1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Fx Superior Liner

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by Teuchter Boy, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Teuchter Boy

Teuchter Boy Engaging Member

Well tonight, having now received the correct 700mm barrel for my Mark 2 25cal pp Impact I thought I would install the superior liner I bought a few weeks ago from sgc. To my surprise the 700mm barrel was already sporting the superior liner (I now have two.... :facepalm:).

In any event with fading light I ran some JSB Kings, Mark 1 Heavies and Hybrids through it and to my surprise they all shot brilliantly at 50 yards at 895ftps, 775ftps and 835ftps respectively. I will test the Hades tomorrow during toddler nap time but already looking like I have no reason to fiddle with the Impact for now as it is shooting everything fine with the regulator at just under 110 bar.

I appreciate many on here shoot all three of these pellets at much faster speeds with amazing results at 100 plus yards but I won't be hunting past about 80 to 90 yards so happy with the lower power. Might push the hybrids faster out of curiosity but for now just going to enjoy the rifle having waited so blo*dy long for it during lockdown.

Would be interested to hear what speeds other fx impact owners are shooting these pellets for the best results. Also would it be incorrect to say the superior liner seems to slow pellets down as I got the same speed with the Kings using the 600mm without any changes to the settings, thought the 700mm would give me 20 to 40ftps more but turns out to be just the same speed......

2. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Major Poster

Picked up an outer of the FX HYBRIDS in .25 today, run about 970 for best results!

Teuchter Boy likes this.
  3. Teuchter Boy

@Spray1Mark what reg pressure did you need to run them at that speed? Also I presume pushing them faster is subject to the law of diminishing returns in terms of accuracy given how well they shoot at 835ftps. Still somewhat intimidated by all the variables to start fiddling so very useful to learn from you guys who have done all the hard work researching what works best.

4. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Major Poster

You can run at 120 bar, the higher speeds really make a difference past 50 yards, which in truth is what slugs are about and yes the superior liner does seem to have some weird effects on velocities from pellets to slugs.

John Entwistle and Teuchter Boy like this.
  5. GAUGE

GAUGE Engaging Member

My FX crown .25 is doing 945 with FX 25.4 GRN at 50flbs reg set at 147 bar
    The Hades are super accurate the hybrids are excellent to but no better than the the Hades the slugs are faster thought 600 mm barrel

Teuchter Boy likes this.
  6. Teuchter Boy

@GAUGE thanks for the information. Tried the Hades last night at 875ftps. I appreciate I probably need to speed everything up to get the best accuracy. If I can get the heavies up to 850ftps this should also work well for the hybrids at close to the 970ftps Spray1Mark recommended. I can always turn the hammer spring wheel down if this is too fast for Kings or Hades.

GAUGE likes this.
  7. GAUGE

GAUGE Engaging Member

One thing I noticed that when the pressure drops to about 120 bar from the bottle the pressure gauge on the reg also drops slightly s this normal as only had the gun a couple of weeks

8. Teuchter Boy

I am an impact newbie myself but as my reg is at 110 bar I can't say I have noticed any change in the gauge. I haven't shot below the reg pressure of 110 bar but presumably if I did then the gauge would also start dropping commensurate with the pressure in the bottle. If you reg pressure is set at 120bar then this would explain the drop in your reg gauge if and when you shoot below this pressure in the gun. I would add I don't think the gauges are that accurate so your bottle and reg gauge may not be reading the same pressure even when the gun is off the regulator. This could all be nonsense so someone with more experience may wish to chip in.

9. GAUGE

GAUGE Engaging Member

Thanks kinda makes sense

10. Teuchter Boy

@Spray1Mark you inspired me to fiddle with the impact this afternoon after watching loads of tuning videos on YouTube this morning when I was supposed to be drafting complex legal documents. Ah well there is always tomorrow. On the plus side using the hammer spring and valve adjuster (wanted to limit my variables) I got the heavies up to 850ftps with the hybrids shooting at 925ftps on the same settings with valve knob at three bar. If I turn the hammer spring knob from max to 4 I can then shoot kings at 890ftps. After lots of fretting it was actually quite painless as I took things slow and steady. Happy days. The hybrids are now pretty much just one hole at 50 yards with the heavies not far behind, subject to me doing my bit. I don't doubt upping the reg pressure by five to ten bar would get me to 979ftps with the hybrids but that is a job for another day.

11. GAUGE

GAUGE Engaging Member

I'm still getting to know my FX crown I'm a bit confused about the reg pressure
    Mine is set on around 147 nugging 149 bar ive been looking at u tube some FX owners have got Thiers on 120 Mark or less and still getting 900 odd FPS so I'm asking myself the lower the regulator pressure the more shots per fill at around same velocities advice please
    Also I'm still only taking rabbits at no more than 40 yds untill I get use to the rifle

12. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Major Poster

The sweet spot for .25 was always 140 on the reg, with the Crown you cannot limit airflow to increase efficiency like you can with the IMPACT hence you waste air, you could back everything off and balance the reg and hammer spring adjuster and indeed get more shots but IME with the Crown you don't improve accuracy any, better to actually shoot the 34g KING HEAVY MKII at 870-880 at the same set up as you have with the .25 and enjoy the extra power for nothing as the wasted air will be utilsed with the heavier pellet.

How many shots do you need on an average outing, do you have to re-fill in the field?

13. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Major Poster

You must not rely on the line markings on the valve adjuster, they are wholy un-repeatable, winding in or out has massive amounts of backlash, use instead a caliper to measure the gap and use this as a guide WHILST winding in (i.e. compression on the set-up), does that make sense?

Teuchter Boy likes this.
  14. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Major Poster

You may also find you have to fire the gun quite a few times for the valve to stop on the ball or O ring to set the limit of travel, hope that makes sense as well?

Teuchter Boy likes this.
  15. Teuchter Boy

Thanks @Spray1Mark, I appreciate you taking the time to help us out. Unfortunately I didn't measure the valve before I pushed it all the way out. When screwed back in it reduced the fps by around 15 having increased it by 12 or so when screwed all out. I understand the mechanics of the valve spring the reality of it is still confusing. In this instance I just maxed out hammer spring and valve and then dropped the hammer spring back a bit and then did the same with the valve after getting around 20ftps over my target velocity. Despite my ignorance the rifle seems to be shooting quietly and accurately at the targeted ftps for the heavies, beginners luck....