1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

gamekeeping apprenticeship needed

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by AirArms456, Mar 2, 2014.

1. AirArms456

AirArms456 Junior Member

Just wondered if anyone knows of anyone willing to train an apprentice in the art of gamekeeping, either in Lancashire or in the Colchester region

Thanks

Isaac

2. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    not familier with the area isaac, but good luck in your search. have you tried google, local papers or even asking around locally ?

3. fletchisbored

fletchisbored Engaging Member

Hhhhhmmmmm is 40 told old to be an apprentice I quite fancy the idea of game keeping, well maybe just in the summer anyway :)

4. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

Perhaps letters of enquiry to all the head Keepers on all of your local estates may a good start,there may be an NVQ for it these days,there are for most things.
    Best of luck with your search.
    Regards,Stu

5. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

http://www.gamekeeperstrust.org.uk/ Try this for some pointers in the right direction. Atb. Bob

6. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  7. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

There was some information in the last edition of BASC magazine that related to young gamekeepers if you can get hold of a copy?

I'd send you mine but I used it as a pellet stop (no argos mags available)

8. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

9. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I've got about 15 Argos books in the shed, but I suppose the postage would be a killer:D:D

10. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

Yet another one that may be of help, http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/208505-gamekeeping-estate-courses/ The local job center may be able to help, putting pen to paper and contacting local estate managers and game keepers, offering to help as a beater etc, could help to get your foot on the ladder. Atb with your quest, if you have the passion and determination, you will get there. It is a hard life, but a good life. Bob.

11. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

I bought a funnel pellet trap but blew the bottom off it after 6 pellets (bad weld) at least the seller gave me a refund, just got to weld it properly now! ;)

12. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

I used to use a funnel trap, all the lead collected in a bucket for a mate for fishing weights.

It was the noise for the neighbors that concerned me, as the traps make to much noise. Argos books are pretty silent and free:)

13. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

I was offered a position 30 odd years ago by the farmer of the permission I shot on, the game keeper was retiring and a position would be open. The pay was low but there was a cottage/land rover and bills included. I would have had to complete an Agricultural and Fisheries course at the local college but that would have been no hardship. I didn't take it as my live in girlfriend (now my wife) didn't want to be cut off from friends and city life.... Cut off, this place was in Newton St Loe near Bath... So my heart ruled my head and turned it down... If my advice is any good, talk to your local farmers, they will be able to put you in the right direction.

14. r10hunter

These days you will really need a formal education in gamekeeping or have an experienced keeper to spend several years learning from before considering a gamekeeping position.

A day shooting less than 150 birds is no longer considered financially viable, x 10-12 shoot days per year means releasing an absolute minimum of 3000 birds. A huge financial investment for someone, and a huge trust to put in a gamekeeper.

Before you get any birds you need to construct your pens, around 3k of fence line.
    Have all the vermin under control.
    Have enough feeders, drinkers, shelters, electric fence units etc etc.

You need decide how much medicated and unmedicated feed to buy, get your prescriptions sorted from your vet send them to the feed mill. Decide how bad a year it will be for gapes get a prescription for and order your flubenvet.

You really do need to be able to spot the first symptoms of disease, use your wormers at exactly the right time, etc etc etc.

Even a simple task like wing clipping is so easy once you are shown but a nightmare to explain and an even bigger one if you get it wrong.

Then once the birds start to get out of the pens the real hard work starts getting them back in the pens through the fox gates twice a day, as well as carting the same amount of food and water you have moved the previous weeks. Plus the harvest will be here so you will be out every night lamping.

Once the birds leave the pens you will spend many hours a day with your dog "dogging in" chasing them away from the shoots boundaries and back into the "drives".

There are the straw rides to put out, beater and gun tracks to cut after you have been sat in a high seat half the week frozen to death trying to get that fox that is taking your birds as they come down from roost right next to your pen!
    You need to organise local support. What if you get the flu or break an arm. You need to organise pickers up and beaters for your shoots. Organise and find vermin shooters.

It's not all walking about with a 12 bore.

A gamekeeping job is not really something to take on ( even if someone let you) unless you know what you are doing and have training behind you.

Having said that another good way to learn is to run a small shoot for a farmer with a few birds released (GWCT do a very basic 3 day course) as long as you have a local gamekeeper who is prepared to help and advise you in exchange for picking up for him on his shoot or something.
    This kind of shoot could never afford a gamekeeper and you would have to do it part time (even harder work) as many shoots are these days.
    Please let us know how you get on.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  15. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

I didn't say it was easy Andy, what I didn't put in my post was that I had worked with the farmer for a few years and also used to help the Keeper too. The syndicate of farmers were looking for someone they knew and trusted and seeing as I was shooting on 7 farms with hundreds of acres of land they all knew me, maybe I was their obvious choice. Still if my wife had not said no, things could have been very different... Anyway Andy, thanks for your lesson in today's gamekeeping, was an interesting read:up:

16. r10hunter

I was in no way criticising your post sorry if it seemed that way.
    Many people got a job and struggled through with some help from old Fred in the village until they learned the job back then. Thirty years ago a farmer would run a shoot just to invite friends to shoot on.

Things are very different today as the costs are so huge. Cottage, salary, landrover, £30,000.
    Feed wheat £150 per tonne, in 2004 it was £60 per tonne.
    Poults £3200+ per thousand
    You now pay vat on shooting leases!
    Etc etc.

I was trying to point out to the op the way the gamekeeping landscape has changed. The skills he will be expected to have before being offered a job and the pressures he will be under from day one.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  17. Alexdermietzel

Alexdermietzel Keyboard Hero

Yes there is. For example; Hereford college do a gamekeepers apprenticeship.

18. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

Sorry Andy, I just reread my post, sadly it ready's very wrongly and it comes across as I was offended. Truely this is not the case, I suppose thats the problem with text, there is no tone so sometimes things read very wrongly... Thanks for the thought mate. :tea:

19. r10hunter

No worries mate.
    Cheers Andy