1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Gamo Compact Leak

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Clive Jones, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Clive Jones

Clive Jones Member

Hi guys, I have a Gamo Compact which has started leaking - I.e. I can break it to extend the piston rod but when I compress the action I can hear air leaking out sufficiently that when I immediately pull the trigger, there is no “pop” at all. I have dismantled it down and had the cylinder unit and valve out of the gun and on inspection the valve O-rings all look OK, not torn at all.
    I have ordered and received a valve unit, but it was a different size “nose” and could not be inserted into the valve housing - apparently there have been a few redesigns over the years (my pistol must be 20 years plus old).
    If I put some upward pressure on the base of the valve (the part that gets pulled down to fire the gun)the cylinder seems to hold its pressure when I compress the cylinder rod against the workshop table. Pulling the valve then let’s the air out the breech part of the valve with a satisfying pop.
    With this in mind, it looks like my problem is the nose O ring not seating in it’s housing, only making a good seal when it is pressed home.
    Has anyone else had this problem and what is the cure?
    Thanks in anticipation,
    Clive.

2. Suffolk Sniper

Suffolk Sniper I’d Rather Be Golfin’

Seems we are in the same boat @Clive Jones, I will be stripping mine down again soon to look at the size of the main piston o ring, I know @Blackmax has repaired one of these hopefully he will be along to put his comments up here, I changed all the o rings on the valve but I still had a leak, as you say when the piston was compressed the air could be heard escaping. I was told to pump it to improve the piston seal and to lubricate the piston also to improve the piston seal. Put oil in the little air hole in the cylinder casing. This did work but I will change the o ring as mine is also 20 years old,

3. Clive Jones

Clive Jones Member

Hi Suffolk Sniper, yes, we are in the same boat, a leaky one!
    Although my own Compact seems to be leaking from the breech outlet of the valve block - not the piston seal. I have done the one/two drops of oil down the intake hole on top of the cylinder and this has had no effect on the leak.
    I am now a dab hand at stripping the cylinder out and can do it in less than five minutes. :)
    Please let me know how you get on.

4. Blackmax

Blackmax Forum Rude Guy

Hi guys, I spent hours fixing the one I worked on. I could never get a replacement trigger valve as they were no longer available, I tried O rings of different sizes but could never get the right seal.

I rebuilt the piston with parts I made on my lathe but there was nothing I could do with the trigger valve due to the unique moulding.

I bought a second donor rifle but again it had the same fault and I was no further forward.

Regarding lubricating the piston seals use motorcycle fork fluid, the most viscous.

PhatMan likes this.
  5. Clive Jones

Clive Jones Member

Hi Blackmax
    That is interesting. Did you use random o -rings that you bought/had in workshop or did you buy a Gamo replacement pack (about £8.00 for the four seals) from a supplier.
    The supplier that I bought the valve off suggested I return the valve and purchase a Gamo o-ring replacement kit that they also sell - I obviously do not want to again purchase something if that something does not work..
    Clive.

6. PhatMan

PhatMan Keyboard Hero

Clive,

+1 on the motorcycle fork oil :)

I use Fuchs Silkolene 30 weight synthetic.

Put five (5) drops down the transfer port.

Open pistol halfway (to cock trigger), close and pull trigger. Repeat ten (10) times.

Leave pistol overnight, then try a full shot-cycle in the morning.

You can get to the valve externals by removing the right-hand grip, and then (carefully) the plate that covers the trigger pivots - lube the valve rod from outside (you will see it it sitting vertically).

Have fun & a good weekend :)

Best regards

Russ

7. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky Life in the slow lane

I just replaced the main piston seal when mine did the same...they go hard with use.

8. Suffolk Sniper

Was yours a piston seal attached to the front of the piston or an o ring set up behind the front of the piston, ours are both the older o ring type from 20+ years ago

9. Clive Jones

Clive Jones Member

All good advice, thank you guys.
    I have a small dropper bottle of "gun oil" (the paper that carried the type of oil has long since perished away from the bottle) that I bought from Keens in Aberkenfig many years ago that I used down the cyl intake port and this made no diffence. The leak seems to be from the valve nose o-ring (and 20201113_111520.jpg not the piston seal) as when I depress the cylinder rod of the removed from gun cylinder against the worktop to pressurise the cylinder, the leak is from the breech port of the valve housing.

The photo shows new valve (the one that does not fit) below current valve.
    Clive.

10. Suffolk Sniper

I use Fuchs Silkolene 30 weight synthetic.

Is this the one @PhatMan ?

7548DFE3-72A9-498C-A602-D91B6469DA33.jpeg

Blackmax likes this.
  11. PhatMan

PhatMan Keyboard Hero

Suffolk Sniper,

Yup - thats the stuff :)

Best regards

Russ

Blackmax likes this.
  12. Suffolk Sniper

Ok so I’ve just stripped my Compact down again and these pics show exactly what I am working with

Firstly the valve which has to my surprise three o rings fitted, I must admit it was only when I saw @Clive Jones valve I noticed the third o ring its green colour between two brass bits on mine, and with the new o ring fitted :facepalm: the full valve unit. I notice that Clive's valve has an o ring above the brass collar where the spring sits mine doesn’t have one here and never has ?

71A5367A-610F-4B06-B9BB-B85510247DB5.jpeg Original C4D30028-69FA-471B-96F9-48843ED359A9.jpeg Full Valve 3541A1D0-E217-41B7-BC94-BC58785F3479.jpeg New 3rd O Ring Fitted

Here we have the piston with O Ring seal and a white plastic guide of some kind, this has a cut in it probably to make installation easier

40C46FA9-81D1-4316-BF68-7E32F9E79E70.jpeg Full Piston. 402A3D90-BF1E-43E5-B623-C2566AA26A3E.jpeg Close up. 849828CD-B8C5-43CD-A873-9C06B89EA15D.jpeg O ring and guide washer

356F054E-4126-4FB1-B33E-20847DE2B266.jpeg Stripped down piston. CEC493F0-8030-4EB6-9972-2DEB9E4FB074.jpeg O ring and piston details

I have also replaced the breech seal rubber as well (No pics of that as its so straight forward) And the larger o ring where the piston cylinder meets the valve body.

There’s not much more to these pistols than this really apart from correct lubrication which hopefully @Blackmax and @PhatMan have sorted out for us.

I will now try to find a replacement piston seal o ring @Blackmax you mentionEd an NB70 nitrile material is that better / more hard wearing than a general rubber one.

13. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky Life in the slow lane

Yes seal attached to the front of the piston...thought that was the older type.

14. Clive Jones

Clive Jones Member

Yes, there are two seals either side of the brass spacer. I cannot say that these are original parts as I bought the gun secondhand 15-20 years ago or so but it fired well until a few years ago, so they did work.
    There is also the nose seal and the bottom valve seal.

On the new non-fitting valve there are the nose, base and one seal between the plastic(?) spacer and the brass valve threaded body. This seals the gap between the valve pushrod and the brass body in my estimation.

15. Suffolk Sniper

I bought mine sometime in the mid 90’s cant pinpoint when exactly but as you can see from the pics above an o ring seal

16. Blackmax

Blackmax Forum Rude Guy

17. Blackmax

Blackmax Forum Rude Guy

Sorry Clive, I got a bit confused in my old age. Yes I’ve fixed a number of Gamo compacts successfully, I got my own supply of O rings.

Initally I thought you were referring to the Gamo MC Super which I never managed to fix due to the unavailability of the trigger valve.

I used Silkolene on the piston O ring no failures! :thumb:

PhatMan likes this.
  18. Clive Jones

Clive Jones Member

Hi Blackmax,
    That is great news.
    Have you any input on to why I can seal the valve by pressing it home against the seat but if I then release (fire) it and compress the cylinder again without pressing on the valve the air escapes through the breech seal. This is with the cylinder off the gun.

19. Clive Jones

Clive Jones Member

Blackmax, as an addendum to the above, is there any difference in the seals that you have put in the older Gamo Compacts, to the newer ones? We know the actual valve bodies (the metal parts) are different.
    Clive.

20. PhatMan

PhatMan Keyboard Hero

Clive,

With the cylinder off the pistol, does the valve stem move freely up and down ?

The valve spring is supposed to hold the valve closed during the cocking cycle, and the hammer then knocks this open when you pull the trigger - so the default position is valve closed.

If you remove the valve, can you shine a torch in to have a peek at the valve seat ?

Best regards

Russ