1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Garage Queries...

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by pjgtech, Oct 12, 2021.

1. pjgtech

pjgtech I shoot, therefore I aim......

My first garage has a slight issue, the garage door, (bog standard up and over type, manual) has a slight gap (about 5mm) at the top RHS corner (if standing outside the garage at the front of the house).
    I assume that side of the door has been bent at some point (the house is four years old).
    I have tried to put some pressure on it to bend it back, but its not having it....
    It does not appear to let in rain, no signs of damp, etc, but....it does seem to let in quite a draft, so even now I can feel a temperature drop, when compared to the house.
    There is no heating in the garage, but I can install a heater.
    Can garage doors be repaired? is it worth it, eg: are they generally a bit drafty anyway?

The reason I ask is that I am considering putting an extra fridge/freezer and a tumble dryer in there, but the manufacturers / suppliers all state they should not be used in a garage as the temp is likely to fall below 10 degrees C. If I put a small heater heat in to top the temp up a bit will the fridge and dryer be ok, or are they likely to rust at the first opportunity?

Its a cavity (outer brick and inner block) built garage, but its not insulated / plastered with concrete floor and non insulated roof (tiled).

Do any of you have appliances in your garages?

As I say, this is my first garage, so its all new to me.

2. _foxbat_

_foxbat_ Busy Member

Our garage is always cold and draughty. You can get fridge freezers that are safe for use in garages. I keep my beer in one. :D

pjgtech likes this.
  3. Jimmypie

Jimmypie Pffft , Pop , Twang , Bang

Draft excluders fitted to the perimeter of the door will help a little bit but in all honesty with zero insulation fitted that heater will be working hard 24/7 to keep an ambient temp and keep the damp at bay . The metal door is your biggest problem so if you don’t use the up and over consider a simple stud partition behind it with a vapour barrier & layer of PB .

insulate as much as you can imo .

pjgtech and Lukeypoodle like this.
  4. Jonkem

Jonkem Pro Poster

You'll never keep a garage warm when it's got an uninsulated floor and simple garage door fitted.
    Get a freezer that's happy at ambient temp and get on with life :up:

pjgtech likes this.
  5. JDE64

JDE64 Engaging Member

Most freezers in the UK stop working under 7 degrees unless it's stated they are suitable for outhouses and garages, yes I found out the hard way and have a new freezer correctly rated in the garage.

pjgtech likes this.
  6. pjgtech

Ok, so will look for garage rated appliance, cheers, its not crucial, we have a fridge freezer in the kitchen, but they are built in and a little on the small side, so are considering another one, but its not essential.... :up:

7. Rair rifles

Rair rifles Engaging Member

Sounds to me like your house is still finding its level .New properties always move till they finally settle .If I was you I would leave it a while before getting any work done .Talk to your neighbours are if they are have the same issues .Also your timbers will move because today they are not seasoned ie. left in a timber yard like they used to over a period off time to get used to the climate changes .I would try to pack it out .

pjgtech likes this.
  8. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Seem to remember that you can adjust the spring tension on one side or the other to try and centralise the door ?

pjgtech likes this.
  9. Wacko74

Wacko74 Busy Member

Beko fridge freezers are normally ok in a garage. One of very few that actually are unless you are prepared to pay

pjgtech likes this.
  10. pjgtech

No, its not settlement or movement, (I'm a surveyor) the garage door is bent due to being hit or damaged.

11. Plinky Dave

Plinky Dave Posting Addict

I’ve got two freezers a washer and dryer and gas boiler in a similar type of attached garage metal door with minimal draft proofing. Never noticed a problem with the appliances during the winter but it does get hot in the summer. I’ve never measured the temp in there in the 10 years but now you’ve planted a seed of doubt.

pjgtech likes this.
  12. pjgtech

Cheers, will have a look it may pull it back into shape a bit, ta... :up:

13. pjgtech

If they've been in there for 10 years and you've not noticed any issues, they are probably fine... :thumb:

14. pjgtech

Yep, i've now seen a few, garage rated, quite cheap too, ta......

15. Rat Man

Rat Man Comfortably Numb

I’ve had a normal domestic fridge/freezer in an unheated outbuilding for about 6 years now with no problems at all to date.

pjgtech likes this.
  16. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

Is the garage attached to the house? I had similar years ago, never used the garage for the car so I put a stud wall across, insulated roof and walls, fitted a radiator piped from the kitchen and made it into a utility room/workshop.
    Front of the garage became a garden store and motorbike shed.

pjgtech likes this.
  17. MrLongbeard

MrLongbeard Engaging Member

I run a beer fridge in the garage with no bother.
    You'll never get a bog standard garage warm without any insulation, but I run a 5' tube heater to keep the damp at pay over the winter months;

[​IMG]2020-12-21_01-43-51 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr

pjgtech likes this.
  18. Grey Man

Grey Man Big Poster

Washing machines usually have some water left in them after cycling. This can freeze and wreck the machine. Happened to an acquaintance of mine. Even tumble dryers can have some retained moisture.

pjgtech likes this.
  19. keithy

keithy Big Poster

What you can do is stick foam sheet on the inside of the door. Like the stuff used for yoga mats it does make a difference and keeps the garage above freezing when its sub zero outside.

pjgtech likes this.
  20. Chinook

Chinook Engaging Member

My garage is always cool and draughty, even though I put a rubber strip around the obvious door gaps. Oh and I have a freezer, a beer cooler and a home made beer keg chiller in there, all working fine without any heating. Most important is the 7 yard shooting gallery/range for my air guns.

pjgtech likes this.