1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Frustrated at the range (as usual)

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by r1ch, Aug 3, 2014.

1. r1ch

r1ch Donator

Been to the range today and last time I was there I decided to zero at the 32 metre limit of the range but I found the grouping was garbage! So I borrowed the box of different pellets they have so I could check which ones work best with the scorpion, I found Prometheus worked best so bought some, sat down and after a couple of shots was all over the place again!

2. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

What rifle do you shoot...is the scope tight ...pellets clipping the mod...have you cleaned the barrel...do you clean the barrel when changing to a different brand of pellet etc

3. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

Yeah , my grouping goes to pot in the afternoon but that's just the beer :D

Have you tried aa 4.52 my scorp loves them .

4. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

When Pax Designed Defiants We used John Bowkett BSA Rifles for Testing - 4.52 for .177 & 5.52 for .22

Yes there are different weights and head Sizes in Defiant Range - All made on Single Dies from quality Lead

It does take a few Shots as they need to Find Rifling for Speed & Accuracy

BOB/R

5. r1ch

r1ch Donator

To be honest I haven't cleaned the barrel at all so many people telling me not to clean the barrel I didn't but I'm open to any advice! The scope is tight I think it's probably me! Might just go back to 24 yd zero and hope for luck at 32

rich

6. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Prometheus are prob worse pelkets to be testing sub 12 trydiff head sizes of air arms jsb ect first that 0.01 in head size can make a massive diffrence

7. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

I dont clean any of my barrels unless there not grouping or im changing pellets ..I normally just run some pellet felts through it ant it seems to sort it....but get some decent pellets mate ..a good pellet makes a difference atb

8. Billboy

Billboy Active Member

I've had that before, not happy with pellet X so try some of pellet Y, without cleaning the barrel, 1st 20 or so shots give the tightest group I've ever seen, then open up again. This happened with my scorpion and my r10, which in the end the scorpion prefered jsb exacts 4.52 and the r10 jsb exacts 4.53 now try to have 40/50 ish shots before settling on a few tins,

Hth, billy

9. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Ideally u should clean your barrel befor any change in pellets esp befor rellying on the tests or your results mean nothing

10. scottroutledge

scottroutledge Engaging Member

I've tried about 5 different types in my 78 and found that it prefers RWS superfield and after about 30 shots it would group 5 shots in 1" at 30 meters. Don't despair your shooting and grouping will get better when you find your preferred pellet type
    Scott

11. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

My Scorpion SE likes a clean barrel.
    Accuracy will go off high and right after around 300 - 400 shots.
    I use a pull through kit to clean the barrel and then the Scorpion is dead on again.

Have been using AA Fields 4.52 and it is amazingly accurate with these pellets!!

12. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

WHY? I think you are referring to the old plastic skirted Prometheus of old, which still sell overseas by the 10s of 000s - so rubbish otr not, if you were selling something that sold so well would you stop making them?

Defiants are made by Prometheus, but they are a fantastic pellet. I had a Scorpion T-10 that would group them as tight at 50 yards as my tuned s410 would stack AA fields at 35 yards. They work best in the SLR too. I have yet to try them through the Rapid .22, but I will give the ogives a try - they do need a good number of shots before they group true. That old Scorpion needed 120 shots but after that they were like a lazer for accuracy. BSA barrels are larger than European barrels, so go for the L head size, it makes a huge difference. I also weighed all 650 in one box and they were the most consistent for weight of any pellet I have weighed. The difference across the box was only .3grains. .2 up and .1 down from the stated 14.0gns. Very good in flight too, like JSB, they have fly with less pronounced trajectory over a set of targets at 25, 35 and 50 yards.

Like any pellet, there will be some rifles that don't like them at all, but probably more to head size than anything else. They are efficient through the air and consistent and accurately made. A lovely polished finish with no dinged ones that I have found yet in many boxes of them. I have no doubt other pellets are as good, but I have thrown a lot of JSB Exacts out of the last couple of tins from this sleeve of 10 tins I bought. JSB are well packaged with foam both sides, but they still get damaged (AA Fields are JSB made).

What concerns me more is the fact thay you got good grouping then lost it - is this down to cylinder pressure? Are you doing these tests with the same cylinder pressure start and finish points?

13. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Not a good day for testing anything today though to be fair its been very windy.

I was out with my Rapid and struggled, even though I know how accurate it is in better conditions.

14. r1ch

r1ch Donator

Yeah I was topping up the pressure so was about the same throughout! Might give the barrel a pull through she has had a fair few pellets down her now so don't suppose it can hurt! Got time to put plenty down the range before it's ratting time!

15. Seanalf

Seanalf Engaging Member

I was offered a tin of Webley VMX Pell the other day in .22 as the shop had no H&N FTT (my mate uses them in his .22 and they work well) cheap. So I gave them a go in a newly restored AGS PRC1 (don't laugh, got it for a song) and it was ragged holing at 35yds! Nice well built pellet, seamless and looking a bit like a shiny JSB.

Picked a tin of 500 up for £8 on the bay, gun loves them and I'd never heard of them before.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014