1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question FT / HFT Scope

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Kai, May 10, 2012.

1. Kai

Kai Active Member

Can people advise me on a comprise scope so my lad can try both disciplines.

Budget up to £150

If I can I would rather keep to one scope so he doesn't have to keep swapping scopes and having to zero them

Many thanks

Steve

2. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

FT and HFT scope requirements are diametrically opposed so finding a scope that does both well is almost impossible. The only two scopes that do both well are £350 or so secondhand so you will really be compromising here. As a general rule it's easier to compromise the HFT scope requirements and still be able to function around those compromises than the FT requirements of the scope which are much more demanding so go for a 10-40x50 mildot ZOS (they go by a million and one other names too on ebay). They actually make a decent budget FT scope and when wound down to 10x will be able to do HFT. Expect the HFT performance to be less than if you spent the same money on a scope specifically for the job but not so less as to be unusable.

3. Kai

Kai Active Member

Ok , so spend the money on a Ft scope as that would give me room to play with HFT

4. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Try a Nikon 4-12x40 Prostaff with the BDC reticule. Within your budget, has sufficient depth of field when set to 6x - 8x for HFT (something like that power) and 12x should give him a good go at the FT stuff. You won't lose out on it if you trade up either - A&M Custom Gunsmiths are about the best source, not seen them cheaper anywhere else. They also do Nikko Stirling if you want something different, but I can't praise the Prostaff scopes enough. I have 2 of them, one on the Rapid, one on the Taunus. VERY bright, clear, crisp, high contrast image due to higher quality lenses than normal.

5. Darren Petts

12x for FT? Have you ever shot FT? I've never seen ANY scope rangefind accurately under 24x and few do it under 32x.

6. Darren Petts

Essentially, yes. If you compromise on the HFT side you can still compete reasonably well at it. If you compromise on the FT side you are peeing in the wind and will stand no chance.

7. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Nope, never even watched it - but the question was for an AFFORDABLE scope that would work for HFT - which end do you want to err on? FT and no good for anything else? HFT and less magnification.

I have always range find by eye only. I don't own any fancy gadgets beyond eyeball, Mk1:D

I still stand by my suggestion. The Prostaff is a very good scope. No frills, no adjustable anything, no illuminated anything, just honest, quality leneses.

8. kpr1969

kpr1969 Well-Known Member

got an airmax SR12 6-24 if your interested? best used with .22 though..is that you?

9. Darren Petts

No - the requirement was for a scope that would do HFT AND FT.

10. gasman

gasman Has a Massive member

got a hft scope (hawkeside winder) in the sales :up:

11. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

No, the request was for one of those at £150

12. milek

milek Honorary Member

With respect gents there is no definitive answer here so it was really a moot point as to what the question was?

13. keeprightontilltheendoftheroad

keeprightontilltheendoftheroad Big Poster

Hi in answer to ft and HFT there is a scope that does both but it's not £150!!

It's the Bushnell 6500 2-16x42

I know chaps AA grade ft shooters that use it and also some HFT shooters aswell. It's my next purchase as the scope does everything you can hunt, ft or HFT.

14. Darren Petts

It's not a moot point at all. For certain there is no definitive answer but ignoring one half of the requirements doesn't improve your answer.

15. milek

milek Honorary Member

It is to me, the two of you playing semantics doesn't provide the op with an answer.

16. Darren Petts

Semantics is about arguing the meaning of a word not the ignoring of it. If you re-read the thread you'll note that the only one who has provided the OP with an answer addressing ALL their requirements is myself! I did that in my first reply. I have only replied further to point out to the OP that other advice ignored their requirements. A point pretty much conceded by the admission of zero experience of FT from that person. Most others here are either trying to sell their own scope or just here to argue with those who have offered advice. Look to your input here rather than mine.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  17. keeprightontilltheendoftheroad

I think my answer was on topic but budget of £150 for something to do both is difficult as £150 for a FT scope isnt enough.

18. Kai

Kai Active Member

Cheers guys , my bad for thinking that i could compromise the scope so i apologise for that error :(

Please dont get into a "debate" over the meaning behind my question , its is just a newbie one.....honest . I tried searching the forum and couldnt come up with what i was after and now know why :)

All i was trying to do is get my 9 yr old lad set up with a rifle (another thread) and a scope that would let him try out both disiplines to see what he likes , he may well like both , i dont know.

Anyhoo the Sun is shining and we are off down to our local club this morning after bacon sarnies

Regards

Steve

19. keeprightontilltheendoftheroad

Yes best advice is try both disciplines see what he likes.