1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Fx Crown Leak

Discussion in 'Technical' started by luap, May 20, 2020.

1. luap

luap Donator

hi i was asked to look at the seals on a fx crown its leaking straight down the barrel when you fill it i have looked it up an from what i could find it should be the seal around the outside of valve seat i have changed the Oring and polished the seat it still leaks tried filling with it cocked .I believe the leak started after the owner fitted new washers in the reg ?

just to add it does not have (D39or D38)spring seat or Oring but the end cap does not have a hole rite throw it so i wondered if this was a newer version than the picture as i had read it would be this Oring if air came out the hole in the it does not have
    any advice appreciated thanks paul

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  2. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Major Poster

Whats the serial number?

3. luap

luap Donator

4. Chocki

Chocki Engaging Member

Have you got a full bottle that fits on the gun to hand, it may require a high pressure behind the valve to seal it shut and filling slowly will not be enough to build up enough air pressure behind the valve to shut it.
    My dreamline when I emptied the gun of air complately did exactly the same, screwed a full bottle on and the valve instantly sealed and has no issues.
    I just make sure before doing any work on the gun which involved depressurising it, I have a filled bottle to hand ready to screw onto the gun.

luap likes this.
  5. v1ktor

v1ktor Busy Member

I had a similar problem with my FX Bobcat Mk1.

Air would leak directly down the barrel as it was being filled.

I tried lapping the valve and seat to provide a seal, unfortunately without success.

I finally replaced the seat and valvepin to stop the leak.

I do not recall the valvehouse having a hole all the way through it.

It definitely had the O ring but no spring seat - it has both now.

I do remember from one of Ernest Rowe's video he mentioned the damage done to valve and seat if the gun is fired empty or with very little air pressure.

HTH

luap likes this.
  6. luap

luap Donator

he has a valve ordered for it an i have ordered a new seat for the valve an spring seat i was wondering if it could of been that it should have the valve spring seat to make enough pressure on the seat for it to seal i think it was Ernest Rowes video that was saying if the Oring on the spring seat was leaking it comes out a hole in the end
    the air comes out slower than it goes in so if i left it filling for a while it may build up enough pressure and seal ?

7. v1ktor

v1ktor Busy Member

Yes, either it leaks via the valve/seat or the valvepin housing/guide thingy.

luap likes this.
  8. luap

luap Donator

well its had a new seat new valve new rod in regulator i noticed the reg gauge does not move it still leaks down the barrel i cant fill the bottle when its off the rifle and i dont know any one with a full bottle to try
    any ideas i have had it conected to the dive bottle full open no change

9. neiled

neiled Donator

I had a similar problem on my Impact of the valve not seating causing a leak through the transfer port and on down the barrel but I'm not sure if this would help on a Crown. Even with the leak it still allowed me to slowly fill the bottle to 250BAR although it did take longer and wasted a fair bit of air.

With the bottle off the rifle and the safety on, I adjusted the reg for higher pressure (anti-clockwise), pulled the cocking handle back and screwed the bottle on. There was still a slight leak but after cocking and firing a few time it stopped as the valve seated and sealed. I then adjusted the reg pressure down to where I wanted it.

Note: My Impact does have the AMP reg fitted which can be adjusted downwards whilst pressurised.

luap likes this.
  10. luap

luap Donator

i tried what you have said in the first part but have not adjusted the reg i set the reg 1 full turn in from flush
    when i fitted the new rod.
    i was expecting a bang when fired but i dont think the hiss changed i found a bit odd i have even tried with out the Oring on the valve pin so it would have on restriction incase it was to stiff i know it would leek out the hole whilst firing but just for test may have helped

11. John Entwistle

John Entwistle Busy Member

Is this sub 12 or FAC if it’s sub 12 then you need the remove cylinder, degas, screw the reg all the way in then out about 1 turn and try again, reg pressure of 60/70 should be fine to tune it in to a safe legal tune. If it’s FAC then watch this
    He is FX master tuner in the us

luap likes this.
  12. luap

luap Donator

ok thanks i was going for high reg pressure to seat the valve i did think it would run at about 90-110 bar sub 12 i didnt realise they ran so low i was going to get it working and turn down i didnt realise you need to be low and go up ,i was trying to keep the tip away from the regulator rod as i think someone had wound it in and damaged the tip that was why i replaced it

13. Tim_B

Tim_B Pro Poster

My Crown runs at 110bar, sub 12. having said that it is an early version which needs a slightly higher pressure - I would say 85 to 95bar would be spot on, sub 12.

Jeffsky and luap like this.
  14. neiled

neiled Donator

My new sub 12 .177 cal Crown Compact (Continuum) is running at 80BAR.

Jeffsky, Tim_B and luap like this.
  15. Chocki

Chocki Engaging Member

Was this for an FAC rifle?, these have a much higher force on the hammer weight to overcome the much higher regulator pressure, so yes, with no pressure behind the valve your going to smack the hell out of the valve pin when dry fired. Although not recommended, our sub 12 guns are less likely to get damaged.

luap likes this.
  16. Jeffsky

Jeffsky Busy Member

The standard crown was being shipped with the reg set 50/60 bar, the continuum/ compact 80/90 bar and as Tim says the early crowns had a different reg so set 100/110 bar :thumb:

17. luap

luap Donator

ok thanks we are trying to sort the bottle out as it leeks above 60 bar when not on rifle an then going to try and get an adaptor to fill the bottle so i can screw on a full bottle see if it makes any difference to being connected to the diving bottle its all a bit strange as the reg gauge does not move at all

18. Chocki

Chocki Engaging Member

It won't, all the air from the regulated plenum chamber is escaping out via the leaking valve seat and on through the barrel port to the outside via the barrel.
    Are you now also saying the bottle leaks as well when removed from the gun?

19. Chocki

Chocki Engaging Member

The end cap / valve guide D36 without the hole right through is for UK sub 12 use to limit the valve opening, but I thought it still needed D38 and D39 to keep the valve centred to the valve seat and act as a valve spring seat, if these are missing and the hole is a larger diameter than the valve stem, then the spring may not be keeping the valve shut properly and it may be out of alignment with the seat resulting in the leak.
    Also the valve spring should be 20mm long not 15mm, if missing the spring seat as well, then it may not be enough to shut the valve.

Looking at every other comfiguration of FX airguns with similar valves, they all have the spring seat and O ring and the nearest close gun the dreamline definitely has these parts on a sub12 gun.
    Something sounds fishy here, are you sure the owner has not had the valve apart and lost these pieces, they tend to stick slightly to the valve guide when it is removed and can then drop off if not noticed, or if it is a new gun, did the RFD convert an FAC gun to SUB 12 and change the parts omitting these accidentally, i.e. was it ordered from mainland Europe.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020 at 2:50 PM