1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

for all of your consideration (please read)

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by poisedshot, Jan 22, 2014.

?

Overall Opinions...

1. great website, i will help contribute content soon

33 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. nice website, though i wouldn't bother signing up

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. i dont see the point in an airguns reviews website

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. not interested in the site - good luck.

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. poisedshot

poisedshot Engaging Member

Hi guys,

I am slowly making an appearance on each forum that ive been a member of, and have sent out the same message to help people aware of the following :)

i love our sport which is airgunning and i've longed to give back to what is the airgun community, so i have built a new website which some of you may have already come across...

The concept was to create a central hub where we could locate reviews on products that are either airguns OR products related to airguns, scopes, mounts, pellets etc;
    The main focus being that "its not an online shop" and as it's not selling anything the site will hopefully generate reviews that are truly "trusted" - (specifically aimed to help individuals within the community pick the best kit for their application). I tend to find reviews within online shops a bit hard to believe as you cant tell if the're real or just there to help push the sale of certain products?

I would love to hear your honest opinions please guys, if you don't like it i wont be offended but please state why and if / what you would change to make it better.

http://www.airriflereviews.co.uk

Hope you guys like it,

cheers
    andy.

2. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

Who would be submitting the reviews?
    Would it be open for airgunners like ourselves to submit our thoughts and experiences?
    The trouble with the media and the related publications is everything is brilliant and the actual bad or quirky parts to rifles, scopes etc are never written about there.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  3. yorkshireshoot

yorkshireshoot Posting Addict

Looks good , will probably benefit new shooters better than experienced ones . I would imagine the reviews which have been submitted are kind of an overview of the product , would be nice to see some longer more in depth reviews but a good site overall thankyou .

4. smudgerii

smudgerii Busy Member

Are all reviews from users? Or are some from those with a commercial interest?

Happy to register either way, but would want some way of knowing the difference between a 'user' review and an 'infomercial'.

some layout issues if using an iPad btw

5. poisedshot

Thanks for the message, you might be correct in this especially as we are giving away two regulators as prizes, though having said that, we have recieved a few reviews already that are accurate to the reviewers feelings, i recall chrisjpainter writing a few reviews and not all of his have been 5 star ratings...

the more products i get on the site the better (registered users can submit product listings) i think its too early to tell whether people are only interested in rating their equipment only the top stars...

and yes anyone can write a review on the site, even those you arent registered, i made the site for people into airguns!!

6. yorkshireshoot

Must have taken a long time to make mate , I think it will help out people just getting into the sport so good on you for setting it up :)

7. poisedshot

Thanks Yorkshireshoot, i hope it does benefit new shooters, i was new once and trying to pick the right kit was a hassel, (and still is sometimes...) although older shooters may not benefit from this as much it would be of great use for them to share their knowledge - writing a review can surprisingly be good fun when you get into it, i think adding humour to the review and stamping your original way of writing makes the process for exciting!

i could also argue the point that alot of the older airgunners and comeptition goers share different opinions especially on their kit :)

glad you like the site though, im just hoping i didnt spend all this time making it for nothing hahaha, i guess its one of those things that if you dont try it, you will never know!

cheers
    andy

8. poisedshot

thanks for asking this smudgerii,

all of the reviews you see in green are from users that have submitted their own content, the reviews you see in orange are submitted by me (editorial reviews)
    the editorial reviews could be used for commercial purpose however they are not being used in this way as you see now, if you are referring to the robert lane listing i have just received my fx2000 back from him with a reg and tune up (which was paid for in full) and i will be reviewing that at some point too!

my main intention for this site is to make it useful for us as airgunners, if making this website commercial was to effect the content in a negative way i wouldn't feel like i was doing it for the community.

Having said that, the site does cost me to run and this comes out of my own pocket; so to help, i am offering allocated parts of the site for advertising to help recoup costs for the site storage / hosting.

it really is important to me that the reviews dont contain content that isnt accurate particularly if used in a commercial sense.

9. poisedshot

I cant even remember when i started this, its been up for a few months already, hence the poll on this thread... i guess i just want to know if the time and effort spent on this is actually going to be worth it in the long run.

thanks for your kind words, and yes its taken me months to get to a stage where it was suitable for the public (just me working on it) its given me quite a few headaches to boot as well!! lol

atb
    andy

10. yorkshireshoot

Just done a review for you mate ( don't think I'll make a journalist anytime soon :) ) hopefully a few members will do some reviews of their own and bulk up the site a bit ! Atb pal

11. poisedshot

A great review mate, touched on all the right points imo, the s410 is a great rifle and as you say particularly for either a first time buyer and or someone intending to use it as a tool. I had shot countless rabbits with mine, and being .177 didnt make a single difference.

how did you find the process when registering and uploading your review? and did you have fun doing it? (you can be honest! lol)

12. yorkshireshoot

All fairly straightforward mate really , I just struggle to put things into words ( more a talker than a writer ! ) and was trying to be impartial rather than blowing a trumpet for my particular rifle ! I was going to do one for my scope too but will do that another day ! All in all a good site mate I applaud anyone who does something for others and gives up their time . Cheers Adam

13. poisedshot

Great stuff Adam, and thanks for the kind words :D

When you come to reviewing your scope, and you find there isn't a suitable category for it, just send me an email and il sort one out... if there is a category already there, then you should be able to define the scope listing to its ideal spot on the site :up:

andy

14. mark112

mark112 Engaging Member

Hi,

Just sent in the review of my S400. Sorry but I do waffle a bit. Like the site and agree with others that it seems to be aimed at beginners more. Think a section on other matters would also suit starters to the sport looking at subjects such as:-

What is a power curve/sweet spot?
    Choosing a cylinder (232/300 3/7/9/12L etc)
    How to fill my rifle (keeps getting asked on forums I read so perhaps a clearer step by step general guide)
    Cylinder testing (maybe in your filling sites list if they do testing as well)
    How many fills from my tank (perhaps just pointers to online calculators or chairgun's inbuilt one)
    Choosing a scope (pros/cons of variable mag/PA/Sidewheel etc)
    Setting up a scope.
    Choosing a pellet/what is the best ammo etc (again asked every day on forums)
    Legal issues (not just 12ft.lbs one but age you can recieve/buy airguns etc)
    Gun Care
    Techspeak to english converter (i.e a dictionary of the jargon we all use which may be alien to someone starting in the sport)

A lot of the above issues seem to get asked time and time again so there is obviously still a need for this info. Forums usually do have the answers to these issues but it is often 'splattered' across various threads and is not easily to hand for newbies. Beginners do not often know enough 'terminology' to carry out effective searches on the forums so having this info in one place may be of some benefit.

Anyway, as I said I can (and do) waffle. Good luck with the site.

Mark (mark112 on AAOC and airgunforum.co.uk)

15. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Certainly has the potential to be a source of useful information for newcomers to the sport in the short term, and has the potential to be a valuable resource for more experienced shooters as the site grows. My hat goes off to you for establishing the site and whilst I appreciate that allocating parts for use by advertisers will go some way to help paying to maintain it, I would hate to see this expand to the point where it becomes 'annoying' as with some others that I won't mention (not AGF though :D)

Good luck and look forward to seeing new reviews as they are posted !

TH

16. yorkshireshoot

Nice review mate just read it then came back on here , you should work for the air gun magazines !

17. mark112

mark112 Engaging Member

Aw shucks :redface::redface::redface:

Thanks

18. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Sounds good, I have YouTube review channel which I did for a year in 2012-2013 but didn't do it too clinical But it still a pretty popular channel even though if this, so I'm always trying to improve it. I get through alot of kit and am always buying and selling (bought 25 air rifles in 3years so that's alot of accessories aswell, bought 5 scopes in the past 2weeks and sold 3 :)

Will be keeping an eye out, and may be able to help out, as I'm a user with alot of kit flowing through my hands

19. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Do you know Robert lane? I see your giving his regs away, I had his own s200 with one of his regs fitted (the one on youtube ) probably the most accurate pcp I've shot, 80shots in .177!

20. poisedshot

Some bloody great advice that, i think your dam right in producing some content strong articles that can help clear the basics up for those new to shooting...
    i will get around to having a deeper think about integrating this sort of thing and who knows we might be on to a winner - Having said that, would people rather everything on one site OR have a separate site (dedicated) for those types of articles? i just cant tell whether the reviews site is better off staying as a "reviews" site if you know what i mean?

ps I've just read your review on the s400, i'm astounded, i think you hit all the right notes on that one, its almost effortless the way you write...
    id even be tempted to put that in a hall of fame on the site :D

il be intouch soon when ive had more of a think

Andy.