1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Getting back in the fold ......

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Nick_H, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Nick_H

Nick_H Member

Hi all ! It looks like ive been bitten by the bug after probably a 20 + year gap....

I sold all my guns around 6 years ago but had not been shooting for years before that.

I had :

BSA Airsporter S 177
    BSA Scorpion 177
    Diana G80 177
    BSA Mercury 22
    HW77 22
    HW35e 177

and various scopes.

I've been researching for about a week and have it down too 3 rifles :

HW97
    Air Arms Pro Sport
    Air Arms Tx200

Scope i've been looking at is the MTC Taipan 6-24x56IR

I'm now leaning more towards the TX200 over the Pro Sport. Mainly because I prefer the looks.

I've not held any of the rifles yet. Thats the next step.

Also how aminable are Farmers these days ? In the day we had a few we could just tip a tenner too and have a great days shooting on their land.

Advice and reccomendations gratefully recieved !

2. Biker_Bob

Biker_Bob Active Member

Any of those rifles will do - but you'll know when you handle them which is right for you.
    The 97 and TX feel muzzle heavy to me, the Prosport carries it's weight closer in to your shoulder.

In terms of shooting permission, as you'd expect it's a bit crap these days - you'll have to work harder to find one but they're still out there. It's a good idea to join the BASC/BASA so you can turn up with your little insurance card.

3. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

Oddly enough, it was the same three choice's for me too, I went with the TX200mk3 standard lengh in .177. The HW for me I didn't like, the one I looked at had a bad finish which surprised me considering the German engineering is usually of a very high quality. The ProSport was priced quite high in comparison to the TX200 and for the difference I could not justify... Although as said and I'm sure you well know already, there is nothing like holding a rifle to see what feels right for you... My choice on the day was the HW100 but will all the bits and pieces to go with it, I really didn't want to spend £1300.00, so I settled for the TX, it is an awesome rifle, I'm very happy, not often do I make the right choice at the right time... and shopping is half the fun.:D:up:

4. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

If i was chooseing any from your list i would be looking for a smaller scope.....any of the rifles and that scope would be one hell of a lump to carry round for a hunting trip.....just my opinion of course :)

5. leaky5

leaky5 Donator

+1 also a large scope might cover the loading port

6. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Welcome back to the sport, enjoy your stay and let us know which setup you settled for.atb Paul.

7. 177man

177man Engaging Member

Hi iv'e had all three of the rifles you mentioned and still have the tx and the pro sport nuff said Si

8. Nick_H

Nick_H Member

Thanks all. The scope .... We'll this will be one time where I don't have to scrimp on the kit so I thought get the best scope !

ive read some reviews of the Taipan and they seem to be pretty good. The weight issue doesn't really bother me although I may live to regret these words :)

of course I need to check if it's ok with whatever gun I decide to go with.

should I be considering another scope ? If so which one for my 1k gun and scope budget.

Should I be considering other options ?

What about pre charge and gas ram ?

In my old fashioned blinkered way of thinking these don't seem like proper air rifles.

Do I need educating ?

9. themadspread

themadspread Donator

stick with the tx200 better out the box than a hw97 but the 97 with a qualiyyty tune up is a way better gun.someone above mentioned about getting a permission that its a big plus getting a basc cover (46 quid) or something similar is a good tip a lot of places insist on it nowadays and wont entertain you on thier land without it atb andy

10. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

As above really, also have a ganders at hw98 and of course my favorite springer "webley longbow" these were made for 12ftlb power and suit it well, once tuned (something you could look into) they are sublime.

As for scopes, tapian sounds way over the top to me, a nice simple high quality scope is my taste (especially for springers) so I advise looking at nikons, Bushnell legends and old Japanese scopes

11. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

When I do get around to buying my HW100 I was looking to put the Falcon Menace 4-16x44 on it. Priced around £280.00 for the IR model and I understand they are a very good scope. Of course I will look at the optic's for clarity etc, but I quite fancy a First Focal Plane scope for the ease of hold over points etc. So if your budget is a good one the Falcon scope could be a very nice addition. I think sometimes having more than enough for a budget can be a pain as much as a joy, as your options and choices for gear are increased. :up:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  12. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

Hi Nick and welcome along. PCP's and springers are certainly different animals and you'd realy need to try both for yourself. Can you get to a shop/club where you could try a selection of guns ?

What will you be using the gun for ?