1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Bad news Geting Permission

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Radoslaw, May 10, 2012.

1. Radoslaw

Radoslaw Engaging Member

I have recently get in to my car and decide to drive around local farms to ask for a possibility of shooting on the land.
    I have heard that knocking to farmers doors will provide more chance of getting a permission.
    Well it was one of the most frustrating days of my live. Firstly I was driving around local country rounds looking for farms.
    Most of the people I have spoke to looked at my like they have no idea what I'm talking about and have even less willingness to talk about it.
    Others just said they do a pest control by them self and don't need me or they already have a plenty of hunters (so basically what they said is (swear word)-off).
    All together driving around for hours, knocking to empty houses, looking for something that looks like a possible farm was a nightmare.
    I decide to send more letters through the post as then at least I know that address I have found on google is a farm, not a house on the farm that have nothing to do with it.
    After half a day of wasting my time I did not get any closer to my first permission.
    Just decided I will share some or my bad energy with you all, thanks for reading.:(

2. mark2191

mark2191 Busy Member

keep at it mate, try stables, golf courses, kennels ect

3. Dunkman

Dunkman Post Whore

Find a local country pub and visit it one evening and get chatting to the locals and this often works wonders- Relaxed atmosphere, they get to see you in person and the chance to have a beer with them. If you don't speak to any farmers directly, you can bet that someone in there knows them and can point you in the right direction and to start a conversation with "I was chatting to bob Evans the other night and he said to talk to you" works wonders.

4. rogersavery

rogersavery Well-Known Member

Dont discount a house on or near a farm - if the farm is overrun by pests, then this might also effect the house owner, who will be more than happy to see you and they will help make any arrangements with the farmer

5. DBD81

DBD81 Well-Known Member

Not always the case as i found out first hand.. Had a call from a guy who lives on a huge plot.. When i was driving to his house surounded by land i thought i'd hit the jackpot... Turned out he only owned the house and the acres of surrounding land belongs to a tit a already asked.. I was pretty gutted to say the least..

Back to the topic.

I've also travelled miles upon miles for permission.. Diesel cost hurts and to be knocked back time after time gets frustrating, but we have to stick at it... The worst possible thing that happends is when a farmers rude or tells you to (swear word) off his land..

Like i say,, Stick at it.. You can only hope your efforts pay off.

6. langy

langy Engaging Member

speak to friends or family etc and see if they know any farmers, this is how me and my mate got our permission... the guy that my mate works with knew a farmer and then introduced my mate to the farmer, after that the farmer was cool with us going down... lets us go down when ever we want and even gets ferrets from surrounding farmers for us to use for getting rats

7. Silentshot1

Silentshot1 Member

From the other side of the fence, imagine you're sitting at home doing some paperwork, watching TV, having a coffee, on the loo etc. A guy turns up at your door, you've never met him, you know nothing about him. He asks if he can shoot in your back garden. He promises he is safe, trustworthy and will do a good job. He (hopefully) shows you some insurance documents and produces a peice of paper for you to sign! He may be the forth that week to call and you may have let a friends son shoot in your garden once but you had three complaints and it was so much hassle you decided to call a halt to it. In honesty, I'm not sure I would be that enthralled!

One day however, you've come back from cutting the grass and noticed a some real rabbit damage in the corner of the garden, you don't have time to shoot it yourself and the guy with the ferrets hasn't been seen in two months! Bloomin vermin etc! A guy calls at your door, dressed in some jeans, a shirt and dealer boots, with BASC membership and asks to shoot the damaged area.....

Long way round to saying it's all right place, right time and looking the part.... It just might not have been your day, but at least you tried!

8. nichard

nichard Engaging Member

Where are you based?

9. megga

megga Busy Member

When i first wanted to start hunting, I had no experance, not much idea and started with phone calls, no was the answer, so i thought, i (a complete stranger) am asking if i can use a fire arms on there land.
    So, i got copies of my insurance.
    Letters explaining what i did.
    A permision slip.

5 Weeks i went out every weekend, houses, clubs, farms all with "No sorry" and then i was told that i have no chance round here, they all do each others. Thanking him and giving him my number, (it was teaming down at the time and i was drenched) I just went to the next farm, went through the same blah blah, and he said, you can soot the magpie and jackdaws Sucsess. As time went by he let me have a bit more and now i have the whole 350 acre, and i can do his brother on the next field. While i was getting my gun ready on his permission, the guy who told me "i have no chance" asked if i could go and sort some pigeons out.

Its mainly a trust thing, and you have to put yourself in there shoes. Plus 1 whole day is nothing, if it was easy, you would not get a chance because, the farms would be full of shooters. It takes time and a whole lot of commitment.

10. WebleyExcel

WebleyExcel Junior Member

Also Try local waste disposal places like skip hire companies i had permission on one to shoot rats, but its shut down now so i cant go anymore .

11. hobson

hobson Engaging Member

You can find where your nearest farms are if you buy an Ordnance Survey map, the majority of farms will be on there, the map will also show open areas of land, public footpaths, rights of way etc, they're a must have in my opinion.

If you go on the OS website you can search for your relevant map using your postcode.

12. nichard

nichard Engaging Member

Find out the land owner/ managers name and asked for him by name. Find out what is growing in the field that you are asking permission in and make it look as though you are not a bell end. Don't go in full camo gear and if you have any young kids take them as I feel this sometimes helps. As said earlier try to find someone that knows him and say 'I was talking to....' As a last resort you could ask permission to lay a couple of unseen underground mole traps to help your trapping technique, this way he gets to know you and that you can be trusted on his land. After a month report back and say how many you have caught and then mention the air rifle shooting. If it is still a 'no' he might put you onto someone that will take you on their land. I got a huge permission a couple of weeks ago but last night I tried a neighbouring land owner and he said 'what gun are you using?' when I said 'an air rifle' he said 'we have horses in there' I said 'its very quiet' and he said 'i'm worried about the pellets hitting them' I fought the urge to say 'don't be c"""' but I kept my cool and left. Just think outside the box a bit and keep trying.

13. Radoslaw

Radoslaw Engaging Member

I'm based in Medway Towns Kent. But I can travel far for a nice day of shooting.

14. whitevanman574

whitevanman574 Donator

Go on vistaprint get a load of pest control cards made up with freeeeeee on it and shove them throgh letterboxes i had a great response

15. guyver

guyver Busy Member

im in the same boat mate been trying a few weeks now but i keep putting the feelers out asking friends a family if they know anyone

16. Evolve82

Evolve82 Big Poster

Anyone got a copy of the letter they send to land owners to get a permission? I would be grateful as what I am writing just sounds rubbish!! It would be really kind if you were to give me a few phrases I can send in an email to get some potential permissions!

I have not sent any out yet but do not want to mess up the few chances I may have!

17. bradleymarky

bradleymarky Keyboard Hero

try this mate.

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/hunting/77147-getting-hunting-permission-hints-tips.html

18. andy46

andy46 Donator

here you go mate,just add or take away anything you dont want
    View attachment andy.txt