1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question For all the camo experts!

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by hobson, Feb 7, 2012.

1. hobson

hobson Engaging Member

I'm thinking of adding some extra bits and pieces to my shooting gear, currently an old DPM army jacket and trousers with some old camo netting sewn on to break it up a bit, but it has had a lot of use so is looking rather tatty.

I see Wickes have Hessian sandbags at 99p each, and my wife has some brown and green clothes dye! -an idea is forming in my head!

I wasn't going to go the full on Ghillie suit route, but was going to add a few bits here and there to give me a bit more cover, so has anyone got some good advice on where and how or is it just a case of sew it on and experiment?

2. ferplexed

ferplexed Posting Addict

3. Accuspell

Accuspell Major Poster

If you wear different coloured stuff (green trousers, brown jacket, or vice versa) and stay STILL, with just a bit of natural cover, that is all you need.

the most important things to cover are YOUR HANDS AND FACE - those white flashes will be seen by wild creatures for miles!

The next most important thing to try and reduce is the SHINE from your rifle and scope.

Those hessian sacks will come in very useful for making some cover for the rifle. You don't need to go overboard on it, just a couple of loose covers - died would be good provided there is no UV in the dye. It is also worth mentioning UV whiteners in washing powder. I am convinced UV whiteners, whilst they make your clothes beautifully clean, they also make your clothes SMELL, which will be detected several hundred yards downwind, it also makes them GLOW to wildlife, like a neon beacon, DPM or no, it will be like wearing a fluorescent jacket and trousers to them!

4. 8-ball

8-ball Engaging Member

its your outline you need to break up, so maybe add some bits on the shoulders, down the upper arms etc. Personally, I've been thinking of getting an old Army shirt, couple sizes too big and adding some bits to that to make a sort of 'gillie-shirt/jacket' which I can slip on over whatever else I'm wearing as and when I need it. you could make ome ort of hat/veil which hangs down over your shoulders too - that would work quite well I'd've thought

5. hobson

hobson Engaging Member

I got my wife to sew a kind of hood onto my jacket ages ago, which i then added camo netting to, but camo netting isn't very whispy, so i was thinking of adding some extra stringy/hessiany type stuff, to make it look a bit more grassy.

This is because on a lot of the land i shoot it's big flat grass areas, some wild grass, some polo field type grass, and shooting from the edges out onto field isn't always feasible, so if i set myself up out in the open i figure i need to blend in as much as possible.

I was going to try and make a kind of removable cover for the rifle too...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  6. SteveB

SteveB Busy Member

Use the Jack Pyke "Non Sticky" tape on your rifle. One roll easily does an air rifle. It's stretchy and moulds itself to the gun.
    I hunt in standard 95 DPM camo overalls (£15 off Flea Bay) in the summer, or a 95 DPM jacket / trousers, and Jack Pyke light weight camo baraclava and gloves. VERY slow movement and NO noise is all you need to do. I do have a full Ghillie suit I bought for £40 off Flea Bay, but rarely use it!
    Steve Camo.jpg
    This is the same gear I use for pigeon decoying! Note the Matt Black Armsan Semi Auto shotgun to stop "shine". I have used this same setup for decoying pigeons to air rifle when the farmer stated air guns only, for the first 6 months till he knew I was "safe".
    The Shakespeare fishing rucksack with built in stool carries everything I need including flask, 12 FUD decoys, Flapper, etc...
    When hunting bunnies I have a bum bag that carries LedRay torch, spare batteries, first aid kit, tweezers ( for thorns) knife, pellets ( in a leather money purse, £2 off the market), length of 3mm paracord, heavy duty bin bag ( to sit on and carry dead bunnies in the car, and it also carries a 1/2 litre water bottle in a built in pouch!!!
    I also have a 2metre x 1 metre length of lightweight camo mesh that easily fits in my pocket. I put eyelets in it so I can build a quick makeshift hide if need be!
    My brother and I use a pair of miniature walkie talkies ( originally bought as a bike to bike intercom) with ear phones so that we can talk to each other when we go our separate ways on the fields or hiding up in separate hides!!!
    I sometimes take a forked Hazel stick to use as a rest AND to carry bunnies on my shoulder after I have "legged" them.

7. Donki Oaty

Donki Oaty Where's the time going?

Interesting! I get the Smell bit but where did you come up with the "Glow" theory?
    I not saying you're wrong as I don't actually know as to whether or not it does make your clothes "glow".

8. hobson

hobson Engaging Member

I think it's because animals can see UV stuff, so in theory you'd be more visible using anything which puts out or enhances UV light.

I know i could use the tape, i even camo painted my gun last year (because it needed re-varnishing anyway) which looks cool to people but doesn't really help it blend in! -especially when you're laid out in an open field! but i like to experiment with things, and have a nice workshop in which to fiddle (not that way!) so although i know there are 'ready made' solutions, i do think that each persons shooting and permission is different, so sometimes it's a case of personalising things for your unique shoot.

9. hobson

hobson Engaging Member

After a bit of research i can't find anything to suggest rabbits are affected by UV light, though they can see blue and green, and have better dawn and dusk vision than humans.

For the full details on Rabbit Vision have a look here: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/vision.html

10. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

But blasted pigeons can see it, trust me!

11. SteveB

SteveB Busy Member

In Fact........ The latest version of FUD Decoys for pigeons wing bars are painted with special UV paint/ink to make them more life like, apparently the feathers on pigeons reflect UV light.

12. Accuspell

Accuspell Major Poster

UV is widely used in nature. We can see it on:
    starlings
    magpies
    jays
    peacocks
    teal
    mallard
    pheasants
    rooks and crows

to name a few obvious ones.

Pigeons use UV, but it is less obvious to us. Nobody mentioned rabbits and UV,but there is far more Uv vision in nature than many people give credit for - especially underwater.

13. KibsWulf

KibsWulf Member

the hessian idea you used to tie bits to your existing rig is a good one, British Army snipers used it as part of their ghillie suits for a long time. Personally I would keep a few extra bits dyed Green/Brown so when hunting October-March you can add more Brown pieces in place of Green and vice versa through the greener part of the year. Also just jamming in a bit of foliage/grass etc from where you are stalking helps. Basically http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/PenCott-GreenZone-in-NZ-1.jpg this is good for summer but you try hiding in a wood mid January wearing the same rig.

14. Brianc

Brianc Busy Member

15. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

16. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

Here is my solution for camo on the rifle ;)

Simple and effective at low cost (less than a tenner). An off-cut peice of scrim net, cut to suit the scope. Then l stiched
    up the nose/mod end a little and just used buttons to secure it under/around the pod and thumbhole. The most expensive part is the die-cut J.Pyke leafs that l've threaded thru to give me the breakup l wanted (and still have half of these left over) :cool: goes on/off in seconds and raps up into a pocket easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

That's brilliant mate, well done!

18. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

Cheers mick, l've done a similar thing with another bit of scrim. Stitched some buttons onto a green hat and used
    a peice with the J.Pyke leafs threaded thru. But l suppose you could also do this with a scarf type affair that draipes
    over yo head/shoulders and easily removeable ;)

19. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

best camo known to man,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, jeep :up:
    walking for mugs and deer

20. jetski

jetski Keyboard Hero

I'm not trying to discourage creativity and I know you can make great camo gear with a very low cost but for anyone who would prefer to buy a purposely made suit this one is worth checking out at just £40. I have one and it really does the job nicely

http://www.camonets.com/en/ghillie-suits/85-woodland-camo-ghillie-suit.html

as far as the UV debate goes I don't subscribe to it. I believe the whole thing was started by companies trying to sell their "hunting" washing powder and old smelly men that don't like washing. I wash my camo gear with regular detergent and put it on a couple of extra rinse cycles to get the smell out and I have not experienced any problems that I could put down to my clothing. rabbits eye sight isn't very good and they are predominantly nocturnal so their receptiveness to UV light is unlikely to be of any significance. although birds have far better sight I still have not seen anything to suggest they are effected by UV light. the brightness of your clothing after washing is so minimal, Infact after regular washing the colours can only fade, we cannot see uv light so I don't see why anyone would design detergent that enhances the UV light reflectiveness. I'm not dismisses it but I do believe with the evidence I have that its simply a placebo effect. I have never had problems