1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Foolproof permission tips

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by DR2501, Sep 15, 2014.

1. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

So, I already have one definite permission and I'm due to meet with the owner of another this week. Thing is, they're both equestrian centres/stables and they both only want me to control magpies and rats. So, to give me the shot at different quarry I really want to add a farm to my list. Now directly behind my garden is a dual carriageway with a golf course alongside it (asked and refused). Right next to/behind the golf course is a nice, juicy farm! Now I've asked loads of farms for permission before in my local area and been turned down, but I've never asked this one. Why? Because I'm scared they'll say no and I'll lose any chance I have.

I know that's silly, as if I don't ask I don't get, and if I ask and they say no I don't get so I've got nothing to lose. But, in my experience farmers don't want to talk to you/hear what you have to say (or are downright rude lol), so I wanted to perfect my technique before approaching this one to give myself the best possible chance of securing it.

So, all of you that have permission on farms, what would be your top 3 tips for me, EXCEPT for the obvious ones I hope I've covered off below:

1. Dress smart/casual, no cammo etc
    2. Leave the rifle at home
    3. I have insurance
    4. I have business cards so that I look more serious
    5. I know the problems they have with vermin as I've looked -its a sheep farm, so corvids, plus I've seen lots of bunnies
    6. Be polite and genuine

I normally approach these scenarios with "Hi, I noticed you had some problems with vermin, I can help, totally free of charge etc" but as I say this hasn't worked in the past. I'm therefore tempted to be absolutely perfectly honest and just explain that this is my hobby and that I live about 150 yards from the farm so I can be there as much as needed to control the vermin. I'm not trying to cause problems or be a nuisance on their land I just want their permission to hunt there, and in exchange I'm happy to help out where I can. What do you think?

Sorry long post: TLDR -

No farm permissions, only magpies
    Want farm very close to house
    Approach hasn't worked in the past, so want tips above the usual/obvious ones please
    What do you think?

2. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Its tough getting anywhere to shoot, I get doorknocked a lot at this time of the year.

I think what is important to remember, that the landowner doesn't know you, anything about your intentions.

I've said this before, I believe one of the better ways forward is identify a specific problem, if you've seen a field that has a high rabbit population, flag this up and ask if you can control the rabbits on that one field. Its a more controlled approach, its so easy to just say 'No' to someone asking for the whole area.

Offer references from the other people you help out, either take them with you or hand contact details over. Maybe try this and ask them to think about it rather than putting the farmer on the spot.

'Hi, I don't know you, you don't know me, but can I shoot on your farm please?'

Doesn't sound as tempting as....

'I've seen lots of rabbit on this sheep pasture, I'm looking to get some land but finding it really difficult, would you give a trial on this one field and see if I can help?'

​Best of luck :up:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
  3. scottwood

scottwood Engaging Member

I would say just be confident there nothing worst then see some one walking up your drive with head down and looking lost. If they have time to talk ask them about there farm with a keen interest towards what they are saying. Don't go over board thought just some simple easy questions as people like it when others have an interest in what they do.
    Also ask them if they what a certain type of pest focused on for to help manage. As they know there own land better then anyone. Whenever I got to one of my permissions and see he landowner I always ask. Is there any specific pest they wish me to concentrate on. That shows you have an interest I helping them out and not just for your own interests. No point shooting a pest which they are not wanting management on. Hope this helps.

4. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned BANNED

Just be polite and confident. You don't have to be dressed up but don't look like a scruffy layabout atb

5. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

If he says he already has shooters on the land point out you are airrifle only and you can shoot where his other shooters are not able too.
    You could work together with his existing guys he would not need to be involved.
    If he says there is a game shoot on the land ask for the gamekeepers number.
    Cheers Andy

6. harry brown

harry brown Banned BANNED

Personally, in your position I'd open up with 'Hi I live just across the road' (whilst pointing in the direction of you home) Everytime I speak to new farmers they seem to be more concerned about where I'm from than anything else. That way they instantly know something positive about you, rather than having to squeeze that info from you.
    Fortunately I live in a very well known good area in my city and it calms them down instantly when I tell them.

7. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

You may have a point, in the one decent conversation I've managed to have with a farmer he did ask me where I was from and seemed keen to know the answer.

8. Aussiethunder

Aussiethunder Engaging Member

9. harry brown

They're all the same. I think they're worried you might run off with the missus...Or worse still the new tractor/havester.

10. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Haha nowhere to park it - either one ;)

11. Donki Oaty

Donki Oaty Where's the time going?

I was just going to say this . Being local always helps. Also mention that you are silent air rifle as he will not like his livestock being spooked.

12. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

It's a shame that you and many others struggle to get permission for our great sport/hobby :(. I can't help too much with advice as I was lucky enough to have been close friends with two farmers sons since we were 6 years old and one in particular as I was always up the farm every chance I got when we were younger as you may know from my other posts on the forum. 28 years later, and he has not held it against me that we lost touch (my fault) and we have become good friends recently all over again. I now shoot 500 acres and he has 800 more he owns that he may let me shoot as well some day.

I have also been in touch with another old school friend farmer and he has already said yes too, although we weren't as close friends as the other farmers son. He has a local landfill (rubbish dump) and a large woodland/forestry area I can shoot on anytime, but he said he won't allow shooting where any of his stock are. It's another approx 250 -300 acres but I haven't been there yet as I am on my mate's 500 acres too much. I must go there soon in case I lose it lol :rolleyes:.

I used to drive for a RFD/Farm supplies company between 17 and 20 years old. I met 100's of farmers in those 3 years so I know farmers well and asking/getting permission back then came easy, too easy in fact and I had to stop asking in no time as I had too much land to cover. They knew me very well, trusted me and that's how I got permission so easily.

Assuming most farmers haven't changed too much in the years I've been out of the sport and I don't think they have :rolleyes:, here's my input on this matter.

Don't worry about dressing too tidily. Most of them are hard working, scruffy b******* themselves and usually walk around in ripped jumpers and jeans/trousers (barbed wire and brambles are a bummer) lol and I always found when asking they couldn't give a toss what you were dressed like :D. Just try not to look too much like a "townie" or "them city folk leaving our gates open, mutter, curse etc" and you'll be fine lol.

If you look like "one of 'em tree hugger/eco warrior types" I feel sorry for you and you may want to ditch all the "jewellery" off your face before knocking on that door ;). Most farmers, especially older generation really "don't get" that sort of thing at all lol, and it's a quick way to get told to b****r off my land and don't come back :D. Someone said that a lot of farmers are more concerned with things like, "So, are you a local boy or what? and do I know your family and where are they from etc?". THIS is often very, very true and important I always found ;). Farmers live in near isolation most of their lives remember apart from "going to mart", "livestock movement" "off down the farmers supplies store" and "down the local for a belly full of best ale" :D, so they do like a bit of gossip themselves ;). But, they can spot a bullshi**er or liar several miles away so be yourself AND ALWAYS be HONEST. Their isolation does not make them stupid. Far from it in fact!

Also beware driving up to lots of farms. Farmers have dogs, and then they have dogs ;). The dogs, (Usually but not always, Border Collies) are always with them in the Landrover are working dogs and friendly and may well lick you to death. The other "dogs" sometimes chained up, if you're lucky, but not always, will have the arse out of your strides before you've dragged yourself back into your car a bleeding wreck of your former self, and slammed your door on the viscious bas*****. So just be careful ;) and maybe let the farmer come out to you first. Trust me, if the farmer is home, they ALL KNOW that you're in their yard ;).

Even as well as I got to know some of them, I got turned down a few times too. Here were the reasons as I seem to remember. (It's been 28 years lol) Don't forget, I was asking for use of my SHOTGUNS back then, not the air rifle I use at the moment!!!!

1: This a regular one. "Sorry boy", but we have had a few local lads here we have known for years and it wouldn't be fair to them.

2: Nothing here worth shooting mate, b****r all here, mixi got all the little b*****s (last one usually said with a wink and a sly grin :D.

3: Said to me once by a farmers wife. What, you shoot rabbits? What for? Sorry but no, I wouldn't want that, while calling her husband over and saying, "this boy is asking to shoot rabbits on the land Gareth" :D. "Gareth comes over, looks at me and lifts his eyes to the ceiling and whispers to me, "I married one of them girls from down the road there in the local village, and she don't like killing stuff see". But I love her see, so what can I do? Sorry boy, but its no.

4: I can't stand that ***t you work for and I only had this stuff as a one off as I was desperate for it and it couldn't be put off. So sorry, but no chance lol :D.

5: Let me have a think about it. Give me your number and I'll give you a ring sometime next week. Some do, most don't.

Last tip. A lot of farms, especially the smaller ones (300 acres or less) are really struggling to make a living out of it these days. Most are still doing just about ok I would say. However, ALL FARMERS without exception always moan about money and some are so tight you wouldn't believe it lol. If HE engages you about "the struggle to make it pay these days", hang onto his every word and nod your agreement to his "plight". When he says things like "Couldn't survive without EU Subsidies see boy" agree wholeheartedly and join in with things like "I think the farmers are getting a raw deal all round" etc etc. You get my meaning. You'll be hearing, "now about that shooting permission you want" in no time flat and become an instant friend lol :D. Or maybe not :p.

You said that you've been turned down by a lot of farmers and the local golf course. Would be interested in hearing what the farmers told you if you can remember and don't mind?

Good luck with that Farm, steel yourself before heading up that drive, but just be yourself and think/speak clearly and have a rough idea what you want to say and go over it again and again in your mind before having the guts to go do the deed ;):D. Maybe this could be the lucky one eh?

Andy :)

EDIT: Sorry, I kept scrolling up and went for a p*** several times and didn't realise I had typed all that :eek:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  13. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

The golf course was fine, they gave me a call and apologised but said they have someone shooting rimfire on the course so don't need anyone else.

The farmers, except one, said no before I'd even finished talking, no explanation given. The only one I spoke to had already said no but he explained that he liked to let falconers do his pest control as he liked watching the birds of prey. I can understand that so we chatted for a few minutes, but it was still a no.

Equestrian folk I find much more approachable and receptive. I have no idea why!

14. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

It's so they can tell their acquaintances and friends when asked about "those disgusting rats around the place", "Oh that's no problem, I have my man around once a week to take care of all that". :D. Some of those folks are er, a little "snobby" to say the least on times, but many are nice enough people too I know :)

Andy :)

15. harry brown

Hahah Yeah I love telling my farmers how hard they have it! That is the only conversation they'll happily spend time talking about. Whilst the brand new range rover sits in the dutch barn and the footing for the massive house extension are being laid. Whilst the kids are scrabbling about on new quad bikes and at least ten tractors are rotting behind the barns.
    Still they always seem to be a good sort. If I go into their local (Not often) I feel like some sort of bloody hero after the fuss they make of me. Next day I'm lucky if they even nod!

16. themadspread

themadspread Donator

all farmers i find are as tight as a camels arse in a sand storm so try to get in early about how much money your (free)services could save him.mention things like corvids eating all the cow and sheep nuts when there barned up in the winter.vets fees when stock breaks a leg in a rabbit holehow with a air rifle you can shoot quietly without spooking his stock how your gun wont damage his barns like a rf cf or shotgun.but the most important thing is dont get to down at a refusal because without doubt all farmers are the most miserable people on gods earth.

17. Largerider

Largerider Posting Addict

Let them know the service you offer is free it will cost them nothing and in return you can also keep an eye on his property when ever you are onsite for instance you can let him know about any damaged fences down or sick livestock or any other problems you may come across.

18. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Thanks, all good suggestions and I'll try to make those points, it's tricky when they hardly let you explain though!

19. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

There is another way : find some blond with huge ****. Ask her to visit the farm and ask for permission to use her airgun on the property. The farmer will say yes without fail. Then let a couple of days pass, then go to the farm with her airgun {which is actually yours} and just go to the nearest hedge and wait for some action.

When the farmer eventually comes across to ask what the bloody hell you are doing, {and this is the clever bit} You say, Nora 'with the lungs' couldn't make it, but she asked you to pop along instead just so as to keep in with the permission. Spin him some yarn, that she is going to come back and visit him later in the month.

I reckon that should work, provided you pay a right tasty sort to visit in the first place.

So good luck, and do us a favour, post some pics of the lass, should you decide to go ahead with my idea. :up: KB1

20. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

If your property is close enough try this. It worked for me.
    Approach /ring asking for permission to retrieve woodies you have shot but managed to land his side of fence. Contact him informing him you have noticed gates open, wrong uns knocking about, stray livestock, damaged fence etc, anything that he would appreciate. Later say rabbits are damaging your garden and you would be grateful if he let you access his land where the warren is and there is a bottle of malt in it for him.