1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

General license question...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Andytattoo, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Andytattoo

Andytattoo Donator

Hi guys,
    Yesterday there was a post about a guy who shot a pigeon in his garden and the GL was mentioned? Then the post was deleted...i have rats in the garden eating through lots of stuff and have some great shooting chances as they are using my garden as a run to another location, surely this isnt in breach of the license or should i just use poison? Dont want to break the law so thought id ask you good people.

all the best

Andy

2. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

General license only applies to bird species - make sure your pellets stay within your boundaries, and if within 50 feet of the centre of a highway ensure that no injury, interruption or fear is caused by your shooting and bash those rats good.

3. Andytattoo

Andytattoo Donator

they are using my shed to run through and i can shoot from inside the garage so the pellet has absolutely no chance of leaving, we get lots of mice aswell but they all do damage. is it ok to shoot these?

4. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Shoot them, fill your boots, bloody things.

5. Andytattoo

Andytattoo Donator

Thats great news, not so good for them then. I have been storing my ground baits in the shed and they have been helping them selves , when i moved a few bags earlier a rat and i think a small mouse bolted across the shed and out the door and across the bottom of the small wall they use as a run....ill get some food down and see what i can get (ground bait is now stored in buckets with lids)

all the best

Andy

6. man-tee

man-tee Engaging Member

Thanks, while I understood you can not shoot the big fat woodie that's just landed on your rear lawn, I did not know the GL applied only to birds.
    So if a bunny came a hopping on my lawn and (all of the reasons were held to in Jackroadkill's post), I could shoot it and eat it?
    I would be amazed if the answer came back as yes you can, as I thought we lived in the United Kingdom of 'no you can't!

7. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Yes that's fine!

So long as,
    You kill it in a humane way, or if you don't kill it in a humane way it was not intention or neglect that caused it to suffer.
    Your pellets don't leave your garden.
    And you are not within 50 feet of the centre of the highway causing injury interruption ect .
    The general licence does not apply to birds that have seasons. If a pheasant walks into your garden in the season you can shoot and eat it no problem.

Cheers Andy

8. bunny basher

bunny basher Engaging Member

i have to say that i have shot some pigeons in my garden as i grow veg and keep chickens so i cant have these birds coming in and helping them selves to my stuff chicken feed and veg but it is only half a dozen a year most of them don't bother and i feel that i am in the right for doing so

9. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

General legal advice is that it is not allowed. If you contact your shooting organisation they will tell you that as a veg patch can be netted it is illegal to shoot pigeons that are damaging it.
    The whole thing is a very grey area though. If you feel in your circumstance you are within the law carry on. But take care you are sure.
    The general licences look to be getting a lot tougher to comply with as from the 1st January.
    Cheers Andy

10. Picklehoffer

Picklehoffer Ministry of Foolishness

r10hunter is spot on.

In short, ALL BIRDS in England are protected by law, however, the General Licence allows the humane killing of certain (pest) species if all lawful efforts have failed or are impractical.

Here's a link to Natural England's website explaining it fully.

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/wml-gl04_tcm6-24149.pdf

You don't have to apply for a general licence, but you DO have to comply with the terms and conditions.

Good thread, this one! :up:

11. Andytattoo

Andytattoo Donator

so as i understand it, rodents are fair game but birds are not, i have chickens aswell and lots of veg in a fairly large garden, i have nets over the crops but birds still manage to get through, i have no intention of shooting birds in the garden as my permissions have enough to keep freezer full but the law says i cannot as i must use prevention methods? what if these fail? i know its a grey area but trying to understand as i had a pigeon caught in the net once and i killed it and i dont want to go to jail lol

12. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

If you have tried every method of deterrent and it has failed, then maybe (and only maybe; it's a grey area, as these things are wont to be...) shooting would be legal.

13. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

This is where it gets messy, you can shoot birds to prevent 'serious damage to crops', the spirit of the licence means crops that are grown to feed the country and export, not cabbages in a back garden, but this isn't written as clearly as that.

14. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

That's a better way of explaining it than my attempt!

15. Andytattoo

Andytattoo Donator

i understand what your saying , so its ok for farmers to protect what they grow but when i save myself money and grow my own reducing my waste etc i cant get the same priveledges? and dont get the right to protect my crop? good old united kingdom

andy

16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Well, as we said, it's a grey area. Whether the law would come down on your side is, literally, anyone's guess.

17. Andytattoo

Andytattoo Donator

thats what i was getting at, its grey area for us that want to do our bit and not worth the hassle in my opinion.they can live for free off my land but im going to shoot more up the farm now lol

18. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Thats something for you to bring up with natural England, in perspective, our farm lost a estimated 4 thousand (it's been estimated ten times that some years depending on crop!) from pigeon and rabbit last year, that's with intensive pest control, every farm that loses that or more and you see harvested crop prices go up, exporting is compromised, that's not the same as losing 3 quid on damaged leeks in your back garden.

Im not patronising you, it's illegal to shoot any wild bird in this country, the legal exceptions are there for a good reason, it's a balance of preventing people from pot shotting in a back garden, and protecting the agricultural business of the whole country. Both are very far removed from each other.

Ive always said, if YOU feel as though you are complying to the GL, go ahead and shoot.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  19. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

20. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

I think it's great that this forum is so receptive to the GL, it sets us apart.

Importantly, to me, the GL is negated by the fact that we should ALL know, shooting a wild bird (Blackbird, robin, pigeon, whatever) in a garden as it's going about it's business to survive is wrong, that's the difference between what I call 'shooters' and people 'who shoot'.