1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Full Length Barrel Shrouds

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Figgy, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Figgy

Figgy Very Active

Screenshot_20210219-173912__01.jpg Decided to make a full length carbon fiber shroud.
    Made a few different length silencers for the impact compact but want something short and effective.
    Bought a length of 28 x 1mm carbon tube and set about making a decent air stripper, and a way of clamping the shroud to the barrel that keeps it in place. Needing to remove the carbon tube, as I'm putting baffles along the barrel to reflex the shroud and need to get to them.
    The shroud is 250 long this allows 75 mm in front of the air stripper for normal silencer baffles.
    This isn't finished yet so I will update as I go. I know some like this sort of thing.
    Some pictures showing what I've done to date, air stripper marked up for milling out, the black line is end of barrel nut. The end cap is threaded and the ferule is threaded and knurled for glue to get a mechanical grip of. This is so I can play with end cap outlet hole sizes if I feel the need to do so. The rear cap is also made of delrin threaded and chamfered with a slotted male end, so when the two parts are screwed together to grip the barrel, the carbon shroud will be fixed with one or two grub screws to the delrin clamp cap end as it needs to slide over the stripper. I have thought of making a brass stripper and bonding it in the carbon tube to then allow just a plain cap end at the rear.
    So any thoughts on best baffles and reflex baffle design ? I was going with the usual pvc tube milled out slots and accoustic four way stretch carpet or felt all in varying sizes.
    How much baffling in the reflex part? Thoughts on vents at the rear yes or no ?
    Screenshot_20210219-171051.jpg Screenshot_20210219-171058.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    mutley and Phil Spectre like this.
  2. Figgy

Figgy Very Active

An update made three single section baffles for the front 3" and made holed baffle washers for the reflex part of the shroud.
    I'm going to drill two small vent holes at the rear pointing out around 30 degrees down, I think 1.5 or 2mm holes will do to release and pressure slowly from the baffles.
    The front silencer part is made of 21mm pvc pipe in two sections of lengths 35mm 23mm and finally a 25 mm long 15mm pipe with large holes milled into it as this needs to sits inside the front cap.
    With the baffle washers it works out a little over the original 75mm but I wasn't going to remake a tiny baffle until I've tried it out.
    Screenshot_20210220-141253.jpg Screenshot_20210220-141338.jpg

Balders, mutley and DSTM like this.
  3. DSTM

DSTM Engaging Member

Mainly Germany, Sometimes England & Scotland
    That looks very well thought out
    Can I ask what the fully enclosed section to the left hand side is for?

Figgy likes this.
  4. Figgy

Figgy Very Active

That is the reflex part of the silenced shroud over the barrel.
    If you look at the pictures you'll see that I've drilled holes all around the baffle washers to let the air pass into the next chamber and then vent out the two 3mm holes I drilled in the carbon shroud. I looked at the 1 5 & 2 mm decided they were too small.

I will end up playing with the design as I make another. @bucketboy made a locking ring out of Delrin like a ER collet so might try that at some point.
    The next one I'm planing to bond the brass air stripper to carbon so it won't need a compression nut.

I tried dry firing it today and it's very quiet, Need to test with pellets next and check for clipping, I made the air stripper hole tight at 6 mm.

DSTM likes this.
  5. Figgy

Figgy Very Active

Update on how the silenced shroud worked out.

Managed to get out in the garden after all the rain and winds to do a little testing.
    Initial testing showed pellets going way off to the right, :facepalm: I thought ohh no something is very wrong. So I tried turning the shroud 90 degrees brought back the poi to an inch of my zero. I thought keep going and testing, managed to have it shooting half inch higher than my zero. Turned it 180 degrees it got better but not perfect, so turned it a little more and bang on my zero.
    I can can only think that some fibers of the accoustic material I used got stuck between the shroud and baffle washers. Turning the shroud sorted it out.
    It's as quiet if not quieter than my 198 mm silencer I made.
    I took some recordings on my phone placed it 1 meter in front and 1 meter to the side and the pellets hitting the cardboard target and slate paver backstop is much louder even though it was 24meters in front of my phone :D.
    I'm pleased with the results so far and will check that their is no poi shift after leaving it for a while.
    Love the way it looks on my Impact Compact, not sure about how shiny it is though so may spray it with a matt sheen clear coat to tone it down. When ordered I could have sworn I picked the matt finish tube :shrug:

xenophon likes this.