1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Foxes recently ?

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by jonesy185, Jun 2, 2014.

1. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

Hi guys just wondering if anyone has shot some foxes lately ? got my new batch of ammo for the 243 in now and ready to rumble ! The new 75 gr hornady sst ballistics :)

2. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Had a big old dog fox on Saturday night. Shotgun though. ( using a Tenterfield fox call)

We are mostly arable so stuck with shooting them mostly in the woods, tram lines, and sheep fields up until harvest time. Should be a hay field or two down soon though. Plus the cubs should be getting around on their own in the next couple of weeks. We have a couple of litters to catch up with. Before our young game birds arrive in July.

Do you still have plenty of open land to go at.? What calls are working well for you at the moment? Are you on NV or lamp?

We are going to switch to electric rodent distress and wam soon as they seem to be best on cubs around here.
    Good luck with the foxing.
    Andy

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  3. 177

177 Donator

Called one in last night to about 20 feet :)

Spent a while watching it through the 3-9x50 Nikon Prostaff on my little .22 rimfire.

Biggest dog fox I've seen this year by miles.

I could have shot it easily enough if I'd wanted to.

Frankly, I enjoyed watching him stalk and just miss a young rabbit, and I had a giggle when I called him right in and then stood up and blew a raspberry at him - he scooted off at a fair rate of knots :D

I know, I know, I need to get out more...

;)

4. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

Yea mate have plenty of land , mouse squeak on my.electronic caller seems to be pretty effective and the best fox call which is practically just like the tenterfield. I use the old fashioned lamp don't want it too easy

5. r10hunter

Lol :) I like them easy.
    What are you shooting over to get a .243 at them this time of year, sheep grazing ??
    Cheers Andy

6. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

I've not gone out yet mate , hopefully get a decent day rate zero in next couple days .. what NV are you using ?

7. r10hunter

Watec DIY add ons. Also a a 4x4 roof mounted camera and illuminator that goes to a screen in the car for spotting. You can see foxes at 1km. ( when there are no ******* crops in the way) lol
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers Andy

8. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

Jesus lol . Prepared there . What's the rifle ?

9. r10hunter

It's my mates .22 hornet. It's the same NV unit though. As you don't need to get the gun to your eye you can shoot nearly 180 degrees as long as you have a window mount or bag.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  10. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

Nice one . What's your average distance on despatch

11. r10hunter

(.243) 95% sub 200 yards 50% sub 100 yards. A few long shots to 300 yards a year mostly daylight shots. (15-20 foxes a year )

(.22 hornet) 95% sub 150 yards 50% sub 100 yards (10-15 foxes a year)

22 Rimfire .17hmr [few a year] less than 100 yards.(1-5 foxes a year)

We kill some with shotguns around game areas from high seats and while the crops are up in all the scrubby corners, tram lines etc. Below 75 yards.
    (20-25 foxes a year)

The land I shoot over although very big 4000 acres is not very centre fire safe. Many roads, footpaths / bridle ways and houses scattered around.

There are few places to shoot a long way safely so the night vision works well for us. Enabling us to watch areas where there is a backstop rather than driving around scanning.
    After many years of using a lamp the night vision is so easy to bring the foxes in with.
    Often you can just let them go about their business and watch them until they walk into range with no need to squeak, and squeaking is so much more effective on a dark night when you have no need to scan with the lamp.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  12. mbison

mbison Busy Member

Andy, I wish I had that much land to shoot over. Wowza!

13. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

Yea that's a lot lol ! I've only got 1300 on my land