1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Frustrating Afternoon At The Range

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Zanelad, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Zanelad

Zanelad Active Member

My third visit and I'm wondering what's happening. My shots seem to be all over the place. I'm shooting with a springer and I've only had it a month or so. I know it will take some time to get used to it, but I seem to be getting worse, not better. I hit a spinner target often enough not to consider them flukes, but when using a paper target it looks more like I've used a shot gun, not an air rifle.

Resting on a bag seems better than using the artillery hold, but consistency is elluding me

Any tips before I get a pcp.....:)

2. PumpnGun

PumpnGun Donator

Consistency is what your after Zane, when you hit the Spinner, you need to replicate that shot time after time, it takes plenty of practice.
    It will come if you stick with it, When I got my 95 I was all over the place, now it hits what I aim at, I know this sounds daft but, I guide it more than I hold it
    Keep going and good luck :thumb:

Ray

3. PW1

PW1 Shooting the breeze.

I am sure the springer advocates will be able to give you advice. Just enjoy it for a while until you have researched which PCP will suit you best and then buy a proper gun for some serious shooting, a PCP :)

Regards
    Peter

4. Regal Man

Regal Man Post Whore

In all honesty, even pcp shooters when they buy new gun, they shoot well for a while, then things fall apart.
    If you really cant be bothered, to shoot a springer. then sell it and get a pcp.
    Id say you need, more practise, a month is not enough time.

mojocvh and PumpnGun like this.
  5. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker The Tree Hunter

Ray is spot on with his reply, Zane. A springer requires far more practice to master than a pfffttt-gun, but if you persevere, the rewards are well worth the effort that you've put in. Also remember that a 1" group on paper might not look that much, but on a 1" spinner, it's a hit every time. You say that you've only been shooting for a month, don't expect to run before you can walk - learning the ropes with a springer is by far the best way to become an above average marksman...

bob4026, DRAGONBAIT666, kt83 and 2 others like this.
  6. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Major Poster

It might be that you're feeling more pressure when aiming at paper rather than a spinner. I sometimes have this but I just pretend it's easy and calm down.

7. Zanelad

Zanelad Active Member

I intend to persevere with the springer. The comment regarding a pcp was to gue in cheek.;)

Listening to pcp owners fire 4 or 5 pellets to my one makes me wonder whether I could support a pcp habit.........

8. PumpnGun

PumpnGun Donator

Getting it right with a Springer is far more satisfying :thumb:

Ray

Taff88, dancza, goafdoc and 4 others like this.
  9. Devonair

Devonair Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit....

I agree with Mikey, when I shoot at a squirrel target that I have that is set for a 10mm hole at 32.5 meters in the garden I get a pellet through the hole with my Xocet at least half the time. I find the challenge more serious and take my time and hit it well. With the paper target I shoot to quickly and wonder why it doesn’t group as well, logical really!

I have two springers that I use the most. One is a very refined new Air Arms TX200HC, groups superbly on the paper target and I can shoot quickly and it still shoots accurately, the other is a Webley Xocet, the trigger is too tight, it kicks like a mule and doesn’t group as well on the paper target but it gets through that hole on the squirrel target as often as the TX and makes me feel a hero when I do. I don’t take it down the range these days but love it in the garden and it’s much lighter to hunt with where it is just as accurate. :shrug:

10. Devonair

Devonair Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit....

If you are using a bag I would recommend you keep your hand between the bag and the gun, this will give you the artillery hold and the stability of the bag. It will give you more consistency too, which is the aim for accuracy.

Jack's Da likes this.
  11. rabbitwrecker

It's not a bad thing to be in touch with your feminine side, but buying a pfffttt-gun is taking it way too far...

DRAGONBAIT666, Trampilot and shauny like this.
  12. mojocvh

mojocvh Donator

I would agree with the learning the ropes with a springer part.

One of the least obvious is your follow through on the trigger, because it's done it's bit when the rifle fires right?

-wrong! you modify your hold on the pistol grip by the natural motion of your hand if you pause or release your trigger finger action. Try it and see how your hand flexes/moves!

What you want to do is continue the rearwards pull until the stop. Blend the release out.

Imagine good shooting is made up of 100 [sic] different items. Master each one and you have improved 100%!!

Transfer those skills to pcp shooting [and remembering to polish them up with the springer occasionally as pcps do take your edge off unless you maintain it] and the results are staggering.

Mo.

13. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Frustration is also a group opener;)

UnionJackJackson and Hiram like this.
  14. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Major Poster

100%

bob4026 and Devonair like this.
  15. Hampshire Tog

Hampshire Tog Donator

Breathing while shooting is another part of the art. Slow down and concentrate on your breathing. Don't hold your breath. Breath in deeply and slowly. Settle your cross hairs on your target and start to breath out slowly. Squeeze the trigger before you have finished exhaling. I usually start any range session with 5 mins or so taking some pretend shots, just reminding myself how to breath while shooting. Really, it's about breathing and concentration - like yoga but with guns.

DRAGONBAIT666 likes this.
  16. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

And don’t go shooting on a full stomach. Believe it or not, an empty stomach reduces heart rate, aids in concentration and sharpens the mind.

17. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Big Poster

Been shooting springers for 30 odd years and I still have off days, not very often mind, also bare in mind that some springers can be complete buggers to shoot accurately, the rifle in question is ?...

Devonair, Regal Man and rabbitwrecker like this.
  18. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Big Poster

Unlike your avatar !... :D:up:

David M, Stevie Darling and Devonair like this.
  19. Zanelad

Zanelad Active Member

The rifle is a Benjamin Nitro Trial gas ram. I go to the range mid afternoon after work so I've only had a light snack at lunchtime. At least that's one thing I'm doing right. :)

Devonair likes this.
  20. rabbitwrecker

Oh Dear Lord. Far be it for me to urinate on your pyrotechnics, but that's NOT a springer and will require a slightly different technique to master... :facepalm: