1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Fx Wildcat Experts Please

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Auracana, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Auracana

Auracana Engaging Member

A little help from a person in the know regarding FX Wildcats much appreciated.

I hadn't used my wildcat for a month and when I got it out of it's case it was totally empty of air
    (It was perfectly fine since I have had the rifle).

I topped it up, shot several mags through it and left it a couple of days to investigate the leak later. As expected it has leaked all the air out again.

So expecting o ring failure, I took off the cylinder to check the o rings.
    I will be ordering a set of o rings, but in the mean time I checked and silicone greased the o rings on the cylinder and also on the regulator and reassembled.
    Pumped it up the 100bar and left it.
    This morning I found it is still at 100bar, but when I cock and fire I find there is no air past the regulator?
    So:
    a) have I put the regulator back in in the wrong position?
    b) is the regulator playing up?
    c) have I managed to readjust the regulator during reassembly?
    d) should I have cocked the rifle before filling?

I was going to replace with Lane/Huma in future so if the regulator I will just do this now.

Question is how do I now let out the air that is trapped in the cylinder in the front of the regulator?
    Can I do this via the gauge assembly?

Appreciate some advice on this..... Thanks in advance

2. Samobaggins

Samobaggins Keyboard Hero

Th
    The reg might be set higher than 100bar.
    Did you disassembled the reg to put the new seals in?

Auracana likes this.
  3. Auracana

Auracana Engaging Member

As per the YouTube vids, I dropped out the spacer, pulled out the reg which is a 2 part item. The reg is small and pushes inside a larger collar. I lubed and reassembled as it was. Maybe I end up readjusting it.
    When I work out how to bleed the air out, I'll have another play. Thanks.

4. SlyM1ke

SlyM1ke Busy Member

If you can't fire it off, maybe loosen the pressure gauge slightly and let it bleed off slowly.

Auracana likes this.
  5. Auracana

Auracana Engaging Member

That was my plan but have found the gauge only has a narrow gap for a spanner so off to buy a narrow jaw spanner tomorrow.
    Sometimes a little job turns into a much bigger one!
    Thanks for the advice....

SlyM1ke likes this.
  6. no country members

no country members Tooled up tool

There is a bleed screw on the Wildcat. LH side under stock below the cheek rest.

Either you've managed to get the reg in backwards or it's knackered.

Auracana likes this.
  7. Tim_B

Tim_B Very Active

I don't think the reg is backwards....when I did exactly that it was blown out of the collar when filling with air...took me a couple of attempts to figure out what was the matter.

The best bet is the bleed screw on the block - that's what it's designed for. I would also purchase a gauge (circa £13) which screws into this hole and it will tell you what the reg is set at. Once you have serviced the reg I t should be as good as any huma (mine was) - I would like to try a lane reg though, but as I haven't got the cat any more I'll have t wait for you to tell me if it's any good :D

If the bleed screw doesn't work then loosening the gauge is the only option - facom do some nice thin spanners

Auracana likes this.
  8. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

Do you have a suggestion on where to buy a decent quality gauge from mate?

9. Tim_B

Tim_B Very Active

Yeah, my shed if I could find the flipping thing :D :facepalm:. I think I bought mine from the Huma website, but think best fittings or xtx may do them. I have the rest of the day to find it :D

jps norton likes this.
  10. Auracana

Auracana Engaging Member

Tried that first but no air was getting past the reg so no pressure from reg back which is where the bleed screw is. Looks like definitely reg issue.

11. Auracana

Auracana Engaging Member

Yes will play around with the std reg and will likely try a Lane reg when I get round to it. Will also fit gauge then also.

Tim_B likes this.
  12. no country members

Bleed screw must yield from high pressure side of reg otherwise would not be a bleed as would need firing pin to open air flow path.

13. 32:1

32:1 Theoben user

It would bleed if reg was working, as a reg only seals at its set pressure, once under that its letting by, so then the system could be bled, this now seems to be nothing but a pressured chamber.

Id go seek advice from the likes of airfective, as undoing high pressure stuff doesn't always leak off before threads let go

Chris

Tim_B and Auracana like this.
  14. Mick_Green

Mick_Green Active Member

Hi Auracana

Just in case you don't have one this is link to the exploded diagram for the FX wildcat MK1 (assuming you have the MK1. the MK2 diagram is on the same site)

this shows you the direction the regulator should fitted in your rifles air tube.

https://spares.bagnallandkirkwood.c...X-Wildcat-Exploded-Parts-List-and-Diagram.pdf

If your on a Sub 12 UK spec rifle I believe the stock Regulator is set to 55bar, and you should not attempt to undo the regulators locking nut as it's very unlikely that you would get it back to the right pressure if you have adjusted that nut. Unless you took some very precise measurements with a very good digital micrometer prior to adjusting it.

I have the MK2 and i recently swapped out the stock FX reg for a Huma now running at 65bar (started to get irregular shot strings after the rifle was about 14 months old) common fault I've been lead to believe. the Huma has made a great improvement to my Wildcat MK2 and the shot strings are much more even. albeit overall shout count is down due the the higher regulator pressure over stock, and the hammer strike adjusted according to keep it under the 12ftlsb mark

if the Regulator is not in the correct position it could be blocking the small air hole in your air cylinder and that would stop it from letting the air through and filling the air in the cylinder behind your regulator. the air hole in the outer ring should ideally line up with the hole in your air tube.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Auracana likes this.
  15. Auracana

Auracana Engaging Member

Hi Mick.
    Thanks for the info...

The regulator is definitely in the right way round as I watched a couple of tutorials before I started and reassembled as I found it.
    I had the same thought that the reassembly has blocked the breather hole.
    I was under the impression the aluminium space ring would put the regulator in the right position, but I seem to be wrong.

To be honest I thought the standard regulator had seen better days as there appeared to be a small amount of aluminium ?corrosion on the outer part ( cleaned this off when I put it back together). An inspection of the cylinder looked clean as a whistle though.
    The gun was bought used and it looks like someone has already been fettling as one of the stock screws was a bit chewed and when I first got it I found it was underpowered, with some odd modification to the hammer spring and knackered brass hammer spring adjuster which I had to sort.
    Something you take a risk with buying second hand.
    Not got round to looking at this again at the moment as a lot of other "life" things taking priority at the moment.
    I've just put it to one side in disgust for the time being...

When I get some time I will order and fit a Lane regulator as well as change the O rings rest of the rifle.
    However I might just send it to one of the tuners to give it the once over at some point....
    Thanks all for the advice.....

Mick_Green likes this.
  16. no country members

There are two brass screws at the back an outer one with a large straight slot in it (very large screwdriver needed here to get tight fit and avoid chewing it) and another behind it which is an allen key fitment. The inner one adjusted via an allen key is the backstop for your hammer spring pre-tension. The outer one is just a friction lock-off/anti-tamper and doesn't need to be re-fitted as long as you drop a bit of thread lock on once properly adjusted just to stop thread creep.

I've also swapped the factory reg for a Huma with good results.

Auracana likes this.
  17. Mick_Green

Mick_Green Active Member

My pleasure

I love my mk2 wildcat. I mainy shoot benchrest these days and it will put 4 * 8 shot mags in very fast sucession under 1/4" @ 30 and 40 yards with .22 jsb rs. The aftermarket huma reg really helped that. And if it ever arrives the stx pellet linner a might tighen it up some more i hope. Shame its been on back order for over a year lol.

You should be able to sort anything you need to on the rifle without sending it off anywhere they are prety straight forwards.

You should be able to pre set the reg preasure on the lane reg. I would think they are very much like the huma regs in that reguards. And as long as you have decent chronograph will be able to dial in the required fps for your chosen pellet.

The corousion will be down to too much water being in the air thats been filling the rifles air tube. But as long as your air tube is good all shouls be well. Ive got my own hpa compressor with multi stage filters to ensure clean dry air.

I have to say on the odd occasion ive bought second hand the rifle is completely stripped and rebuilt beforevi use them after the test shots before buying it. You never really know what your getting on the second hand market.

Hey no country what reg preasure do you run your huma at

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Auracana likes this.
  18. no country members

I set mine at 80bar on the reg markings.

19. Mick_Green

Mick_Green Active Member

I know I had to wind back my hammer spring Tension when i upped it 10bar to 65 bar. to keep it sub 12. whats your chrono saying your running at with your choice of .177 pellets.

20. no country members

11.6 with JSB Heavies (obviously some backing off of hammer pre-tension was required).

The Huma is smaller and increases useable air volume of cylinder and this plus the more efficient hammer and valve operation has if anything slightly increased my shot count as far as I can tell.

I have tested across off reg threshold and see no spike in fps just a steady reduction if I continue to shoot further down the pressure range.

The Robin likes this.