1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

fixing gun cabinet to wall, semi detached house?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by mattgriff88, Feb 15, 2014.

1. mattgriff88

mattgriff88 Busy Member

Hi, i live in a semi detached house that was built in 2011.
    I need to fix a cabinet to a wall and was hoping to put it on to the wall separating the 2 houses.

I have drilled a small hole to find out whats behind the plasterboard, Basically I have around a 1 inch thick plasterboard and then a 12/13 inch cavity filled with what looks like insulation like the stuff you have in a attic.

I have poked a metal rod through and im hitting a solid wall after 12/13 inches which is either my next door neighbours plaster board or concrete block or brickwork.

Any idea if there is a concrete block separating the 2 houses or do new builds only have a cavity filled with insulation?

Thanks

2. reaper6

reaper6 Banned

Put it on a outside wall in a modern house it will usually mean that its breeze block....no worries though use a chemical fixer for your anchor bolts and it should be fine

3. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

is it a brick built house or a timberframe house with brick rain screen? If its the latter your party wall will be two leaves of timber frame clad with plasterboard and mineral fibre insulation in between. If you have a timber frame house your only option is to anchor to the timber studs as i would recommend plasterboard fixings for a gun cabinet

4. themadspread

themadspread Donator

if your house is dot and dabbed behind it your jack wall (dividing wall)should be a 9 inch concreete block laid flat on its back unless its timber framed.

5. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

Anything is possible with modern builders, the best thing is to make a proper hole & check it out - & hope you don't end up next door...

If there is some blockwork in there, you can put in rawl bolts or whatever without falling foul of the Party Walls Act, but Reaper6 has a good point - is that the only suitable wall you have?

6. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

He is going to struggle with rawl bolts if its 12-13 inches between the pb and the block. Normally dot and dab would be less than an inch to the block and if its insulated and battened it would be no more than 3 or so inches. i thick its most likely to be a timber frame party wall even if its a brick construction. If there was a foot to the blockwork on both sides of the wall then thats alot of wasted floor space in the average house.

7. mattgriff88

mattgriff88 Busy Member

I was planning on chemical fixing threaded bar with resin.

yeah it is the only place suitable to be honest, im going to drill a bigger hole I think and have a proper look as mentioned.

cheers

8. mattgriff88

mattgriff88 Busy Member

Definetley plasterboard and then 12inch cavity filled with insulation and im now expecting it is my neighbours plasterboard im hitting.

Its shocking to be honest thinking thats all separating me and my neighbour is 2 sheets of plasterboard and some loft insulation.

9. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

perfectly normal but dont go drilling no exploratory holes through into their bedroom;)

10. mattgriff88

mattgriff88 Busy Member

Lol funny you should say that as I was going to drill as i though there was definitely some block or brick then I thought I better not just in case, im sure my neighbour wouldn't be best pleased haha

11. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

plaster board fixings and coach bolts to the floor. mines fine FEOs happy and its solid

12. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

Good idea if its a solid floor. If its timber frame then you will most likely only have 18mm chipboard and I joists to fix to which isnt that solid.

13. mattgriff88

mattgriff88 Busy Member

there is good odds that there is only a sheet of cardboard seperating upstairs and downstairs going on the walls.

14. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

You might be lucky, it might be corrugated cardboard:D

15. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Do not forget if it's a Fire Arm , Most Fire Arms Officers seem to want to stated where it Should be located -

Mine is a old house - Lifted floor boards and put in concrete Base - which we secured it in bottom and back

BOB/R

16. Chinnymonster81

Chinnymonster81 Busy Member

Does your ground floor have a concrete base? If so use a downstairs cupboard and fix to the floor. Then use another set of more appropriate anchors for the wall They will stop it rocking but the floor will supply the solid fix (unless you have the space to lay it flat), modern houses are rubbish for fixing anything securely to a wall. I hate my 1890's Victorian house but at least I know I have brickwork under the crap plaster.

17. Chinnymonster81

Chinnymonster81 Busy Member

They only need to put a nine inch dividing wall in, you probably have a timber frame divider with no blockwork, especially as you are going 12 inches before hitting something that seems solid. It's possible you have 12 inches of insulation each side and a solid block in the middle but very unlikely as that is a huge amount of space to loose as someone else mentioned. My Nans old 1950's prefab was the same. You could hear next door tear their toilet paper. One good kick and you're in nextdoors house. They don't build dividing walls anymore for security as you don't expect your neighbour to smash down the wall to get inside your house.

18. danlightbulb

danlightbulb Engaging Member

Modern houses are a joke, really are. The internal walls in my house are only about 3" thick and hollow, no chance of fixing anything to them.

But to discover that you don't even have a solid dividing wall between two houses, well that's just awful it really is. Based on what I have read here, I think if I ever bought a new build house I'd be asking for the construction drawings before purchase.

19. mattgriff88

mattgriff88 Busy Member

drilled a test hole to the outside wall.

There is a 1inch plasterboard, 10 inch cavity filled with insulation, a sheet of chipboard, 2 inch cavity, brickwork.

the brickwork is only 1 layer wide so no blockwork at all.

not what I was expecting.

20. EULA1965

EULA1965 Engaging Member

Use long lengths of studding, chemical anchored in,only prob you need long tube on chemical anchor resin gun, so will loose abit, or reinforce wall with big battens each side and in between foe coach bolts, thev platerboard must be fixed to something so theres a starting point