1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Garage Bench Recommendation

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by pjgtech, Oct 4, 2021.

1. pjgtech

pjgtech I shoot, therefore I aim......

I need a decent bench for my garage. :)
    Can anyone recommend a decent one for up to about £150
    Needs to be about 1m to 2m long, shelves / drawers are not essential, but would be nice.
    This is only for home, DIY, light use, nothing heavy or industrial.
    I have been looking at this one, see link
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cwb-r1b-workbench-with-pegboard-back-pa/
    It will be used for the age old task of "pottering" and "fettling".... :thumb:
    I have plenty of storage (ish) but I don't have an actual worktop / working surface in the garage.
    Hence this request.... wot u got / wot do u recommend.
    Ta....:up:

RichieRich likes this.
  2. SJC

SJC Shooter and golfer.

Make one..
    Mine is from 3”x 2” mainly with the top 4” x 2”.
    I then put a sheet of thin ply on top from a sheet of 8’ x 4’.
    I’ve had the bench about 4 yeas it’s on it’s second ply sheet when it gets too battered I change t..

3. mightyrover

mightyrover Donator

I've got a macallister collapsible work bench from screwfix I carry in the van and it takes some hammer. But hasn't let me down about £60.

SJC and pjgtech like this.
  4. pjgtech

Hi, yeah I could make one, but I'm just too lazy and can't be ar*ed! :facepalm:
    In my old house I had a large shed/workshop (about 4m x 3m) and I built all the work benches and shelving, I mostly used 50x50mm timbers and 18mm MDF, they were just starting to bow a bit, but they had lasted about 20 yrs, but I was younger and keener then, now I'd rather just buy one! :D

jesim1 likes this.
  5. SJC

SJC Shooter and golfer.

Good choice as a portable bench..

pjgtech likes this.
  6. pjgtech

Yep, looked at those, looks well made, but I want summit a bit longer (as I think thats only just over 0.5m) and its gonna be permanent for me, so no need for collapsible, (plus I've already got a workmate) but I can see they would be great for a jobbing contractor.... cheers :up:

7. Ragnar Hairybreeks

Ragnar Hairybreeks Check out my leather balm on Members Manufactured Staff Member Mod/Admin

Can you weld? Box section frame and cap with off cut kitchen counter. Solid as a rock.

I think my 3m bench came in at around £40.

bighit, Twoplusfour1 and pjgtech like this.
  8. pjgtech

Nope, not a welder, but I may reconsider just making my own, I'm just bloody lazy and got loads of other jobs to do on the list already...! :facepalm: :D:D:D

9. Twoplusfour1

Twoplusfour1 Donator

pjgtech likes this.
  10. pjgtech

Wow, that looks ideal and great price. Whenever I go into a Lidl or Aldi they never seem to have these deals on, I always seem to miss them!

Twoplusfour1 likes this.
  11. Twoplusfour1

Twoplusfour1 Donator

That's a shame. They sell a lot of crap but this has impressed me.

12. SamG340

SamG340 Posting Addict

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    pjgtech likes this.
  13. SamG340

SamG340 Posting Addict

Halfords boltless bench . they are absolutely superb , sadly think they've stopped making them. if you can find one, jump on it . you won't regret it

Workbench.png

pjgtech likes this.
  14. ShineySpanners

ShineySpanners Engaging Member

My dad's got that bench, I'm 6ft 2 and find it a little low for my taste, but it's done the job for years.

I much prefer my own at 1100 mm height to bench top, I don't get a sore back working on it.

pjgtech likes this.
  15. Brother Caleb

Brother Caleb You have been judged and found unworthy!

The Clarke benches are pretty crap to be honest, we had some at work and they didn’t last. We didn’t use them for heavy duty stuff just work stations for filling in paperwork and putting tool boxes on etc went wobbly really quickly.

If you have the kit and the ability just make your own or keep an eye out for factory clearance sales.

16. Jimmypie

Jimmypie Pffft , Pop , Twang , Bang

Have to say that whilst it maybe a bit of effort that making your own if possible is the way forward , you can set the height , width and depth to exactly how you want it .
    All my benches are made from 3/4” T&G waterproof chipboard flooring , made up like kitchen carcasses but doubled up the tops so I have 1-1/2” thick tops . Cheap , sturdy , heavy and dead flat tops with no chance of warping or swelling . 8ft x 2ft Sheets are (depending where you go ) between £14-£20 each .

17. Trampilot

Trampilot Big Poster

Have you thought of making your own? Like you I looked on Machine Mart and then realised that I had all the timber I needed to make my own. Nearly all of it was scrap. Some was left by the builders. Some was left over from the shed. Some doubt over expertise so I drafted out a design. Did some You Tube research and built it over a couple of weekends.

Very satisfying and totally level! It has a couple of shelves too.

Attached Files:

18. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

I had that one you have linked, It was ok, but the bench board was flimsy, and in the cold damp garage environment, it started to sag in the middle.
    If you go for this one, i'd replace the MDF for some good plywood if you want to mount a vice to it too

pjgtech likes this.
  19. pjgtech

Cheer RR, thats exactly what I was thinking, put a decent thicker board on top, eg: 18mm mdf or ply or even a kitchen worktop. :thumb:

RichieRich likes this.
  20. Bezzer

Bezzer Posting Addict

I've got two of those you posted but didn't pay that much for them, they are a common generic bench and you will find the same ones rebranded a lot cheaper on fleabay. They are fine for general working and can take a bit of weight and hammer, all I've done with mine is used a piece of kitchen worktop on the top then used the supplied top as reinforcing behind the pegboard.
    20191010_122517.jpg

The second one hasn't got a drawer, should have been in a second box but wasn't delivered. Complained so they sent both boxes out instead of just the one I needed (Argos) and driver wouldn't take the box I 'd already got back, a jobsworth "It says delivery of 2 boxes". Asked for it for it to be collected, never was so it lives in the shed, worktop top same as the other, tons of weight stowed underneath, vice on top that gets some use, no problem.:D
    20211005_122110.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    pjgtech likes this.