1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Full power or FAC?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by mike boyle, Jun 29, 2012.

1. mike boyle

mike boyle Member

I have a wild bird problem and have applied for a special license to shoot/scare them. A large number of geese are making life quite difficult. If my license is approved (a formality I'm told) I need something quiet and accurate to start picking them off with. Shotguns are not an option.
    I regularly shoot with a .22 webley tracker but not sure this will give me the power or range that I need.

Does anyone know if a full power air rifle will have enough power over about 35-50 yards to take a goose or do I need to start looking at double the power and a FAC?

Cheers,
    Mike.

2. smallman28

smallman28 Banned

3. mike boyle

mike boyle Member

Thanks for your reply but not sure what you are trying to say, sorry.

4. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

It depends on the type of "goose" it is as to wether its legal to shoot it at all, but YES an air rifle WILL retain sufficient energy to kill, out to over 100yards in fact, but it's only as good as the person shooting it! If you can't hit what your aiming for, you might aswel not be shooting it. :)

5. smallman28

smallman28 Banned

Look at the list of quarry for shooting with a standard air rifle,geese aren't on it!

6. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

Here we go again; BASC ARE NOT a legal body that decides what we can and can not shoot. Therefore that list is as good as useless! ;)

7. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Honorary Member

As above you need to check if you can shoot the geese at all!
    Really they should be taken with shotguns, You can get "silenced" shotguns depending on how quiet you need to be.
    Otherwise I would be looking at FAC.

8. Titchgamer

9. smallman28

smallman28 Banned

Well sorry for offering an opinion :rolleyes:

I thought the idea with a forum was to offer advice,what I said was just that,I didnt for one minute say I was right.
    Personally I wouldn't even consider shooting a goose with an air rifle.

10. mike boyle

mike boyle Member

Wildlife and countryside act 1981.
    You are permitted to shoot geese all year round under special circumstances( license applied for...see original post). I have done my research into the problem and was looking for some weapon advice. I generally hit what I aim at but doubt that a rifle at about 10ftlb will send anything 100yds with enough force to penetrate bone, skin and thick feathers.

11. Titchgamer

Geese are large and hard birds, And you sure as hell dont want to be ******* them off or wounding them!

You would need a head shot every time and like I said I would choose FAC if you can not use a shotgun.

Either way I would seek advice from your FEO.

Also BASC's list is not useless, they offer safe guidelines and as it says on their site you should check the GL.

12. mike boyle

mike boyle Member

I want to use an air rifle because I already use one. They are quiet and unlike a silenced shotgun they are unlikely to cause damage to areas that I am trying to protect from geese.

13. mike boyle

mike boyle Member

Thanks have checked GL and we are within the guidelines on social, economic and crop protection grounds . Have looked at a model 52 Diana that can be tuned. Any other guns you can suggest?

14. Titchgamer

Theoben Rapid.
    Buy one already on FAC, Will be cheaper and less hassle.

15. mike boyle

mike boyle Member

16. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Mike it depends upon the type of goose as to when you can shoot it...(not found Kilbarchan on the map but sounds like Scotland!). There is a good reason for this timing statement. In the winter the geese have more about them, there is less cover and getting close is not as easy. Canadas in early spring are a doddle! There was a post on this the other day - I put up a picture of oneof the Canadas I shot on our farm with a break barrel Theoben (20 cal doing about 11.2 on a very good day! 10.8 others...so call it 11.0 shall we?) It was head shot at 45 paces. I am well used to that rifle. It never knew what hit it an djust flopped over.

If you are after greys/pinks in winter, then yes, I think you would be better placed with a high power Theoben Rapid - why the Rapid? Because they are cheap to buy, simple to work on (and very easy) very tuneable and incredibly accurate, like all Theoben rifles. I have a friend with a 20 cal Rapid running at 30 ft-lbs because that is its sweet spot - he will take 20 cal pellets off a fence at 50 yards with it - line 10 up and he'll knock all 10 off with 10 shots. A tennis ball at 160 yards......so perfect for what you want and about 40 shots per fill too!

So, as I say, it depends on th etype of goose and when they visit. Canadas if nesting - p***k the eggs! It doesn't get rid of the adults, but it prevents them rearing a brood!

17. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

Do some research about air rifle power at different ranges. A perfect tool for the job is chairgun! A sub 12ftlbs air rifle firing a 16grn pellet DOES still contain enough potential energy to kill. Like I said IF you can hit the target. ;)

18. Titchgamer

But a 6 fpe rifle only carries about 2fpe at 100 yards and would have a 10 foot drop :eek:

19. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

Fair one titch, maybe my statement should have read "a FULL POWER sub 12ftlbs air rifle......" :)

20. Samon

Samon Donator

Take advantage of this situation to get yourself a FAC, it will do the job perfectly and even rimfires can be suppressed.

Personally I'd get a .22lr or .22 wmr and enjoy the opportunity to branch out into other territories of the sport! like others have said though, if you just want them gona and aren't a big fan of shooting then just use a sub 12fp air rifle and get close enough to execute a clean, humane kill to the head. Problem sorted.