1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

First attempt with lathe went well in my opinion

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by tomsteebs, Mar 8, 2014.

1. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

hi,

well today i decided to have a go at this lathe business. i ordered a axminster hobby lathe earlier this week and read through the booklet and watched a youtube video and away i went. firstly i set it up from the youtube video and then tried to round off a piece of pine. this was pretty easy to be honest so tried rounding off a small bit of beech and that was probably easier as it was denser to less inclined chip.

anyway i was ready to stop there for today and carry on another day, but i thought what the hell and just put a piece of walnut in and went about doing a simple bolt handle for my fx2000. i choose walnut as it was easily available and relatively cheap.

so here's a few pictures, i dont like the style of it, but im fairly happy with it's finish, but not 100%.

next time i will try one of my other idea's on another exotic blank, some very nice woods there to
    :up:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

Nice bit of turning there mate. Do you have a multipoint turning tool. If not they are worth their weight in gold for turning small items as they are more forgiving than a skew chisel but allow you to do some amazing detailing very easily.
    keep up the good work:up:

3. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    looks good mate - my advice would be to practice on the cheaper woods before movin onto the more exotic pieces. and remember, take it slow and steady, you can remove material, but cant put it on - tool the piece to near size, then sand it. pm matty for tooling advice, he has made some good contacts, and ask him to recommend the turning forum that he is a member of

4. Count Jedi

Count Jedi Donator

Like above that does look good IMHO

5. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

my tools currently are 3 chisels,

record/marple of sheffield

gouge 13mm
    screw 13mm probs
    that arrow shaped one (i think it cuts a fine line or completely parts?) 13mm probs
    live centre
    faceplate
    the other centre piece whatever it is...

my live centre seems okay its the other end head stock centre? that is too wide really as you can see i had to leave about 5mm un-turned so i didn't turn the centre thing (lol, this is how much i know about this ;))

made one thing and already need to buy more tools, is this how it will be forever :help:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  6. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Nicely turned and although using cheap wood is good for practice, you need to keep the tools sharp. My avice is buy a good quality revolving sharpening stone. I use a Dekota Wetstone not cheap But worth its weight in gold http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodwo...fers-wetstone-sharpening-system-dakota+dk1250
    I've have two lates from Axminster one for metal and a jet for wood, there costumer service is excellent. Get your self down to the Axminster showroom in Nuneaton, got some cracking stuff, including wood and acrilic for turning.

Andrew

7. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

thanks andrew,

lol, did you have to remind me that the tools will at some stage become blunt and i will need to sharpen them by means of buying new kit ;) the gouge and screw weren't too sharp along the hole edge tbh...

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Also if you want tools that are easy to sharpen, get a skew and a scraper,you can sharpen them by hand with a very small stone (I use a medium/fine oil stone)

Next thing to move onto is acrylics,turn it like wood and finish it like metal (autosol etc)

My advice for you regarding the drive center being too big is to turn your piece (lets call it 20mm) out of a 40mm bit of wood,leaving 10mm at either end which can be parted off (using your 'arrow' tool which is a parting tool used for seperating wood) once your happy with the finish.

9. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

i never used a live centre for turning small stuff, found a dead centre better for me.
    i think the arrow shaped one you refer to is a parting tool, for cutting of and can scrape/cut flat bottomed grooves
    get plenty of practise and watch some online videos. The most important thing i was ever taught was to allow the trailing edge of the tool support the cutting edge, this saves no end of dig ins and gives a really fine finish. Sanding is important but but a really experienced turner once said to me "if you cant cut it you cant sand it". I think he was trying to tell me that no amount of heavy sanding can substitute for good chisel skills.
    if you get short of small bit of hardwood to practise on drop me a line and i will go and raid the carpentry workshop (part of the business I run) plenty of beech and sapele to practise with:D

10. mattyts

mattyts Donator

This is how I sharpen my tools (pic from another forum)

just a wooden plate with 320 grit paper on,at 300 RPM and use the tool rest to support your tools while sharpening them
    DSCF1320 (2).JPG

11. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

cheers matt, as ever, more knowledge then a veteran physician :rolleyes:

i did the process you mentions with regards to leaving some wood and parting off....

12. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

nice idea, quick too and most importantly, cheap :D

13. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I now use just 2 tools for my turning, a square and round tipped custom tools I had made for me at different lengths, with the square tips you have 4 sides to cut on then replace the tip,the round ones last for ages as essentially you have a 360 degree cutting edge to use,just keep rotating it

DSCF2105.JPG DSCF2106.JPG (borrowed pics again :rolleyes:)

14. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

This is a great idea of Matts just make sure you invest in really good quality bonded paper as it makes all the difference. Otherwise if you already have a bench grinder the have a look on Peter Childs turning website and they have loads of info on different wheel types. Its also a great site for all things 'turning' and he's a nice bloke to boot.

15. mattyts

mattyts Donator

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290853703834?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

16. Soximus

Soximus Busy Member

Behind you! Mwhahahahah Just kidding. Christchurch
    Opinions are subjective... :D

Joking aside looks great for a first go......never really got on with wood turning myself....not bad with metal though.....

Well done. I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress as this is looking good.:up:

17. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

nifty idea that

18. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

I hate the style i just did it randomly :p

i just think the piece turned out well in terms out fit and finish (it can be improved definitely.)

19. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

20. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I haven't seen those,I've just kept the tool cool by dipping it in water,also not too keen on 3,000 RPM bench grinders since they remove too much material,tools will just be little stumps in a few weeks ;) the slow water trench ones are nice though :)