1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

First Shotgun

Discussion in 'Shotguns (SGC)' started by Nathan Wind, May 9, 2018.

1. Nathan Wind

Nathan Wind Active Member

Bought my first ever shotgun last week. It's only a cheapo Turkish jobby - my main interest lies in air guns so I didn't want to overspend on what's really just a bit of a dabble. It's a pump action Huglu Atrox 12g. Came with a set of chokes and hard case. I can well imagine they're not great quality at that price, however if I somehow get the itch for shotgun shooting I'm not averse to the idea of spending a lot more on a nice gun. I haven't fired it yet - in fact, I've never fired one at all. The RFD threw in a couple of patterning targets so I'm going to head up to my usual shooting spot at the weekend (with a pal who's familiar with shotguns) and rig up a ply board to attach the target to to and give it a whirl. Should be fun!

Attached Files:

gasman and Vasbyt like this.
  2. Vasbyt

Vasbyt Engaging Member

Nice, What sort of shooting are you looking to do?

3. ste

ste Post Whore

Enjoy it doesn’t matter on the cost I have a beretta I don’t use and I use a £50 gun as I hit a lot more with it than the beretta just remember keep the gun moving even when you have pulled the trigger practice, it’s hard if your used too rifles keeping steady too take the shot

4. Nathan Wind

Not sure at the mo! I just fancied one for the hell of it. You can have them (3-shot max) on the same cert as an air rifle where I live. I have a 4000 acre permission having married into a farming family, so eventually just a bit of pest control roughshooting type stuff probably. I'm not interested in joining any formal shoots or anything like that. I believe there's a clay trap in the extended family, which gets a run out from time to time so I might have a go at that when they next wheel it out of the shed! For the time being I'm just going to set up some static targets at my usual quiet target shooting spot and get used to firing it.

5. rizla1

rizla1 Donator

Mice one mate you be hooked when you start shooting it :up:

6. trebike0

trebike0 Engaging Member

A fella I’ve shot with a couple of times at a club has the Turkish ATA over and under ,it does exactly the same as mine no problem.

7. Nathan Wind

Oh for sure. The quality feels fine to me but I have no point of comparison and given what I'd happily spend on an airgun, under £300 for a 12 guage pump, a hard case and two boxes of shells seems silly cheap!

8. Vasbyt

Vasbyt Engaging Member

I was going to say a bit of rough shooting or pigeon control and the pump'd be fine. Informal clay/trap shooting should be okay as well.

9. Mortimer

Mortimer Lord Haw Haw

If you've never fired a shotgun before, I can understand shooting at a board to feel what it's like :) but you need to pull that trap out of the shed and get your mate to help you shoot a few clays. Better still, go to a sporting clay ground and spend what you can afford trying a variety of clays from the various angles. As said, getting--literally--into that swing of the barrel is important.
    Enjoy your new gun. :up:

10. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

I have not seen one of these before, the mag tube looks like it is an extended high capacity one. Is this the standard mag on a version of these guns or an extra.
    Do they do a high capacity and a standard capacity or is it two separate models.
    Are you allowed a plug or is the tube anti tamper where you are.
    Sorry for all the questions:)

https://www.roefirearms.co.uk/image/cache/data/atrox-s-1000x1335.jpeg

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  11. Nathan Wind

It does look like a full length mag, yeah. RFD said it's a 2+1 though, so presumably it's blanked off somehow internally and left like that to retain the look of the gun. Seems odd though as you'd think someone with a bit of engineering nous (that's not me, btw :p) could get around that....

I'll find out when I load it up this weekend I guess. If the shells keep on feeding in, it'll be going back to the shop!

Dunno regarding your other questions. RFD said it had only recently come in and was the first one they had.

I've had a little Google this morning and there's a clay shooting coach not ten minutes drive from where I live, so I'm going to get some lessons booked over the summer :)

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    r10hunter likes this.
  12. Shotaholic

Shotaholic Engaging Member

Magazine length 70-something mm? Sounds like that's more likely to be the maximum length cartridge the chamber can take (you can use shorter cartridges but not longer). If the magazine was 70-something mm it would only hold one cartridge. RFD could not sell you the gun if it was more than a 2+1 unless you have the shotgun under a S1 FAC.

13. r10hunter

I don’t think he is in this country though I’m not sure where he is.
    Some countries just allow fitting of a mag plug like we used to do here for hunting.
    The mag looks very long but could be anti tamper restricted to two rounds of course.

14. Nathan Wind

Yeah sorry, that was the chamber not the mag - edited out my error. It's 2+1 for sure. Have since had her out :)

15. gasman

gasman Has a Massive member

Very nice mate your love it, just one thing I’d say, throw them plastic snap caps in the bin straight away, horrible things them, the rim breaks of and they get stuck in your barrel, enjoy mate

16. trebike0

trebike0 Engaging Member

Are you saying snap caps are not good ,or the plastic ones in particular.

17. gasman

gasman Has a Massive member

Plastic one, get some brass ones

Nathan Wind likes this.
  18. trebike0

trebike0 Engaging Member

Ok cheers for the info .

19. Patrick

Patrick Donator

If it's got 70mm on it it probably means it's chambered for cartridges with a maximum length of 2.75"(70mm)as opposed to 3 inch(76mm) cartridges which are used in guns with 3.5" chambers.

20. r10hunter

The size written on the shell is the size chamber the shell will fit. You don’t need a 3.5 inch chamber to shoot a 3 inch shell and so on.
    The size marked on a shell is it’s fired length not pre fired.
    [​IMG]
    A 3.5 inch chamber fires up to a 3.5 inch 89mm shell.
    A 3 inch chamber fires up to a 3 inch 76mm shell.