1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

First one of the new season

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Accuspell, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Well, it is nearly the end of September and the stubbles are getting turned over and the new crops are starting to go in - large acreages are being drilled or ploughed and disced rapidly. I thought if I was going to get some decoying on the stubbles done I had better get cracking. I started out before light to get the hide built and decoys in place and installed in the hide ready for the first flight.

[​IMG]

The hide was placed 30 yards from a large ash, which is a popular sitty tree for both crows and pigeons, the odd magpie sits up there to cackle as well. My plan was that most of the birds would be taken out of the tree as the field falls away over a crest and there is nothing I can do about that. I had the deeks set out at 30 yards in a pattern that left a hole for the live birds to drop into where I could see them. The tree was in shot through the hazels to the side of the hide. It was buried quite deep in the hide and I knew we were placed and concealed when a pigeon landed in the tree before I had finished the hide! I was tucked under the hazls and reached for the rifle, lined up slowly and dropped the first bird of the day before I had even started.

It didn't go well from then on though - the birds hadn't read the script and they were dropping in over the drop away and I couldn't even see their heads, but I knew they were still there and more birds dropped in, five in a group at one point. Then another pigeon landed on the elder bush, less than 10 yards from the hide. I poked the barrel through the hazel and gave it a BDC for being so close, but with the pulling of the trigger came the tell tale sound of the pellet drilling through a twig and part of my cover wilted away! b****r. At the report all my live decoys over the crest took wing, there must have been a dozen on the deck. The dogs were curled up neatly, good as gold and the look Tigs, the young pretender, gave me was total disdain - he knew I had missed. He sat up expectantly, but with no word of command for him to go and fetch the spoils he realised his master had fluffed it. He was not impressed.

We sat it out for an hour or so, then a surprise opportunity presented itself. I poked the barrel out through the net and took aim on the stubble.

[​IMG]

As soon as the target stopped and sat up I let fly. It was 1/4 on and I had to draw an imaginary line through the vitals and pick my spot accordingly. A head shot was not an option in the circumstances. The pellet hit home perfectly.......this time Tigs did have something to fetch. I sent him out and he struggled with the weight a bit, but eventually he found the balance point and brought the great lump back to me....

the first one of the season. Then we went for a walk and picked a tub of blackberries, they go well with it, adding a bit of natural sweetness.

[​IMG]

For those newcomers who are unsure of their quarry, to drop oneof these magnificent creatures you need to be precise with your shot placement. The front of the face of a hare is a large area and the risk of deflection from the front is great, which is why I took the boiler house shot - you can see the entry and the tell tale frothy, bright red blood from the nostrils is proof that my pellet drove through the lungs and probably wasn't far off the heart - I will know when I paunch it tomorrow.

[​IMG]

You cannot do this with a rabbit - they will expire quickly, but they will be well down their burrow when they do. A surface dwelling creature, which the hare is, will seek cover, but not go to ground, besides I have the means of recovery beside me, and he can catch a perfectly fit and healthy hare, so one with its lungs leaking is no problem. If you get the chance, think very carefully before actually shooting, you need pinpoint placement. Side on, the normal head shot is the one to take, front on, be more selective and only take the shot if you are confident of being able to drive through the heart and lungs - and I would say only then if you have access to a retrieval dog because they can go 50 or 60 yards even with their heart smashed - far enough to lose it if you don't see where it goes. All I am saying is be respectful and careful when taking on these magnificent creatures. We have quite a few, even so I probably won't shoot another one this side of Christmas - but they are a fabulous treat.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. themadspread

themadspread Donator

nice write up and good shooting well done

3. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Ile say it again simon cracking write up but even better lurcher love it

4. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Good read Simon,

Always amazed how hares just roll over and die, no fight in them when shot.

Andrew

5. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Nice read mate,

I just got the first of the hares in the shop today:up:

6. Seamaster

Seamaster Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I shoot hares regularly from about now until January.
    That shot was irresponsible. Whether you have a retrieve option or not you should NEVER shoot a hare with a heart/lung shot with an air rifle.
    You should be ashamed of yourself. Your post is self serving and wrong.
    Have a word with yourself Simon, this is the largest quarry that an airgunner can take and the frothy mess on the hare's face is prove that it bled out from it's nose.
    Please, if you shoot hare with an air rifle, headshot only.
    Disgusting.

Chris

7. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Really?

What about foxes, wild boar, small deer and even antelope......do you mean this is the largest quarry you can take with 12ft-lbs?

8. Seamaster

Yes I meant that.
    I no longer shoot anything other than sub 12ft lb air rifle.
    I enjoy your narrative Simon but I think shooting Hares is a particular responsibility. I've seen them run down a line of shotguns, taking shot and squealing. They are tough but will roll over and die with a headshot from an air rifle. They are a problem on one farm that I have permission on and I do take them with head shots.
    Since 1998 I haven't shot centre fire, rim fire or shotgun, my own choice as I prefer the "up close and personal" and really just being out there amongst it.
    To shoot a hare in the heart/lung area with an air rifle is wrong.
    You state that a head shot wasn't on. In that case mate, don't take the fugging shot, simple.

Chris

9. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Cant see whats irresponabile when hes a long dog there what will catch a hare on its own id say a head shot is irresponable with a sub 12 air gun seems tho a hares head is very elongated and extremly strong. id also of thought been a rapid and the op been some sort of land manager theres a strong possabilty the rapids fac which could still richochet of the hares head causing danger around. Air gun quarry can run and bleed out on head shots from rat to hare having back up such as a long dog / lurcher to retrive the shot game is prob most responcabile hunting post been posted in a while just my opinion

Still shooting hares full stop in my own and alot of hunters is classed unsporting but who are we to judge another persons hunt based on our own opinions. Atvb dave g

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  10. Seamaster

This is the last one I shot last year. About 35yds off the bipod and through the head.
    Dead as quick as a rabbit shot in the brain.
    [​IMG]
    I never seem to get any satisfaction from shooting hares, like I do with rabbits, squirrels, pigeons and rats, don't know why but I just think we have to be particularly careful.
    They are the sub 12 airgunners big game.

Chris

11. Seamaster

I feel I have a right to judge because I've been doing this for nearly forty years.
    For that same reason I respect your judgement too. It doesn't change my opinion but I'm so thankfull that these kind of debates can be had on here.

Chris

12. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Edited my original to highlight a relevant section, in respect of your views.

13. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Deer stalkers dont shoot deer head on they lung / heart shoot them and they bleed out a dog tracks them is that classed irresponsible if u took a head shot on you deer stalking cert course theyed be a good chance you would be declined it . But yeah mate it is goid that these things can be talked about like adults atvb dave g

14. neiled

neiled Donator

Sorry but I'm confused about your post so can you please clarify your statement of "What about foxes, wild boar, small deer and even antelope......do you mean this is the largest quarry you can take with 12ft-lbs?".......are you saying these can be shot with FAC Air Rifles?

15. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

I have a friend in the USA who uses a Rapid .25 to take coyotes out to 80 yards, wild boar (hogs they call them). I am sure there are some pictures on here of wild boar taken with an air rifle in Hawaii - you wouldn't want to try and drag one down the mountain, they were 300lbers. Just do some searching and I am sure you will find all sorts to interest you - type in "big game hunting with an air rifle" and see what takes your fancy. Although, I was actually being flippant in my reply - knowingly.

16. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

If your going to shoot hares with airguns the head is the best place for the shot just like a rabbit.

I see them everyday no further than 15-20ft away but I don't shoot them as I do believe in a lot of old superstition regarding hares.

I shot one as a lad with the airgun i was with my dad, i was no further than 10 ft from this hare when it stopped, and i decided to lung shoot that and it took off, so i took chase and it made it half way accros a field to a fence where i grabbed it just 12 yrs old and had to kill it with my bare hands while it screamed, it was the size of a small whippet a real full grown big hare.

My dad came running down to me, as I sat there looking shocked he said dont worry son and sat me down and pulled a cigar out of his pocket and said here son don't tell your mum, so I sat at the side of this big hare and smoked a hamlet.

Jump forward 20yrs i burried my dad just the other side of that fenceline the hare was running to.

I still have permission down on that farm and went for an hour last year and I sat under this tree had a smoke and remembered the event with the hare and I could see my dads grave from where I sat, then a great big hare came down the wood right to me and stopped 10 ft away and just sat staring at me.

Even though my gun was in my lap a finished my smoke with a smile on my face and the hair on the back of my kneck was stood on end, mysterious isnt the word.

17. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

He'll always be with you out in the field. Like my father is with me on the water.

One of my favurite stories is of the Belstone Fox - we have family that farm not far from where that story is based and it has a basis of truth about it too.

18. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

True simon they are always with you, mine is with me most on the river bank as thats all I did towards the last few years, every bit of time I had was invested into fishing with my dad, I just knew somehow I had to be with him even though he wasnt ill.

Anyhow do tell us the tale about the fox as im a firm believer in that we as humans do not know everything like we think we do, but some animals sense somethings and i beieve simetime give signs away.

Call it crazy talk but ive known some wierd things happen in the countryside like my dads mate who died lamping in my dads younger day, fell down a quarry in the dark.

He had one eye, then they all had a meet and the guys brother went the following months with the terriers anyway as they got down to the first fox they dug, it had one eye! The lad was convinced it was his brother and told them not to kill it, they had to take him home they said it freaked him out so bad it was upsetting.

19. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

The Belstone fox was one that although hunted each season, never got caught. It always found a way of outwitting the hounds, once it took them onto the railway line and several couple were killed - anyway it was given best each time by the huntsman. The mutual respect comes out at the end when the huntsman dies (I forget how, it may have been a hunting accident, but I can't remember the Both these films will have ) and the fox goes to the cemetary and lies down on the newly dug grave of the huntsman - and was a regular visitor to the churchyard from then on.

Very similar to your hare story.

The book about the legend was written by David Rook, who also wrote another story set on Dartmnoor, near Hexworthy, called The White Colt - it was portrayed in a film with the title of "Run Wild, Run Free". Both of these books, or films, will have you welling up - if you have any understanding or compassion in your heart.

20. Damon

Damon Posting Addict

Nothing at all wrong with a well placed heart and lung shot, I will often use them in the field if a head shot is awkward. I was born and bred in the countryside and have always shot all types of quarry. However I have to say there is something about a Hare, they are a very mysterious creature and one that each time I see make the hairs on my neck stand up. For that reason I would never shoot one and prefer to watch them but each to their own and as long as it's done humanely as it clearly was fill your boots. Great write up by the way.