1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Full disclosure, Im misleading my wife about this new (to me) HW77k

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Scott, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Scott

Scott Moderated user

Back in August this year while my club was working the have a go airgun range at Drumlanrig Castle on behalf of Scottish Association for Country Sports (SACS),
    I shot an early(ish) HW77k which belonged to the director of SACS and admittedly I fell in love with this little old rifle, it was just so smooth and easy to shoot.

Little did I know at that time he was looking to pass it on.
    Chatting with one of my club buddies last week I mentioned that Id love to get my hands on a reasonable early HW77 like that one, he then told me it was up for grabs back then and I should contact him about it...
    So I did, it still was and it was going for a totally bargain price that I would need to be unbelievably thick to pass up on.

I saw him today, money changed hands and I now own 1993 HW77k with the 25mm cylinder that I wanted.

The stock is in very good condition for a 23 year old rifle, I'll be sending it to Nath92 for a bold colour change when funds allow
    The barrel possibly needs a re-blue but I'll strip it down and go ever the surface rust with tinfoil and oil first.... however i do fear the worst.

The rifle needs a total strip, degrease, clean, a de-burr (possibly) and rebuilt with all new seals.
    Im very uneducated in this respect but Id like to mildly tune it at first until I know the rifle,

Im looking at a TbT kit, but he does 2 kits with springs now and I don't think theres anything wrong with my own spring, it chrono'd at 10.5 with 14.3gr accupels
    so Im thinking of buying the cheap seats kit at £22 without a spring.

My questions to you me fellow shooters are this:
    would I be better with the TbT kit with the new spring or don't fix whats not broke and leave the original spring in place?
    I know I'd be better replacing the piston seal, but which seals others do need?

or is there a better route for me to take here?

As to full disclosure, it was part of the deal when I bought my shotgun that I sold an air rifle, the Hatsan 60s is going up for sale next week
    my wife will eventually be told about the HW77, but as its a guilty pleasure that I knew nothing about when I first started shooting it will wait till the correct time.
    I was never barred from buying any extra rifles, she just stated one has to go and so one will go...

Many thanks for your time and any advice shared
    Scott

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. green_rizla

green_rizla Donator

Don't worry Scott most of us do it to one degree or another ..... and Full Disclosure is only really required in Court.:)

Cheers
    Peter

3. davymole

davymole Donator

Northop Hall, Mold, Flintshire North Wales
    Stick with just a clean and a new piston seal and a relube,as for your telling your wife/partner should have come clean in the beginning.I have two men tell me yes I will buy it in regards as to buying a A/R then to tell me wife said No,

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  4. Oat

Oat Very Active

Don't worry, we won't tell on you.

I'm sure you just forgot to add the pictures of it and will edit the post ..... ;)

It sounds reasonably powered, so i would probably keep any work to a minimum - especially as you like it so much as it is.

5. Squirrelking

Squirrelking Donator

Lucky man, was eyeing up 77's tonight but may have secured a MOD 430L instead. I'll say this though, you'll get on better for aftermarket parts to fit a Weihrauch than a Diana.

I had no idea they did that sort of thing down at Drumlanrig, I just went down the other week to visit the bike trails for the first time, it's a nice thing they have going on down there.

6. 177

177 Donator

If it's doing 10.5 and it's nice to shoot, just shoot it and leave alone (for now).

The best treatment for any springer is use. Mechanical issues notwithstanding they tend to just get better as you use them, so just have at it.

My last 77 was very used and I can tell you that few things are as satisfying as turning up at the range and knocking the kit tarts into next week with 'modest' gear :)

My last one:

[​IMG]

Used to really cheese people off with that, shooting map pin heads as targets :cool:

7. Scott

Scott Moderated user

Hi mate, it was part of the Galloway country fair (http://www.gallowaycountryfair.co.uk) and SACS had a stand there.

Given the advice, I wont open it up, I'll just put a scope on it and shoot it every weekend

8. surrey shooter

surrey shooter Donator

Guess we know who wears the kilt in the sorby house lol.

Shoot it and see how you get on Scott.

the peoples champ

9. Scott

Scott Moderated user

I wear the kilt in my house Len, Im the boss :up:
    Michelle just keeps my balls in her handbag :eek:

Anyways, to my new toy and the moment you've all been waiting for.....
    (cos like nobody has ever seen an old 77k ;))

I fired a few through it yesterday at the club, but without a scope or open sights it was shotgun style....
    lovely smooth gun, just like I remember

I skived off work early, came home and cleaned it and took some pics for you all

Side Shot: (Isn’t this a beautiful rifle?)

[​IMG]

Serial Number and Calibre:
    [​IMG]

And now to the damage.

Light rust on the barrel:
    (Although it cleaned up very well with tinfoil and SM50)
    [​IMG]

Receiver needs a good polish: (but isn’t going to get it)
    [​IMG]

Stock Damage:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grip Base Plate:
    [​IMG]

I took the action out of the stock to check for any other surface rust and I think judging by the condition of the screw and the immaculate nature of the action that this was the first time it had ever been out of the stock.
    Thankfully there was no other rust, after I rubbed down the surface rust the action was given a wipe over with an oily rag and placed back in the stock.

My plans have changed, I cannot in good conscience change the colour of this stock, its an old rifle I’ll defo send it to Nath when I have more money, but it will be for a recondition and maybe a lighter stain.
    Im not touching the internals of this at all, not until it absolutely needs to be stripped down…
    then I’ll polish the receiver and lightly tune it etc.

One of my buddies at the club is loaning me his scope next weekend so I can start shooting it.
    Ideally Id like to pick up a period scope from 1993, but Im not certain on what was on sale back then.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  10. Squirrelking

Squirrelking Donator

I have to say that's a good looking gun, congrats!

11. Blackmax

Blackmax Forum Rude Guy

Lovely Rob, absolute classic!

I'd get the stock done by Nath but get him to do it 'original', I'd also get it re-blued and new seals won't hurt it, Aussie ones are very good.

Be interested to hear what you decide to do.

12. scarborough_flyer

scarborough_flyer Donator

if your wife is anything like mine buddy.... your screwed.....

13. Jazzyboy

Jazzyboy Donator

Lovely looking gun mate, as to disclosure I am not fit to advise.

My missus doesn't know about the S400 I bought over 2 months ago tho she know's about the '97 I bought last week!!

Too late to tell her about it now.:D

14. Deejayuu

Deejayuu Donator

Front & rear sights £22.50 posted if tempted.

15. Scott

Scott Moderated user

Thanks Deejayuu, but my eyesight is terrible beyond 5m I definately need a scope on this rifle to enjoy it

16. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

I have a note in my gun cabinet saying on my demise Dr Kyska isn't to sell them for what I said I paid for them, nor is she to listen to my shooting buddies who would rip me off even if I were dead.

true

17. craigjohnmaz

craigjohnmaz Busy Member

Great rifle and beautiful lines, i was in the same boat as you a few months back except mine shot terrible with origional spring so switched out for a welsh willy kit, using just iron sights its accurate as anything ive tried and the kit transformed the cycle. They are certainly keepers

18. Scott

Scott Moderated user

It seems we have similar buddies :up:

19. daveboy

daveboy Engaging Member

You can buy Testicle seeds on the internet,
    Plant two of these and water everyday,Soon after you will have "grown a pair" and will be able to
    disclose your spending without fear.:D:D:D
    I did this years ago with my first wife but the seeds cost me my house(worth every penny)

20. ukglyn

ukglyn Big Poster

Great looking rifle Rob , I would of done exactly the same. I suggest you just treat it like the clothes that the wife has that you know you have never seen before, but when you ask if its new its just some old rag she has had for years. So when the good lady sees it just shrug & say, this was my first ever rifle brought new in 93. I always remember the phrase bullsh*t baffles brains.:D