1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Flashaholics Show Us Yours....

Discussion in 'Torches and Flashlights' started by Jagdwaffen, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Jagdwaffen

Jagdwaffen Suns up guns up

I wouldn't call myself a real flashaholic but I do love a good torch and I thought it might be interesting to see what other forum members are using and why.......so show us yours if your minded too.

I love a good flashlight but only have a few, although if I could I'd buy more.:D

LED emitters have come on massively over the last several years and there are some amazing torches to be had with impressive specs and outputs. Some of the top end manufactures have torches that cost as much as a good springer :eek:

Anyways....I like a good EDC for general purpose use and use a Thrunite Archer 1a V3 which is AA powered and therefore the batteries are always easily obtained. It's not a massively bright flashlight but will throw out 200lumens, and from a compact unit is more than enough for general purpose use I think, garage, shed, attic, house etc.

Specs for the Thrunite Archer
    * LED: CREE XP-L V6 LED with a lifespan of 20+ years of run time
    * Run time and modes available
    * Firefly: 0.1lumen (17days);
    * Low: 17lumen (22hours);
    * Medium: 75lumen (5hours)
    * High: 200lumen (115minutes);
    * Strobe: 200lumen (3.5hours).
    * Max output: 200lumens using one Ni-Mh AA battery.
    * Max run time: 17days (Firefly mode)
    * Battery: 1 AA
    * Max beam distance: 66 meters.
    * Peak beam intensity: 1088cd.
    * Impact resistant: 1.5 meters.
    * Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard (1.5meters)
    * Weight: 42g without battery
    * Dimensions: 110mm in length, 23mm bezel diameter.

image.jpeg

It fits in the pocket with ease and is a solid build and can put up with a fair bit of heavy use. I think it's great to hold in the hand and perfectly balanced with an AA battery inside and quite ergonomic too for such a small torch. There is a knurled section on the casing for grip and it has a mode button on the side as well as a tail button for on/off. There are four normal modes, firefly, low, medium and high. There is also a strobe mode which is the high mode but in strobe. I like the Firefly mode as not all torches have this handy option.

Its not a new torch by any means and has been around a while now but I'd recommend them for an EDC that can stand up to some punishment with its solid build quality. They are not expensive to buy at all, approx £30 depending where you look, I'd recommend them.

I also have a Klarus XT12GT LED flashlight which is just a belting big thrower with a real tactical feel and look. It has a real punch to its beam and has a good flood too with 1600lumens. The specs suggest a 603m throw using the CREE XHP35 HI D4 LED, not sure about that but it's a big thrower :cool:

20191121_172925.jpg

The length is 16.15cm and the head diameter is 4.25cm in width and the body diameter is 2.45cm. This could be used as a rifle torch attached to your scope although I've never tried it. The weight is good too at 159 grams without the 18650 battery. The torch has a good rugged silver strike bezel at the business end, I should imagine it would do some damage if used in a strike to the face, in self defence of course. :confused:

20191121_173055.jpg

There are two settings to choose from, outdoor and tactical. The outdoors setting is probably better for most people and the one I normally use if I'm honest. The outdoors setting provides one touch turbo and one touch low as well as SOS.

20191121_173029.jpg

If you push the primary switch (power switch or tail switch) half way down it will give you momentary turbo, and then if you push the button all the way it will go into turbo mode.

20191121_173107.jpg

The output and run times on the XT12GT are great in my opinion.
    * Turbo mode: 1600 lumens for 1.2 hours
    * High mode: 400 lumens for 4 hours
    * Medium mode: 100 lumens for 14 hours
    * Low mode: 10 lumens for 200 hours
    * Strobe mode: 1600 lumens for 2.4 hours
    * SOS mode: 100 lumens for 43 hours

20191121_173205.jpg

This is a cracking torch and I think made better by its charging method. You do not have to take the 18650 battery out to charge it, although you can if you wish. The Klarus has an external magnetic USB charging cable which attaches to the brass circle on the shaft. This reduces the risk of water ingress, some torches have USB ports on the shaft with rubber covers which over time can perish and will enable water to get inside the electronics. You can submerge this torch in water without worrying at all. No issues at all outside in terrible wet weather.

I also have a Night Master NM800 which I'm sure many of you will be familiar with if your shooting at night or low light. You can buy different coloured LED's, green, red, white and IR and the throw and flood on these are just superb. It has a large convex lens for long range illumination for spotting at night.

20191121_173410.jpg

The NM800 has a focusable beam so you can adjust for different distances and the flood can be narrowed and widened. It comes with its own charger, rechargeable 18650 battery, scope mount and rats tail.

20191121_173440.jpg

20191121_173425.jpg

I believe, although not 100% convinced, it has an 800m throw?? Anyways it's an absolute belter and so modular as you can change LED's and also it comes with an extender to make it longer allowing 2 X 18650 batteries to be used.

20191121_173435.jpg

Finally I have a Nebo Big Larry in black, they are a great torch with COB technology, giving out 400lumens of bright light. COB stands for Chips on Board which is a more modern lighting technology.

IMG-20191119-WA0003.jpg

It also has a secondary light mode which is a lower 160 lumens as well as an emergency red flash mode (handy if your in the car without power). It is made of anodised aluminium much like most modern torches today, it's not a tactical torch at all, more of a handy useful torch for the car or around the house.

IMG-20191119-WA0004.jpg

One good thing is it has a great magnetic base which can be used to suspend or attach the torch to any magnetic surface (bonnets, car panels etc). These are a real bargain at the moment and can be bought from screw fix for £10.20!!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  2. Jagdwaffen

3. foxtrott

foxtrott I'll be back

I've got a mini mag lite Pro that's really good also a cree rechargeable which is what I used to mount on a scope also good

Jagdwaffen likes this.
  4. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

I've lost my archer....great little torches.

I am currently using a nitecore P12 - nice torch, wish it had a focus - but not a deal breaker.

On the key ring I have a nitecore tube.

Jagdwaffen likes this.
  5. Jimmypie

Jimmypie Pffft , Pop , Twang , Bang

I have a few , I’ll round them up :)

foxtrott and Jagdwaffen like this.
  6. Cinimod

Cinimod Posting Addict

IMG_0666.JPG
    ........Dom

Oooopppppsssss, wrong forum. Ok, I'll get my hat and take my leave:facepalm::oops:

ajs1981, Bagster66, Kadushu and 9 others like this.
  7. Cinimod

Cinimod Posting Addict

We have some really good little pocket torches for locking up with at work in the winter months. Not sure what make but have a good pencil beam as well as flood light effect............dom

Jagdwaffen likes this.
  8. Jagdwaffen

Nice foxy they are a great slim torch for mounting on top of your scope......are they about 250lumens ? I've never had one but they get decent reviews :thumb:

9. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

I'm no longer into torches, I obviously have a few, but when I used to do cave diving it was a life saver and only top end would do. The Salvo 21/35W lights were world renowned before LED came along, it was just in it's infancy back then and was like a candle next to these beasts: https://www.divestock.com/light-monkey-35w-hid

Today I'd definitely go LED, the old Salvo above was massive and very heavy, I used to have to count it towards my buoyancy calculations but could get away without including the other two smaller LED back up torches which got stashed for emergencies.

On the plus side, it looked like you had a light sabre in anything other than crystal clear water which you only got in the underground springs in perfect conditions :D

Howlin Wolf and Jagdwaffen like this.
  10. Jimmypie

Jimmypie Pffft , Pop , Twang , Bang

I got this yesterday , so that’s a start on my contribution :p

I do like my lumens

EA340382-E81A-471B-A995-F1F4478A92DD.jpeg

11. Jagdwaffen

Yes they are a cracking EDC light Tim the Archer....cheap as chips too for what you get.

Nitecore however are such a good brand, they make quality torches and the P12 is a belter. You get very high output from a compact torch, 900lumens I think Tim isn't it. I like the tactical ring too which is always a bonus I think. :thumb:

12. Jagdwaffen

I must say I know very little about torches made specifically for underwater diving.....other than they ain't cheap.

13. 2506sendero

2506sendero Legend in his own mind & living on the edge.

:facepalm:

:p

:D

Jimmypie and Jagdwaffen like this.
  14. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

Yeah it’s somewhere around there - 4 settings, I generally have it on 2 and if I want to light the whole area up stick it on 4. I do like the 18650’s, and I think my next one will have usb charging.

I bought the headlight band but have never used it in anger yet.

Now where is that archer? :D

Jagdwaffen likes this.
  15. Jagdwaffen

Lumens are a bit like joules or foot pounds :rolleyes:

Very nice Jim....love Olights, they are so well made. You'll have to let us know what the UI is like once you get a chance matey. Very nice :thumb:

2506sendero likes this.
  16. Popgun

Popgun Donator

I was gifted a Lil Larry & its excellent,3 x AAA & all the attributes of its big brother, i use it every night trip & the batteries last for ever

Jagdwaffen likes this.
  17. stew87

stew87 Certified

I use a few for work recently purchased a fenix ld30 which is brilliant as an EDC torch and lives quite happily in my work trousers every day, super easy to use and very bright on demand when you work with electricity you get used to being in the dark and need a good torch.

My go to head torch is a nitecore hc65 nice and light and lots of light modes depending on the requirement,

And my see everything in the next three fields including that pair of shining eyes in the distance is the LED lenser x21r great for seeing the overhead lines in the middle of the night. Little on the heavy side but super robust and gives off a hell of a lot of lumens.

i have a couple of the big larry torches as well they are great super cheap very robust and the magnet will literally stay attached to anything metal at any angle.

Jagdwaffen likes this.
  18. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Simply knock off the last zero on the price and it's about what it's worth for a surface equivalent! :oops:

WR14210 likes this.
  19. Jagdwaffen

They are a belting little flashlight Pop.....and only £6.99 @ screw fix at the moment....a no brainer in my book o_O

20. Jagdwaffen

Take a look at some of the magnetic charging flashlights Tim....only as the rubber plugs can either perish or snap off after time and your left with a USB hole that can be a weak spot for moisture.