1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

First time firing a PCP - any more accurate than a springer?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Dag, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

At the club range and shooting at the attached target over 35m yesterday when I mentioned that I had never fired a PCP. Within a few minutes a fellow member produced his Air Arms S510 for me to try out. What a lovely rifle, light to handle and no recoil almost to the point that I almost felt like I wasn't firing an air rifle. Now I have only been shooting a rifle regularly since last September and in that time I have learnt about the artillery hold and followed advice on this forum which I think has helped me improve my shooting skills considerably.
    The point of this post however is that when I had finished shooting at the 16 one inch circles I realised that my accuracy with a springer was certainly no worse than that using the PCP. Ok, I only shot at the bottom right two circles with the PCP but each circle had 5 pellets shot at it and whilst I may not be able to get groupings consistently within the diameter of a 5p piece I did impress myself, but probably no-one else, with how accurate a springer can be.
    No doubt I might be able to tighten up the groups a lot if I practised with a PCP more but for those who are starting out shooting and are wondering whether they should buy a springer or a PCP then I would just say "Don't write off owning a springer"
    image.jpg
    Dag

ps My springer is aTX200HC
    pps Bottom row of circles had no pellets fired at it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Springers are just as accurate as pcp rifles,

But take a bit more skill to shoot:up:

I miss my springer!

3. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

In my youth ,my Brothers and I practiced shooting 1/2 pennies at 30 yards.

4. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

More are able with a PCP than a Springer

Down to Shooter & Experience

BOB/R

5. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

PCP is easier, but getting the same shot with springer is another feeling altogether. Supremely sublime and truly satisfying like no other..

6. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

I hate these threads, it makes me regret selling my walnut webley longbow sfs tuned springer so much. I could get pcp grouping straight away with it.
    I've tried tracking it down but can't find it. Argh

7. Lee67

Lee67 Posting Addict

Hence why I've just bought a tx200' to get back to that real deal feeling...

8. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Agreed with all - PCP's are no more accurate than a springer, they're just easier to shoot accurately however once you've got the artillery hold sussed the playing field's levelled a bit more.

9. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    as above. both are potentially as accurate as each other in the correct hands. springer owners tend to feel more 'rewarded' when shooting, as a good shot takes more skill and practice compared to pcp, which basically requires an 'aim and shoot' approach.
    personally, i prefer pcp - for me, the whole point of shooting, is to put the pellet exactly where you want it, first and every time - and the pcp does this with the least effort, and skill by the shooter.
    some people refer to pcp's as soulless - i think that they're confusing this with being clinical.
    on the same note, i believe that all pcp owners should have a springer in their collection - if only to keep them on their toes and to remind them of the skill needed to master a good shot

10. dave1962

dave1962 Posting Addict

I think I shoot better with my tx than my r10, I think it's just down to enjoying the the satisfaction of springer shooting.

11. Steve g

Steve g Donator

Miss with a springer and you feel like improving your hold, breathing,follow through etc

Miss with a pc and you feel like taking it to bits;)

12. 177

177 Donator

With any gun it's all about consistent cheek weld, eye/scope alignment, eye relief (comes with consistent cheek weld), breathing control and, arguably the most important, trigger control and shot follow through. I always put those two together since the one naturally leads into the other.

Loads of shooters start to 'jump' slightly to see where their shot landed as they are pulling the trigger, resulting in a snatched shot.

It's hard to learn but once you get the trick of adopting a 'dead' technique you introduce almost no negative factors into the shot.

Most guns, even the entry level ones, can be capable of more than the majority of shooters using them. It falls to the shooter to capitalise on the kit's abilities and remove as many negative introduced influences as possible.

Where PCPs are concerned, arrange a couple of sandbags on a bench so that the gun is lined up on target. Other than slightly steadying the gun, all you should really be doing is sighting trough the scope and cycling each shot. Out to normal ranges almost anyone should be able to print tiny groups like this.

The trick comes when you take the supports away from the gun because then the shooter has to provide a similar 'dead' hold...

A good shot is a good shot no matter which gun it came out of.

A good shot with a springer will always be slightly better in my mind though, because more is required from the shooter to 'make it so' :)

13. nick2303

nick2303 Engaging Member

its all about a consistent hold with all rifles...

took my dad to halifax shooting club a couple times..

1st time was mostly zeroing for my dad..

2nd time he was spot on with the s510.. then i had a go, i was shooting consistant pellet on pellet just one half inch to the left of my dads zero..

gave it him back n he was spot on.. could only put it down to my chubbier cheeks than his, moving my scope view a little different from his...

14. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

A week ago I was of the firm opinion I would never be interested in buying a PCP. Perhaps the purist in me felt it was a much better thing to master, and stick with, a springer. The fact I had never fired a PCP inspired fellow club member Greyskull to offer me the use of his Air Arms S510 for a whole afternoon and this kind offer I took up yesterday at our club range. You will see the results of my shooting with my TX200HC over 35m, in calm weather, in the first post of this thread (apart from the last two targets which were with his PCP) and I thought there was little improvement to be expected from using a PCP. Oh how mistaken I feel now!
    Yesterday afternoon in Surrey, as elsewhere, was a day one should have stayed indoors with a cup of coffee and a good book. It was b****y awful! Not too strong a wind but some nevertheless, but peeing down all afternoon.
    Anyway Greyskull set me up showing me the magazine loading procedure and providing me with his pellets, which of course his rifle is used to, and I spent the next two and a half hours becoming more familiar with the use of a PCP.
    I have attached a copy of the target I used and, whilst there are some stray shots, had great fun with that rifle. Each 1" circle has 5 pellets in it and for the first time I found it relatively easy to keep almost everything within the circle. Ok there are 4 or 5 pellets that strayed out but I have to say the gun is so precise that when these occurred I was truly surprised. With a springer I would have just put it down to a bad shot but honestly I think most of these strays were either pellet based problems or weather realted.
    I have to say my fingers and feet were frozen, it was a horrible afternoon, but I had the most accurate shooting I have yet experienced. Steve, in a previous post described PCP's as "clinical"; yes, I'd have to agree with that. I almost felt over confident when I hit bullseye after bullseye (or very near to it!) and put pellet on pellet on pellet.
    Would I buy a PCP? Most certainly right now, if I was into competition shooting or hunting, but I'll have to stick with my TX200HC as there are of course other associated costs. Was it any less fun than using a springer? No, I still had that sense of satisfaction when I hit the target accurately.
    I like shooting at longer distances than 35m, I wonder if I can persuade Greyskull to let me have another go at 85m!! ;) Anyway, my thanks to him for a great afternoon.
    Dag
    Target2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  15. Ruddles

Ruddles Engaging Member

Pre-decimal halfpennies or the decimal ones? ;)

16. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I was at the range last week and some guy was regularly whacking golf balls at 60 yards. I had a go with my pcp and didn't fair half as well but then I know my extreme range is about 45 yards for hunting and have not practised any further than this. The other guy obviously has and goes to prove its all down to the shooter

17. nick2303

nick2303 Engaging Member

i got a tx200 and its a pleasure to shoot.. i got it 2nd hand (at the least) and people that have had a go with it and the club ask me if its tuned but i have no idea...

thought i'd try a pcp just cos i had a go with a guys s410 and it was loverly, so i got a 2nd hand s510.. it is also wonderful to shoot..

i take both with me when shooting cos i enjoy both equally, but it is a little more satisfying hitting a difficult shot with the tx..

18. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

19. yorkshireshoot

yorkshireshoot Posting Addict

I want to get a springer to go wih my s410 just for the " reward " of hitting something . As said if u rest a pcp you could prob get a sub 1/2" group if you never shot before . I'd also like a springer for hunting as a back up rifle to take as I bet a few lads have got to perm and something's gone wrong with pcp ( seals going , leak etc ) so at least you can still shoot .

20. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

I remember those. I suppose 5p is the new gold standard for air rifle practise. They're often compared to groupings anyway.