isn't too tough to hand pump (so probably not 3000psi!). I'm not a fan of the carbine shape and would much prefer a multishot. It's got to be as quiet as possible. I'd like to be able to have a few shots in the garden and not terrify every bunny in a 3 mile radius whilst out in the field!

It'll be a predominantly hunting set-up for rabbits, pigeons and a little ratting.

Now comes the hard part.. I'd like to get set up for around £600 (That's the top end!). I've never been a huge fan of second-hand, so new if possible. Quality rifle, moderator, scope, fittings and pump for under £600.. is it possible guys?

Let me know what you'd go for guys! Or just tell me I'm crazy and have silly impossible fantasies. Either way, I appreciate it :D

Cheers.

Side thought - Is it THAT much cheaper to hand pump? Pumps aren't cheap and I'm sure I could get a second hand (I know I know..) tank for a fair price. What other peripherals would I need to tank it instead? I'm pretty clueless as to how many top-ups I could achieve with say, a 7 ltr 238bar tank so any info on that is appreciated. If I'll have to live at the local scuba club to do a bit of plinking and the odd rabbit hunt, I'm not sure about it.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  2. TreeCarrot

Another thought - .177 or .22 for my needs guys? Most my shooting will be at around 30-40 yards at rabbit.

3. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

To start with please don't just go out shooting anything alive until you can assure clean kills. You don't sound very experienced at all.
    .177 or .22 does not matter a jot. Head shots only and both will kill.
    Bottle is your best bet £120 from Go Dive Derby.
    As for rifle. Deduct £120 from your total then look online for the price of new rifles. Simples. I would suggest Air arms. Perhaps a CZ s200.
    But look for yourself!!!

4. TreeCarrot

I wouldn't dream of it! I'm utterly against any hunting with my current rifle due to my lack of control over the recoil. Until I'm confident of my technique and skill with a PCP, paper and steel will be the only thing I hunt!

After shooting a few different rifles at my local range, I think I'll settle for .177

Considering that bottle suggestion, £400 sounds pretty good for the rifle alone. That'd leave fittings, scope and moderator (if not included) with the remainder of the budget. (and the bottle of course)

Cheers mate, I'll have a google around :)

5. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

Another for the S200 here, but there are a few in that range, me I only shoot .177, try as many as you before parting with your cash, you'll get quite a few more recommenations I suspect from more qualified guys than me, good luck with your choice, atb.

6. DDS789

DDS789 Donator

Got a nearly new S400 for sale at the mo just reduced its price too (for sale section) it's .22 though. It will be more forgiving for hunting situations though.

7. TreeCarrot

Thanks for the input guys.

DDS, I'm not quite ready to get started yet buddy. Hope to really get the hang of my current rifle and do some more research before purchasing any new kit, thanks though mate.

I've been looking at the S200 but new, you're talking £400+ before adding the multi-shot adapter. Can get hold of a Webley Raider 10 XS in .177 with moderator and no need for an adaptor for bang on £400. Reviews seem fairly decent.

Then again, if I were to go down the second hand route, I could go for an S400 for around the same price! That's pretty convincing...

8. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

All above sounds good, but get a 300bar 7/9 ltr and you will get possibly 50 to 80 good fills on a normal PCP. If you get a 232bar cylinder you will get a lot less fills as once it get's below around 150bar it really is ready to be filled again.

James

9. TreeCarrot

Thanks buddy :) Are 300bar bottles readily available? Need to keep the rice fairly low so a second hand one will probably be needed.

I'd also been reading that some scuba clubs are reluctant to fill to 300? Suppose I'll have to ring my most local! Cheers mate.

Edit - Had a google, looks like specific pcp 300bar bottles are common. Anyone got an experience filling them at a dive club?

10. themadspread

themadspread Donator

fill mine at a dive centre(7lt 300 bar)do not discount second hand either there are some good deals on here at the moment a decent s400 for £400 with silencer etc is common at the moment

11. TreeCarrot

Okay then, 7 ltr 300 bar is on the list!

I'm starting to see the light regarding second hand. My only concern being that my inexperience may hide issues with a potential purchase. Don't really have the experience to spot a good buy and avoid a bad one.

Cheers buddy.

12. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    personally, I'd go the second hand route, you get a lot more for your money. as a rule, the asking price for all gear is 2/3rds of the value as new (assuming it's in v good condition). based on this, your £600 budget will get you a set up that cost £900 ish not long ago. my recommendation would be an air arms s400 or 410 (.177) scoped up, moderator and a 7l 300 bar fill bottle. I've seen full set ups like this for around your budget. if it were me, I'd get to a rfd, shoulder a few rifles and see what fits ( one will stand out more than the others). then when the rifle is chosen, put a wanted ad up and keep an eye on the sale section - you'll be sorted in a couple of weeks.

13. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    just had a look in the sale section, daystate huntsman classic with extras and bottle for £495, well worth it. leaves £100 for a scope plus fuel to get it. try a cheeky bid of £450! Look for wolfie64

14. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

There's also a nice S200 with scope in the sale's section, well worth a look, atb.