1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Gamo Cf30, The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Stockscrew, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Stockscrew

Stockscrew Engaging Member

A good while ago I bought an old Cf30, having done nothing with it in months and being stuck at home with not much to do, I dug it out to see what's what. I always fancied a 177 Cf20 purely on looks, the 30 is slightly longer with the forend extended to cover the u lever hinge. Initially it was bl**dy awful with a cocking stroke that ground and resembled a tin of rusty nails being shook .
    Once it was apart, the spring had a nice bend in it and the piston seal did not look up to much. A new quality seal on the piston and an old spring that was the right size as replacements, after a good polish, some moly grease it was ready for the acid test.
    The cocking stroke was smooth but the trigger absolute crap, that was sorted with a small washer on the trigger axis pin and it made an massive difference to the pull. I found this dodge on You Tube, so simple and cheap.
    With that done, testing began, the firing cycle had become smooth with little recoil and no diesel smoke. Its quite accurate with Gamo Prohunter pellets but there may be something better yet to be found.
    Considering the reviews Gamo get and looking at the pros and cons, it could be said it's not an ugly gun, it's not bad either so that can only leave good or in this case better than it was. Knowing what it was like when I got it and how a simple tune has transformed it I am quite amazed why they were not popular, even some expensive springers are dogs until they have had a tune
    Power wise, up to hunting velocities and quite capable of producing reasonable groups at FT ranges.
    I know there will be dissenters post comments about how crap Gamo are but I can only speak as I find and quite honestly I am glad I took the trouble to persevere with it.

sidney, talent and dancza like this.
  2. dancza

dancza Donator

A good Gamo even when using Gamo pellets?! It's all lies!!

I'm glad to hear it shoots well mate and that you're enjoying it. Regarding those triggers odds are it's a similar unit as to what is found on our XS19's and to be fair with some mild tweaking they can be really quite good. A good pal of mine @Bobbyc did the ball bearing tune on his Remington Tyrant (XS19) and it was superb.

3. Stockscrew

There's a video on You Tube from 2012, Crosman/Gamo trigger fix. There's a link to it but I cannot get it to open. It shows how to insert a washer inside the trigger and believe me it transforms the pull. Different size washers slightly different pull. Have a look!

4. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

I had a CF20 years ago, same gun but with basic stock & sights before glowing oness came out.
    I couldn't get on with it & flogged it for a Fenman, smart move but I kind of wish I'd kept it for a project gun.

5. Stockscrew

That's exactly where I am with the one I have, a project gun.
    After I tuned it up the let down was the awful trigger and I can see why so many shooters consider some Gamo models crap, however I remember seeing the You Tube video years ago so I found it and followed it. The single washer transforms the trigger from rubbish to excellent, after a bit of fiddling with the only adjustment screw on the trigger it turned it into something I would be glad to find on an expensive PC rifle. Now I have a project where the trigger is sorted to 2 stage with a nice crisp break, the power is up to where I want it, the cocking action is moderately easy so all that's left is to do is a bit more work on the tune up to make it even smoother, re finish the beech stock and find the most accurate pellet for it. £50 well spent, something to while away the boredom of the current isolation policy and two fingers up to all the Cf30 dissenters.

6. rich79

I see alot of really rough ones for sale when Bisley has an arms fair, the guy selling them must buy them from the cadet forces as they have Tip-Ex I.D numbers on the butts.
    Ive toyed with getting another for £20-£30 but I always end up thinking I can get a rough HW for not much more.
    Maybe when thus virus clears up & there's another fair I'll pick one up & give it a try.

7. Stockscrew

8. rich79

Cometa air rifles are worth a fiddle with & not expensive secondhand.

talent likes this.
  9. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I've got a Gamo CFX Royal which i bought new for £150 as the rotary breech design simply appealed to me and i thought it would be interesting to see how it shoots. Haven't done anything to it except put a bit of moly grease on the spring through the cocking slot and a couple of drops of lube to the wall of the cylinder. It cocks very smoothly with no noise and there's no spring twang on firing and while accuracy wise it doesn't compare with my BSA pcps it good enough out to about 25 yards with the right pellet.
    It's got the later SAT trigger which is an improvement on the earlier type but it can be improved further with a slightly longer adjusting screw which is what i did.
    With a strip down and a proper tune i'm sure the gun could be improved even further.
    On the plus side the gun has a decent beech stock, a nice scope rail to mount a scope on, the overall finish isn't bad and as a general plinking gun it's not a bad buy for £150.
    Could possibly be a gun for a youngster as it has a safety catch,an ABT which can easily be removed if you so wish and with the rotary breech no risk of any trapped or injured fingers in the case of mechanical failure if one doesn't follow the correct loading procedure.
    A HW77/97 or TX200 it is not but at a about a third of the price it would be ridiculous to make such a comparison and if you're into serious shooting such as FT/HFT or hunting at longer range then then it's not the gun for you but for shorter range vermin control or plinking/informal target shooting it's not a bad buy and is probably one of the better Gamo models.

talent likes this.
  10. Stockscrew

Tell me about them? I have a 400 Fennix in 177. Power wise it's up around 11+fpe, it's relatively easy to cock and it's got a very nice trigger. I have not yet found a pellet that will produce a good group but then that may be down to me as I find the firing cycle is quite harsh with some recoil that I have yet to come to terms with, however, I will persevere with it. I cannot understand why they are not more popular as the 400 is a good looking gun.
    There must be many forgotten but not gone guns out there that are worthy of resurrecting, only problem may be finding the time to work on them as it could conflict with shooting time.

11. Patrick

Patrick Donator

For those that have the earlier Gamo trigger which is a generic trigger that is also found on some of the other chinese manufactured air rifles as well as the mod the OP mentioned along with a slightly longer trigger adjusting screw Welsh Willy(Woodfield Gun Co) does a machined aluminium modified trigger blade for that trigger and there's a video on his website showing how to install it.

12. Stockscrew

In practicality what does a HW or TX consist of, they have a tube in which runs a spring powered piston which forces the air and pellet up and out of the barrel at a decent rate of knots, no different from any springer on the market. Throw into it a decent trigger, possibly a top quality barrel and an up market stock and you have a top notch gun. In comparison, a cheaper model consists of the same tube/piston arrangement with other lower grade attachments making it cheaper to produce.
    If all the lower grade attachments are modified, replaced, fettled, whatever to produce similar performance to those on a HW or TX you would have a gun equal in performance. Some of the cheaper guns have really decent barrels and triggers that can be massively improved without too much work so it is not an impossible task. When you have done all this you still have a cheaper gun that most shooters will turn their noses up at because it is not a HW or TX. But then I ask does it really matter that its's not top grade, it's doing exactly what the top grade guns do and it's given me hours of pleasure in carrying out the mods and the satisfaction in knowing that when I am sat by the guy at the plinking bench with the fancy top dog of springers my cheapo will do exactly what his gun does.

13. Stockscrew

I believe there were 2 types of trigger used on Gamos and their clones. The video I posted relates to the earlier metal trigger and is well worth doing if you have the metal trigger gun. I used a steel washer about 5/16" dia which transformed the trigger pull, apparently different size washers can be used for different effect. Charlie Da Tuna does a replacement trigger at over £20, the washer job is less than pence.
    The longer adjusting screw is also subject to a You Tube video and is used only on the plastic type trigger which came after the metal one.

14. Patrick

Patrick Donator

The Charlie Da Tuna triggers he doesn't export to this country anymore i believe if you check on his website but the WelshWilly one is similar. Some people use a small bearing in the trigger blade that you can buy from model shops ,I think it's an 8mm dia one that's used. The longer adjusting screw was used on the metal trigger variant but it wasn't so effective as on the SAT trigger(plastic trigger) a 3mmx10mm screw was used on the earlier metal trigger which is the same or virtually the same trigger as used on the Hatsan Striker and Hatsan 900x.The later plastic trigger took a 2.5 mm adjusting screw and you have to be careful if you use a longer screw because if adjusted in too much it becomes unsafe. In fact if using a 10mm long screw on the later trigger you can adjust it to the extent where the sears won't even engage.I know because i've replaced the screw on my CFX and if you screw it full in the sears won't engage and you have to unscrew it about 3 turns before you get a safe and reliable engagement,that's assuming you're using a 10mm long screw.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  15. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Busy Member

The first gun I bought for my wife was a cf30 she shot it lots but it wasn’t that accurate so after about a year I got a scrap cf 20 then swapped barrels bushed the port to take the 177 polished the insides made a spring guide etc then it shot amazingly good and quite accurate we were well pleased.

16. Stockscrew

The trigger on my Cf30 was fitted with a 5/16 " washer as the video. It improved the pull well beyond expectation and after winding out the adjusting screw 2 turns it got even better. It's hard to believe a small washer could make such a transformation to such a God awful trigger but as it has I am over the moon with it!

17. rmwesley

rmwesley Engaging Member

I fixed up a CF-16 a while back and it turned out pretty well. I put a CdT trigger in it plus replaced the plastic breech and transfer port with some machined brass parts. There are a load of pics of the build in this Flickr album if you’re interested.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskWvX8pc

Stockscrew and rabbitwrecker like this.
  18. Stockscrew

From the photos you didn't just fix it you did a major rebuild with bespoke replacement parts. A very nice job!
    Out of interest, how did it perform once it was back together and firing?

19. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Major Poster

These have the pop-up breech don't they ?...

20. rmwesley

rmwesley Engaging Member

Being totally honest, I’m not 100% sure :D To my very untrained ear and feel it seems smooth to cock and fire but I haven’t got a stack load of experience of other springers to compare it to. I took it up to Bisley and a few of the regulars said it passed muster nicely so I’ll take that. It is very accurate though and puts out about 5 ft.lbs.

It was my childhood gun and it was a load of fun doing a bit of restoration after it had been sitting in the loft for probably 35 years.