1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

First Timer Advice

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Steve10, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Steve10

Steve10 Member

Hi guys,

I have just bought my first rifle, an S410 TDR with a Hawke Eclipse 4-16x50 scope and silencer. I have noticed that everyone seems to upgrade or customize their guns to improve their performance and was looking for the best ways to improve mine. I'm totally new to the shooting scene and would really appreciate any feedback or advice you can give me. Ideally Its for rabbit hunting if that makes any difference? Thanks

2. andy46

andy46 Donator

you shouldnt need to anything to a s410 for hunting,maybe a regulator if it doesnt have one,to improve the shot count.iv had mine for a few years and done nothing to it at all,and its put some good game in the freezer,like duck/rabbit/woodies/hare/pheasant.

3. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

Practice practice practice
    Get to the range and put a few days of practice in before you spend money customising it mate as you may not get on with it, and using it on live quarry :up:

4. Steve10

Steve10 Member

Practice is definitely needed! reading good hunting tips is the next step. Do you prep your rifle for a specific range before you go, then camp a burrow at roughly that range? and do you need to change the elevation on the scope every time you fire at different ranges? or if you zero your sight at 10m will it be accurate at 40? Thanks for the help guys

5. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

I zero my rifles at 35yds and get used to judging how far that range is
    If you download chair gun it will give you all the info and aim points you need
    if you are out static hunting try set up DOWN WIND of the warren you I tend shooting
    Wait for the rabbits to come out and don't take the first one you see (this will be hard not to do at first trust me) let a few come out and venture a bit from the burrow and then take the shot if you kill the rabbit you've always got the chance of a second

6. Steve10

Steve10 Member

Thanks BB thats awesome, I will do the same and give it a go.

7. bunny basher

bunny basher Engaging Member

hi mate i went out with mine last week for the first time and i must say that i was very impressed had the scope zero at 20y and found that the 2 rabbits took out at 50y just needed 1mil dot over and was relay accurate i had 4 rabbits and a crow in ten shots not to bad for my first time out hunting with this gun

8. Steve10

Steve10 Member

I would probably run around the field if i hit a rabbit at 50yards! I take it that the 1mil dot is the first dot above the centre? My scope confuses the heck out of me so far.

9. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

First dot below Steve as you're aiming further than your zero
    Seriously mate have a look on chair gun espacially if it's a .22 as the .22 has a much more pronounced arc than the .177 that flies a lot flatter and doesn't need as much 'hold over/under' as .22
    hope this helps mate
    atb, Bryan

10. Steve10

Steve10 Member

Thanks Bryan, I've downloaded chair gun and I'm just watching a youtube video on it so I know what I'm looking at. is there a preferred pellet for my gun?

11. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

Get a selection mate and try a few I used to use RWS superfields in my s410 and they were spot on
    however when my mate had his 410 his prefered AA field ??
    its just a suck it and see one I'm afraid
    once you've found which it likes try and buy a few tins from the same batch

12. Steve10

Steve10 Member

Guess the best thing I can do is zero it to 30m and get out there and try my luck. I'm going to buy an air cylinder tomorrow, as i dive anyway it kills two birds. (no pun intended) :)

13. wolfman

wolfman Newbie

Hi im totally new to air rifles and air rifle hunting. i have a SMK Custom B2 .22 with a
    4 x 32 Nikko Sterling scope..last year i went out hunting rabbits a couple of times and got absolutely nothing,i got a few rabbits in my sights but hit nothing..at first i thought i was just a Censored shot,but on thursday i took a few shots down my back garden at an empty cereal box,i was not hitting on target at all...so i invited my mate over (who has owned a few air rifles over the years plus ex forces) to get his opinion..he tried to re-zero the scope whilst taking shots down the garden...he says he doesnt know and to keep trying to tinker with the sights.

Wolfman

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  14. wolfman

wolfman Newbie

......by the way,the pellets im currently using are
    Milbro Spitfire Pellets, would they be good to hunt with?

15. lewis850

lewis850 Keyboard Hero

steve is the tdr .22 ?? i have a little oest pack you can have ?

16. nottzlad24

nottzlad24 Member

i have an smk synxs i was using the iron sight on it on my back yard i filled a coke bottle up with water and i missed every shot

17. wolfman

wolfman Newbie

i put my above post on the hunting life forum and i got this reply back..

''I had the exact same problem with my webley.It turned out to be the bit under the barrel that sort of locks it in (im not sure what it is called).it turned out to be a quick and easy thing to fix.''

so it looks like i might as well take it back to the shop where i bought it to see if they can zero it properly for me.

Wolfman

18. Steve10

Steve10 Member

Hey Lewis, it is a .22 :) I had some fun in the garden today, seems like a really accurate gun. Does anyone know anything about camera mounts? are they universal? if so can you recommend one?

19. Irvysan

Irvysan Posting Addict

20. Steve10

Steve10 Member

Irv you're a star, Its so easy to spend money on all the little extras lol