1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Gamo Phox Tuning

Discussion in 'Technical' started by bradders, Sep 28, 2016.

1. bradders

bradders Active Member

Having no knowledge of tuning and what can and can't be done I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of what can be done in terms of tuning for the Gamo Phox.

I know Gamo own BSA and from what I can tell its looks pretty much the mechanics (I use mechanics loosely) of a BSA Ultra from seeing them in person and looking at pictures (two included below)

[​IMG][​IMG]

I've been advised there isn't a regulator in there and if i'm honest I'm not overly sure what one does and if its worth fitting one (If it can be done) and I was also wondering if it is based on an ultra can the silencer be removed (its plastic and tacky) and replaced for something similar to what you would see on the Ultra's and R10's?

I know some of you may be thinking why didn't you just buy an R10 or the Ultra and I did look at both, I didn't really care for the Ultra as the stock had a rather rough cheap plastic feel to it and the R10 was an amazing gun however I couldn't justify the cost vs how often I'd be using it (the boss also gave me that look and I can't deal with more shoes cluttering the house as way of punishment)

Truth be told I wanted a cheaper gun to play with and learn about that way if I break it or damage it I wouldn't be as p****d, also the deal I got offered for the Phox couldn't be turned down, Gun, 3 ltr Bottle, Hawke Vantage 4-16×50 AO MIL DOT IR, Bag (all of which were brand new) and two tins of pellets for £480 (with springer trade in that was nothing special)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  2. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Why do you want it tuning?

Tbh the only thing I'd be tempted to address is the trigger in an effort to do something about the horribly creepy 2nd stage these usually have - I believe you can get a drop in kit to improve them.

Other than that I really wouldn't chuck any more money at it - similarities with the Ultra are just that (no parts other than the mag are interchangeable IIRC), end of the day it's a cheap, basic gun and any money spent on improving it will be lost when you come to sell it.

Other than the trigger I'd advise you save your money towards something better :)

Tim_B likes this.
  3. bradders

bradders Active Member

The trigger seems fine to what i have noticed, I haven't really noticed a second stage as the travel isn't that far.

In terms of the tuning I just wondered what are the benefits of a reg and should I fit one (If I can) and literally is there anything that can be done about the plastic silencer. Don't get me wrong I'm not looking to throw ££££'s at it just a few things to make it mine if that makes sense.

Other than that it does what it was intended to.

4. Patrick

Patrick Donator

If it's shooting accurately and reliably i'd leave well alone,remember that old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it".The silencer unlike the ones fitted to the R10, Scorpian and Ultra is not a screw on type and though it could be removed you'll not be able to replace it with a screw on type unless you have the barrel end threaded assuming it's the correct diameter other than that it would mean using an adaptor to take a threaded silencer.Fitting a regulator,even if it's possible, may improve the sot count a little but probably little else but in view of the cost it probably isn't worth doing.I've got an R10,a Scorpian and an Ultra and though the R10 is regulated and the other two aren't there's no perceivable difference,if any at all, in accuracy between them.
    As far as i know a regulator it supposed to improve shot to shot consistency i.e less variation in muzzle velocity;this in theory should improve accuracy but i haven't noticed it with my 3 guns and it should improve the shot count slightly.
    Some people spend a small fortune on having their gun customised and tuned and if that's what they want that's fine,it's their gun and their money but in all honesty i doubt if it actually makes the gun shoot significantly better,assuming it was functioning properly to start with.I think it's more psychological and how the finished article looks and feels as much as anything if you've got a gun that looks and feels exactly how you'd like it,you're bound to shoot it better.Remember it's the Indian just as much as the arrow( to quote Lee Trevino).

5. Funky Diver

Funky Diver Donator

There was a chap on here that fitted the bottle brush depinger mod to his Phox.

6. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Can a blast tamer be fitted?

7. bradders

bradders Active Member

I was just testing the water to see what's what really as I have no clue, I'd rather be told not to bother because its only a cheap gun etc etc than go into a shop and be taken for a ride.

It's not like I've gone for a target shooting gun, I've had it for pest control although for a .22 its accurate and consistent and I can get a good 80-90 shots before it needs a bit of juice so overall its a decent shout.

I've already spoken to a few companies about hydro-dipping the stock and my main question was about that plastic mod/silencer so yours right about it being psychological lol.

8. bradders

bradders Active Member

I have no idea what either of those are lol!

9. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Cool - sounds like you've got the right idea tbh. As previously stated IMO it's certainly not worth chucking a load of money at - if you can't identify any areas you consider lacking then I really wouldn't bother.

No luck on the mod front I'm afraid - one delightful attribute of this rifle is that the plastic mods are molded on and not intended to be removed. If you do find the will to hack it off, you'll be left with something like this:

[​IMG]

.. which is no use to man nor beast. You could replace the barrel with a threaded item, but that's £77 plus the mod (and fitting if you can't do it yourself). In addition, if this barrel groups well I'd be inclined to keep it since BSA barrel quality appears to be extremely ropey atm - and I doubt they feel inclined to put their "better" barrels on their cheapest guns.

The "de-pinger" goes in the air cylinder and is intended to prevent resonant noise, however if it pings it'll most likely be due to the striker spring. The blast tamer cuts hammer bounce (and hence reduces noise and air usage) but to the best of my knowledge won't fit.

Leave it as it is, chuck all your spare pennies in a safe place and when you have enough get shot of this and put the money towards something better ;)

10. bradders

bradders Active Member

I figured as much, in all fairness I'll be applying for my FAC in the next year (once my mortgage has cleared and I have the necessary safety precautions in place) so I'll be going for either a .22 Rimfire or possibly a maxed out R10. In terms of pings its not overly loud, its more of a thud than a ping.

I think I'll be leaving the mod where it is then, I don't like the idea of having an air rifle what looks like its designed to fire up a boiler :D

I think I'll stick with hydro-dipping just to get away from that dull synthetic vibe although knowing me it will be something ridiculous and possibly look at modding a bipod onto it although i know there is drilling work required on the stock which worries me a little.

11. slingshot

slingshot Engaging Member

Hi cloverleaf
    did you manage to get the spline bit off the end of the barrel looks like it is held in place with a spring washer ?

12. Gazz81

Gazz81 Donator

As everyone else has said, take it for what it is. I own a Coyote and although it shoots very well, the trigger is crap and it is lumpy!
    I won't be modding mine, although I may stick in a Charlie Da Tuna trigger if I have a few quid floating around and I did change the stock, but if I ever feel that I need something more I'll get a High end pcp, but that won't be any time soon!

[​IMG]

13. slingshot

slingshot Engaging Member

I have had a little fettle with my trigger "OH matron " and it's sweet.
    a bit of a polish and adjusted, it has very little creep and a nice predictable let off, granted it is never going to be THE BEST trigger.
    but the gun is a steel for what it is, reliable tough and extremely accurate thanks to the BSA choked barrel, mine isn't pellet fussy either which is handy if the local RFD doesn't have my preferred pellet in stock when I run out.
    the silencer / moderator that is fitted does a very good job, granted its not the best looking but personally I will take functionality over aesthetics.
    I just envisage the day I climb over a gate trip over a rat drop the gun and the silencer snaps off.

14. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Busy Member

What trigger mod is recommended for these then?

15. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Go on Youtube and type in Gamo CAT trigger.

16. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky Life in the slow lane

You can change the length of the trigger adjustment screw which helps a lot with fell and also polish the sears/latch which will also improve the feel of the trigger, fitting a SSG device will eliminate hammer bounce and increase your shot count markedly, but it wiill require either shortening or changing the hammer spring, also fitting a reg will also help, my Coyote (same gun) is a much nicer gun with all those mods, and very accurate and consistent.

17. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Busy Member

Is the bonus of fitting a regulator more consistent shots?
    is that easy to do?

18. Gazz81

Gazz81 Donator

They are pretty consistent out of the box, if it's shooting fine as it is, I wouldn't touch it. Definitely do the trigger mod though, takes seconds to change the 2nd stage adjustment screw and by god does it make a difference.

charlie1969 likes this.
  19. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky Life in the slow lane

IMO the biggest gain would be to fit an SSG, this will make the fps more consistent and give more shots because its no longer wasting air through hammer bounce, however it is the most difficult to do.
    A regulator will give more shots and improve consistent fps to a degree.

20. Patrick

Patrick Donator

It should do but i don't thick it'll make much difference, if any,to accuracy but it'll probably give you a higher shot count assuming one can be fitted but only then if you're familiar and experienced with working on pcps as they have to be set up.so you'll probably have to get a gunsmith or someone experienced to do it so the cost may out weigh any possible advantage.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017