1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Gamo Elite Maxxim Review. Not Your Usual Internet Review.

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by Maurici, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Maurici

Maurici Well-Known Member

Before starting, you may realise that my mother tongue is not English… and despite I will do my best to write correctly, you may find that some sentences will hurt a bit when reading if you come from an Oxford background… hopefully most of the readers will oversee this.

Well then. I owned this gun for some months now, and already shoot down this barrel over 3000 pellets at the beginning of this review… probably will go for 4000 or 5000 shoots when finished. So my intention is to give you a review of what you will find owning the thing, rather than the internet HIPE review of “woooaaaa is super cool 10x repeater” and then judging the accuracy of the thing after shooting about 100 pellets and not getting even used to her.

First a bit about me, so you understand where I’m coming from. I don’t know a damn thing about Guns. I’m a user. A very novice one. I’ve owned an air rifle since I was a kid, 30something years ago. I had a COMETA, and a GAMO. Very old machines. Both were from my grand grand father, and I’m pretty sure they date from the early 40 (the cometa) and somewhere around the 50’s (the gamo). Never been soo fussed about how the shoot, the power, the accuracy, the pellet it liked… nothing, I was buying the pellets in my multy store shop in my small town, and they were good enough to hit coke cans hanging in a tree at the end of the garden… maybe 8/9 meters or so.

Then I moved out my parents’ house and I was like 15 years without shooting a single shoot, until actually having a nice garden where to shoot and buying a gun for myself. This was the Gamo Elite Maxxim and here we start the review.

So, to don’t repeat the “technical brochure” found in internet, I think we can just lightly walk over the kit itself… Full size gun, just under 12lbft, comes with a scope and a 10 shoots magazine with a very clever design, and the gun looks COOL AS ****, YES, as it sounds. First disappointing bit, As I’m old school, was sad to discover that I can’t use open iron sights in this gun, as the replay mechanism kinda ruins any possibility.

Early weeks of ownership.

They say all the guns are a bit like a lady. Temperamental, sensible, and need to be treated right. I would disagree with that saying as I’m lucky enough to shoot some very posh machinery in my club, and the posh and good machinery works out of the box. No matter if you are sensible, or how you hold it. This is not the case of the Maxxim. She is special, and needs to know you, and you need to know her to actually do any good shooting.

During the first weeks, you will likely loose (and maybe damage) the scope. It fell out of the gun twice, so, be sure you assemble it tight, and you tighten it every few rounds. The same happens with the stock bolts… check them over and over again. They go loose until all settles in. I had some frustrating first weeks with flyers all around the target till all was settled. If you add to the equation that you will be trying some different pellets to find the ones it likes, adjusting the trigger, zeroing the scope every time it comes loose and discovering the right hold for the gun, you may feel that hitting the paper at 20 yards feels extremely difficult. Its ok, you will be fine after a few hundreds of rounds. Before... don't be scared if your best group looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The trigger

After having dealt with all the “first date” stuff with her, next thing you will want to do will be to have a play with the trigger. It’s a fully two stage adjustable. You can’t adjust the weight, but you can play with travel in the first and second stage. To be honest, being the only gun I shoot that I’ve been able to adjust it to my taste, I find it brilliant. (Even better than some PCP posh guns I use in the club) but this is not because is that good, is because is adjusted to my taste. So, having little to compare, but not being the only gun I shoot regularly, I think will be just fine for most users.

The Scope

By far, one of the most controversial parts of this kit. Some say is brilliant for the money of the kit, some say that is useless and must be binned straight away. So… what should you do?

Well. In my short round trough internet, I’ve discovered that scopes, dioptric sights, red dots, irons… are a VERY personal thing. Is also one of the easiest things to change an play around in the gun, swap it from one to the other, exchange with mates to try… so it ends being like an Android Vs Iphone competition and high end Vs budget phone. Therefore is easy to find a very well respected and knowledgeable users will have a very strong opinion against a particular scope that most of internet loves… or the other way around. A scope that is globally hated is being elevated to a divine status by some users just because it suits them. Therefore, discard any opinion. Don’t bin the scope and give it a go. I’ve found it correct. Once all is settled, it holds the zero and despite the lack of parallax, you will be fine at short ranges with low magnification, and you will be able to go full beans at about 18 yards and further. It has a decent amount of light going in (I shoot in the dark of my garden only with a small headlight focusing the target and is fine), and I’ve used some –so called- precision equipment, with far worst optical quality, so… It will definitely do the job. You may not like it, but isn’t definitely a bit to bin.

Be patient with the one piece mounting scope that comes with the gun. It needs time to settle and being retightened a few times before being solid and holding the zero correctly.

Accuracy 1.

Well. To actually be able to judge it, you will have to go through the tedious process of retightening stuff, deal with inexplicable flyers, getting to know the hold, and finding the right pellet for her... so again, bin most of the accuracy tests around internet and youtube. They are just unreliable, and most of them with test guns, not with actually owned and know guns. This gun can do MUCH better than any results you will see around youtube.

Accuracy 1.1. The right pellet

Well. That is when the internet becomes Handy. Despite the gun will shoot just fine with the world acclaimed JSB exact, the gun likes posh lead free light pellets. By far, the best results I’ve found have been with H&N target green trophy. People hates them… because they are different (lead free), they are light (and they seem that won’t even go through the paper) and they are expensive. But, hey… JSB were shooting in about ¾ (approx. 2 cm ) of an inch between centres… and with the H&N superposh the groups are about 0.4 inches (approx. 1cm). Your call, but if you are going to shoot targets, you want the H&N Green… light and lead free ones. They are quite noisy too, because you will have higher speeds and the air at this speeds starts to whistle. Still not supersonic speeds, so don’t be worry. I’ve tried quite a few pellets over the last month, but it only liked two of them, and are the ones I name here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

H&N Target Trophy Green

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Accuracy 1.2. Hold her right

If you are an experienced shooter, or if you know something about springers and gas ram power plants, you will know that this things recoil’s is a big deal, and you have to go through the artillery hold method, hold it very loose, let it float and recoil back…

Well this won’t work with the maxxim. Despite she is SUPER HOLD SENSITIVE, She wants to be hold tight. Butt against your shoulder, decent grip around the trigger, and your cheek controlling the elevation, would do the trick. Haven’t found a difference between resting or gripping the front of the stock. I normally shoot from the bench, and I rest it straight to a soft bag with a very stiff and controlled hold in the butt, with my free hand controlling the elevation from the back. This works quite well. You will need to find your own, but definitely she won’t work loose.
    [​IMG]

Accuracy 1.3 Verdict

Once you control the gun, you are able of 0.4 inches (1cm) groups at 25 meters. That is not elite competition accuracy but will give you a clean kill to any game you should be trying with a pellet gun, and will be good enough to have laughter at your range upsetting some PCP owner with a bad day while you nail it with your toy-alike springer. Yes, the precision riffles I borrow from the club, are more accurate, less hold sensitive, they will often do 2 or 3 shoots in a hole even with unexperienced shooters… but for a £200 break barrel with the repeater mechanism, is just BRILLIANT. Remember, hot girls are always difficult to handle!!!

Noise

I will be short and direct here. The whisper barrel is marketing BS. That thing is as loud as any other gun, particularly with the light lead free pellets.

Reliability and build quality.

I have mixed feelings here. Despite even around internet, most of the people agree that the reliability and build quality is good, and it rarely fails… all the niggles and tightening required during the initial 200 shoots, should come sorted from factory. I come from a product design and industrialization, and in my business, this won’t be accepted. Another good thing is that gamo is not this “very hard to find spares” company anymore. Gas ram pistons, magazines, loading mechanism, barrels triggers and stocks, are readily available and very well priced too.
    Of course, we have to finish the review having a comment to the self loading mechanism... Is just amazing. Sooo cool to shoot. Very fast follow up shots, Its been NEVER jammed, and is really easy to use, so... I think the overall package is a great hunting bit, and a good entrance level to the target shooting.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. dancza

dancza Donator

Fantastic review mate and it sounds like you're definitely having fun with it which is one of the most important things when it comes to shooting. I'd love to try a Maxxim and I say well played to Gamo for trying to bring multi-shot springers back into the limelight.

Maurici likes this.
  3. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Yep for the casual shooter who just want to plink in their garden or at their local club/range and doesn't want to a huge or large sum on a gun then then it may fit the bill admirably and to be fair that is who the gun is aimed at,excuse the pun. It's not a gun that the dedicated enthusiast would buy or own or someone who shoots competitively or the dedicated hunter and people should judge it in that light.
    The self loading/repeating mechanism although it may look a bit 'heath robinson'' the fact is that in both tests of the gun in Airgun Shooter and AirGunner the mechanism functioned without a single hitch or jam.
    Whatever the guns shortcomings are and no doubt it has some whether you like Gamo or not they at least should be given some credit for be enterprising another to design a multishot system for a springer that works and apparently works well. Perhaps one day one of the other leading manufacturers will have the balls/initiative to develop a similar system.

Maurici likes this.
  4. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Nice review there @Maurici thanks for sharing. Glad I gave you the nudge you needed.
    :thumb:

Maurici likes this.
  5. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Amazing Poster

A superb write up there matey, thank you.

Maurici likes this.
  6. Maurici

And those two are dedicated to the GAMO haters...
    22.5 meters. bench rest, in absolute dark only with a torch lighting the target.
    Of course... I've shoot about ten cards... only two have been as good. but take this down to the shooter.
    Each card had TWO magazines on it... it means 20 shoots. It was shooting consistently to the left, so I moved a bit the scope to the right, hence the last one its been better.
    For a terrible choice, and rubbish gun, aint that bad... don't want to prove is the best rifle in the market. Only proove that with a bit of knowledge of the gun, you can do half nice things. That is all.
    yeah. there is a couple of fliers... in a £200 gun with a novice shooter.
    [​IMG]

Patton, ibo7 and Nubble like this.
  7. Nubble

Nubble Donator

That's alright by me Maurici.

Maurici likes this.
  8. ibo7

ibo7 Big Poster

Great review and nice to read from your unorthodox point of view!

Maurici likes this.
  9. QuoVadis69

QuoVadis69 Donator

Nice honest write up - I've always thought the design quite intriguing. :up:

Maurici likes this.
  10. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Replica Airgun Enthusiast

Good write up. It's nice to see people put some effort into it. :thumb:

Maurici likes this.
  11. pjgtech

pjgtech Sleep, eat, work, eat, chillout, sleep, repeat.

Thanx for the write up, interesting read, keep it up... :thumb:

Maurici likes this.
  12. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Nice write up and good to see someone else working the so called "bottom end" of the market. Some people knock budget gear, but I started out with the cheapest new rifle you could buy. I have had rifles made by top makers since, but I have owned everything from a Westlake to a Daystate. Gamo are an interesting bunch. Their PCP rifles are basically a BSA with a Gamo Smooth Action Trigger (SAT), which is what I believe is on your gun.

Not as fine as the BSA match trigger, but once you get it set right it is not a bad trigger (hell Theoben used to use Gamo triggers). The accuracy of the gun cannot be doubted and once you have found the right pellet then as you have proven, it can shoot straight!

People will always knock Gamo, then rush out and buy a Weihrauch, that when they get it home needs a tuning kit, possibly even professional tuning! Add the tuning cost and the cost of the kit together and it is almost as much as your gun, they have to get it done so it can shoot as well as your rifle does out of the box!

Maurici likes this.
  13. Maurici

Cheers guys! i'm glad you like the writting.
    Is easy to make it entretainig when you are having fun!

14. Maurici

And as more as I learn about this shooting thing... (don't forget I'm a novice) More things I can say about the rifle, unfortunatelly not all of them good.

As I already told in the review, the gun is super hold sensitive. I didn't realise how much. So despite I still consider it a great tool for starters, plinking and bench rest (and I dont want that to sound that I'm re-writing my review) This is definitely not your gun if you want to learn to shoot standing rather than bench rest.

This last week I've been shooting quite a lot Sporting rifle .22 with live amunition at 20 yards with open sights in standing position.
    Something that I've already tried with the maxxim with not much success. I was hitting the target, but I was barely being able to predict where the pellet would be going.
    With the sporting rifle I'm consistenly shooting in the black circle of the target averaging 8/7 shoots. I do sometimes hit the bullsize but is not the matter, the thing is that the group, despite quite wide, is consistent. It is NOT the case with the maxxim and Im not seeing myself doing it any better, at least not with my current skills. So... flaws of the gun... A big remark in huge holding sensitivity. That much that a novice with half good aim will feel discouraged if he tryes from standing position. It may not be relevant for plinkers, you will still hit the can, and probably the rat if you have to... but not the best tool for learning to shoot standing.

Another thing I've realised is how expensive is to shoot with the target greens. I've shoot this week 200 rounds of live club quality .22 ammunition for the cost of 18 pounds. A tin of target trophy green, will come at the exact same price. I was aware already how expensive was against shooting with JSB's or any other lead brand, but I've never though was going to be almost cheaper to shoot with .22 live amunition. I think is not reasonable, when you see other guns in youtube reviews doing the same results with som standart JSB exact.

Then... is the gun really accurate from the bench with the target trophy greens? YES definitely it is and the results are a few posts above.
    Is it worth it?? well that is a comletely different matter... from my calculation. after 10000 rounds, you would have save money enough to buy a better gun.

I still think is a great toy to start with As I say in the original review, but my learning curve now is hughe. As more I learn and discover, as more opinion I will have. But from my current position, despite all its flaws, I still think is a great starter thing. The replay mechanism, is what keeps me shooting more and more, as is sooooo easy to make 100 rounds sesions compared with a normal springer gun right now... and one of the important things for a starter, to have it bitten by the hobby is to have fun, and in this department, the maxxim is still unbeatable

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  15. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Keep at it Maurici. We are all learning. And you are still enjoying the learning process. Good to hear.

Dare I say........ maybe start saving up for another gun that likes cheaper pellets? :p

Have fun.

16. Vangard

Vangard Busy Member

Great review mate I enjoyed reading it, its a shame your gun only likes expensive pellets but maybe thats the trade off with the price.

17. Maurici

Hahaha. Already in the process. The missus is messing quite a lot with the gun now, so will be easy to justify to have the plinker and the serious target shooting one. XD.
    The problem is more about WHAT?? (Already started a topic asking for the ultimate springer)... it appears however that there is not an straight answer to that. Will take a few good months to form an educated opinion. No rush. I have to be signed off in all shooting modalities in the range (well I dont have but i want) so i will be entertained enough by the moment. When that is over, sadly i will have to part with cash with who knows what...

Walther... AA tx... HW77/87/88... will see.

rabbitwrecker and Nubble like this.
  18. Nubble

Nubble Donator

Only time will tell. Good luck on your quest. May it be an enjoyable one.

19. pbrown

pbrown Very Active

Exactly why I wouldn't recommend the Gamo Elite Maxim rifle to a new shooter, after 6 weeks you've realised you need something better. The £200+ spent on the Gamo would have been better spent from day one on something of better quality.

Buying a Gamo Elite Maxxim is a false economy, it'll end up costing you more money in the long run.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    rabbitwrecker likes this.
  20. Vangard

Vangard Busy Member

Buy a HW97 kt in .22 great gun:thumb: