1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Fitting More Than 2 In The Magazine Using Shorter Shells?

Discussion in 'Shotguns (SGC)' started by c4four, Nov 2, 2018.

1. c4four

c4four Active Member

Has anyone done this/ would it be legal? Are there any places in the UK which sell short shells?

2. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer LOW BELLEND THRESHOLD

what i generally do is saw them in half and re crimp them and then you can get 5 in.

3. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark NOW PERMANENTLY BORED!

No it wouldnt be legal!

mmamonster likes this.
  4. Vasbyt

Vasbyt Resident Slipjoint Junkie

On a section 2 SGC, a big no no. Unless you want to spend some time at her majesties pleasure

less powder less shot, why bother?

Edit: also with the change in power of the shell would it cycle properly in order to eject and load the next cartridge?

5. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Many section 2 guns fit three factory shells in the mag.
    A pump .410 or semi auto will take 3 factory two inch shells.
    A semi or pump 31/2 inch chambered gun in 12 bore will take 3 two and a half inch factory shells.
    The guns have been tested for complying with uk mag restrictions so ok.

Sky likes this.
  6. c4four

c4four Active Member

why would it be illegal, since I would not be modifying the gun, and which thing would make it illegal? (i.e having shorter shells, putting shorter shells in etc)

7. Vasbyt

Vasbyt Resident Slipjoint Junkie

1. So what I always took from the mess that is UK firearms legislation was this:

A shotgun is a section 2 firearm provided you can't fit more than 2+1 of the proofed cartridge , of course if you have a 3.5" proofed gun you could of course put more than two smaller size cartridges in the magazine but by doing so start getting yourself in a grey area legality wise. "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

Advice on various firearms licensing departments such as Durham and Cheshire state 'conventional size cartridges' If your talking about mini shells such as Aguila and the like they aren't what I could call conventional size cartridges..

I'm no licensing expert so why don't you go and ask BASC or your local constabulary for advice? then you can come back and tell us the correct answer.

8. r10hunter

I don’t think you would be doing anything wrong.

The law says section two shotguns must be approved by the proof house as restricted to two shots in the mag tested and marked as such.
    This is at maximum shell length for the guns chamber.
    As long as the gun has obtained the correct permissions and marks from the proof house it’s a legal section 2.

There is no where in law or guidance that I have seen that says you can’t put shorter shells in the magazine.

By Putting shorter shells in you reduce the over all payload.
    3x three and a half inch shells. 189g of shot.
    4x two and a half inch shells.
    128g of shot.

3 x .410 three inch 54g of shot. 4x .410 two inch 36g of shot.

So probably a grey area that would never be worth new clarifying legislation.
    The purpose of the law is to reduce potential damage from criminal misuse if the gun is so used, not to stop someone putting an extra small ratting cartridge in.
    So I can’t see it being an issue.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  9. TERRY101

TERRY101 Member

Get caught and then let us know what happened.

metalman likes this.
  10. Arran-ashley

Arran-ashley Member

Shotguns which have barrels shorter than 24 inches, or which are capable of firing more than three shots without reloading, are not to be held on an SGC. They are dealt with under the FAC provisions.

This has been taken from my local gun club.
    So I’d say at a guess it would be illegal if caught. Why not just get an FAC shotgun? And save the hassle of modifying cartridges or the gun itself?

11. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Has anyone had their guns tested by authority?
    Ideal time of course is on a SGC renewal! Recently had mine and feo was only interested in serial numbers and security. I could have had a semi which held five and he would not have known. The tubes could also be swopped in minutes it's not a gunsmiths job.
    Also of course to test on a renewal you would have to have dummy cartridges, cant see loading live ones for instance in your bedroom would go down well.:)

12. rizla1

rizla1 hi

My beretta extrema will take 4 shells but i always stick to 3 for safty reasons, i dont wanna go leaving 1 in there by mistake

13. The burpster

The burpster Posting Addict

....and neither will any of us until something goes wrong and then every firearm you own will be examined. By someone that has an encyclopaedic knowledge of firearms? Highly unlikely in my experience.

Put simply, don’t draw attention to yourself and you won’t fall foul of the law.

I can relate quite a few stories I have collected over the years but none have resulted in a prosecution. FEOs are there to make sure nothing is obviously wrong and that is the extent of most of their knowledge. Contrary to common belief they are not the font of all knowledge and actually more often than not they are not involved in shooting and it would appear Licensing departments do not want employees that are involved in shooting sports.

14. r10hunter

ALL of our guns have been tested to ensure they comply with the law.

They all have proof house approval stamps don’t they ?

The act does not say how many cartridges you are allowed to put in. But that all section 2 shotguns must be tested to ensure they comply with the restrictions on capacity and may not be modified.

If the proof house chooses to decide that a 3 1/2 inc chamber gun is legal.
    Even though it will fire 3 cartridges of 3 1/2 inches or 4 cartridges of 2 1/2 inches.
    That is not the problem of the end user. The proof house decides it’s legal so it is.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  15. Arran-ashley

Arran-ashley Member

There all proof stamped, but putting them through a proof house, is to make sure That the barrels don’t bulge or bend under excessive load, basically a stamp to say its fit for purpose.

But Putting more than 2 short cartridges into the magazine of a Section 2 3" or 3.5" gun is breaching the legislation and therefore is illegal?

16. The burpster

The burpster Posting Addict

It’s fairly clear that it will be a matter for the courts to decide so as I see it, take a chance and get caught, then explain to the courts.

Attached Files:

17. r10hunter

Lol Go read the legislation and check who is responsible for certifying shotguns as section 2

It only says the gun must be certified as section 2 ( 2+1 ) compliant not what you can or can’t put in it as an end user.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Arran-ashley likes this.
  18. c4four

c4four Active Member

If the gun can hold 3 in the mag, that's still 1 more than intended

19. rizla1

rizla1 hi

I only put 2 in the mag and 1 in chamber

20. Arran-ashley

Arran-ashley Member

Spoke to my local RFD, r10hunter, you are right so my apologies! he said that a 3.5” chambered semi is designed for using 3.5” cartridges and only 3.5” but there’s no law stating to use only 3.5” and as a loop hole, you can load smaller cartridges in and gain 1 more cartridge whilst still being a section 2, and said the same about proofing. He also went on to say that some FEO’s would class it as a section 1. But it would vary from person to person?
    Altho for me, my Benelli super Vinci won’t load 3in the tube, So it must be different tolorences from gun to gun? Or manufacturers?
    But then this said, I’d just use my section 1 Benelli if I need more than 3 shots :) less hassle lol

r10hunter likes this.